ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sburrell's ph1 172 track project (maybe)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
uploadfromtaptalk1429306548097.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429306561592.jpg

Cage painting complete! Just need some steel plate and bolts to get it fitted now.

Also pulled a seat out to trial fit my subframes and buckets (passenger side to keep the car mobile lol) but quickly found a shortage of bolts, so that plan died. Gonna hopefully go get some bolts tomorrow morning and try again.

Tomorrows main job though is to remove my fucked driveshaft. Should be getting a replacement Monday so want everything stripped and ready to rebuild on the weeknights. That's the plan anyway. We'll see how well it actually goes [emoji23]

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Stu can you stop showing me up by doing such a nice job on the cage.

Looking good matey. Damn I need more funds to put in to mine.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Something like this for the inside to bolt through the subframe and car, M8 size:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/191385019719?nav=SEARCH&varId=490498082684

Also depending where you attach the outside eye you might need the following:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-belt-harness-eye-bolt-metric-M10-x-1-5mm-thread-/260680326084

Failing this just bolt them through the car with spreader plates I guess [emoji14]
Cheers bud, that's perfect! Single M8 ones are out of stock though. Typical lol! May just buy the pack of 20 and sell the rest on...

Stu can you stop showing me up by doing such a nice job on the cage.

Looking good matey. Damn I need more funds to put in to mine.
Lol, give it a few weeks, there was zero prep work done on that cage so I'm fully expecting flaky paint after a while [emoji23]

The seats are the only thing I've really put a decent chunk of money into, well, and the coilies but they were too good a deal to pass up lol. Everything else is extremely slow progress and buying used things. Hard to believe I've had the car nearly 7 months now [emoji33]

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Today was a pretty lazy day. I fitted my seats and gave the car a hoover while I had the old seats out.

I tried to get the cage in place for bolting next week but that was a total disaster. I'll need to take out the carpets and stuff anyway which I didn't really think about when I was trying to squeeze it in!

Seats went in easy though, got M8 bolts this morning from an engineering company down the road from me and cracked on. My only issue now is that the subframes aren't sitting flat. I think I'll need to space them up with washers or something.

Anyway, some pics!

Passenger side trial fit...
uploadfromtaptalk1429381521375.jpg

And both in
uploadfromtaptalk1429381557249.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429381570361.jpg

Can see there that they're not sitting flat.

I love the height of the seat now. Its pretty much perfect IMO. Maybe needs tweaked a bit on the subframe as it feels like I'm sort of facing the clutch pedal, so makes reaching the accelerator a bit awkward feeling. Hopefully just squint on the subframe though. Or may be because its not sitting flat.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Done some more today. Straightened up my bucket seats. Needed to remove the spacers below the seats on one side to level things off. Eye bolts and everything also arrived today so my harnesses are now fitted in properly.

Made epic progress on my driveshaft replacement too. I've now loosened one more nut and bolt! Successful evening if I do say so myself lol.

Ordered some Brembo HC discs from George today too, so took my old discs and pads off. Sliders were sticking on the calipers so freed them up and greased them. Temporary measure until I fully refurb my spare calipers, but it at least means the new discs and pads should wear evenly for now once fitted.

Then I got bored with doing real work and decided I wanted to clean up the arches while everything was stripped off.

Went from this
uploadfromtaptalk1429650493462.jpg

To this
uploadfromtaptalk1429650517998.jpg

And the other side...minging...
uploadfromtaptalk1429651025752.jpg

Clean!
uploadfromtaptalk1429651079215.jpg

Not perfect but I couldn't be arsed going too mental on them. Attacked the grime with some Auto Finesse Verso, rinsed down, then covered the lot in tar remover (Autobrite's Just The Tonic). Will probably IPA the arch liner plastics (or what's left of them) tomorrow and give it a coat with whatever I can find that's suitable.

Not much else planned now. Going away up north on Saturday for a week, so just really getting the car in a good position to enjoy some of the roads up there properly! Need to remember and order a boss to get my wheel fitted. Bought an OMP one on here and it doesn't fit, so that'll teach me. Going Momo this time.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I has acquired another gearbox....
uploadfromtaptalk1429820709189.jpg

Its a JC5-120 and I have absolutely no clue what car it's originally from, but it has a circlip diff in a better condition than mine, so I'll be swapping that part out tomorrow.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Only need 4 gears at knockhill anyway 😂😂

This is just essentially the same box as the ph1 but with a couple of different ratios. 1st and 2nd are shorter, and 4th and 5th are longer. Think its possibly a diesel box, maybe from a Clio dci or a kangoo or something. Will at least get the car mobile again!

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Looking like a lot of fun!

I'm hoping to do a few track days in mine!

Where did you get the wheel centres printed? And what cost if you don't mind me asking? I need some for the wifes f1's.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
interesting to see how that works mate....
Won't be using the whole box so no changes to the ratios but I hope that me mucking about with the diff holds up lol.
Looking like a lot of fun!

I'm hoping to do a few track days in mine!

Where did you get the wheel centres printed? And what cost if you don't mind me asking? I need some for the wifes f1's.
Its only fun fixing it when the weather is good. Been lucky this week, its usually pissing down lol!

There was a guide for the centre caps on here mate, I'll find it when I'm on a computer but they weren't expensive. 30 quid or something for the set.

Many.
Good progress sir, Have fun with the box, they are a right pig to take apart and put back together unless you do them everyday.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Thanks i'll take a look.

I have my own workshop and i still have to work on my cars outside! 😂

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Today has been a long ass day! Acquired new gearbox yesterday, attempted to remove diff cup today. Tried, failed, gave up, and decided to fit another box.

So thanks to @Fraser.J. and @Stu. I got a new box fitted tonight, and all is well again. Got the box out in under 2 hours, and the new one was pretty much back in in the same time but the steering was notchy as hell and felt like it was catching when it all went back together.

Think the rack had twisted a bit, so some further playing with that and it was sorted.

So yeah. Car lives again! In amongst all of this I actually fitted some new front discs and pads top. Will dig through photos of everuthing tomorrow and fire them up when I get a chance. Everything can get to f**k just now though, I'm knackered and going to bed 😂

Last edited:
  172 Ph1
I was going to say if you needed any help with info on stripping Id be able to help - but just read you put a unit straight in no messing about . Lol .

With regards to notchy steering check the U/J at the base of the column

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I was going to say if you needed any help with info on stripping Id be able to help - but just read you put a unit straight in no messing about . Lol .

With regards to notchy steering check the U/J at the base of the column

Yeah, somehow it seemed the best way [emoji23]

Cheers mate, I might end up stripping down one of the other boxes in future and rebuilding it if I'm feeling brave, so may still call in some help lol!

I think the steering was exactly that. Loosened the rack off a little and got it to the point where it turned easiest and just tightened it there, so I'm assuming it was the UJ being slightly twisted and not turning freely.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not much of an update, but been on holiday this week and took a drive out today through some of the roads up the north of Scotland.

uploadfromtaptalk1430509144853.jpeg

The roads were quite simply awesome! Wish I lived up here! [emoji23] That's the only pictures I really took at that one spot. The rest was just driving although I got it all on my dashcam so I'll have a look through all that when I'm home and maybe put a few clips up!

Anyway, cars feeling decent after the box change! Doesn't rattle me to death any more...

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Been a productive week this. Gave the car a proper clean and decon on my bank holiday Monday there. Starting early with the Scottish Car Show prep work lol. Was minging! Tar remover, iron x, the lot...was still a mess afterwards so attacked it with a clay mitt and eventually got it clean. Seemed like it'd ever been properly decon'd in its life!

Note...DO NOT use a clay mitt on areas that still have tar remover on them! Ruined the mitt, and it decided to leave half the mitt material on the car! Came off mind you, but still scared me a bit.

Also tackled a few scratches (of which it has MANY) with the machine polisher. Came up fairly well. Anyway, photo wh0ring time!

IMG_20150504_210631.jpg

IMG_20150504_210716.jpg

Scratch removal. Google+ decided to put the 'after' photo first here for some reason...
IMG_20150504_193941-COLLAGE.jpg

So, done that, some other bits on the side panels, the spoiler, and bootlid. All came up fairly well as far as scratch removal is concerned! Will get it under some harsh halogen lights closer to SCS to reveal the proper issues and get started on swirl removal. For now though it's made an awesome improvement. Lol at detailing a track car though! It's a practice canvas, that's my excuse 😂

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So now this weekend's work. Continued with some scratch removal yesterday afternoon when I got home from work.

This abomination under the mirror was never coming out, but it's been dulled down a lot
IMG_20150508_134941-COLLAGE.jpg

Had another go at the scratch from the previous post with some G3 scratch remover. Improved it a little more
IMG_20150508_140536-COLLAGE.jpg

Then some marks on the door from rings and keys by the looks of it
IMG_20150508_135700-COLLAGE.jpg

Also gave the headlights a quick going over
IMG_20150508_141826.jpg

Then I got bored of polishing. So trial fitted my old 25mm spacers I had lying around.
Before:
IMG_20150508_151526.jpg

During. Weird high amounts of camber going on with the car in the air:
IMG_20150508_151516.jpg

And after:
IMG_20150508_151857.jpg

Such an improvement! Will probably sell these and get a set of H&R's or something though. There's a tiny bit of vibration at speed from the wheel balancing not being perfect once they're on and I don't really want that on track. Perfect for road use though.

Oh, then I fitted my skoda splitter. Looks so much better now
IMG_20150508_163226.jpg

And polished my exhaust...LackOfStealthBecausePh1FTL
IMG_20150508_181955.jpg

Then got carried away with photoshopping the front end. Is it bad that I like the smoothed bonnet look? Also, can't help but think the lack of vertical fin bits on the lower grille would look epic with a big intercooler behind it...
IMG_20150508_182034-01.jpeg

Then I got bored of car things.

Last edited:

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Today, I headed round to @benji93's for some more car things, since he'd just got his back after it being away at a garage for 5 weeks! Got some new exhaust hangers fitted to his 182, then I got mine indoors for some more polishing, and his outdoors for a bit of cleaning.

Panoramic photos ftw
PANO_20150509_143615-01.jpeg

Front end polishing was going well until I caught the number plate and it came flying off...
Although I do kinda like the look of it without a number plate 🙈
IMG_20150509_160139.jpg

Some more scratch removal shots now.

Front was in a s**t state. Still is, but just a slightly better s**t state...
IMG_20150509_160659-COLLAGE.jpg

Back bumper came up well though. Before and after photos are all mixed up again here
IMG_20150509_171029-COLLAGE.jpg

IMG_20150509_171033-COLLAGE.jpg

IMG_20150509_171854-COLLAGE.jpg

That's about it for now. Looking no bad for a 15 year old sub £1000 car!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Love this dude. Love the after and befores though "see this clean panel, i'm now going to scratch it" haha
Cheers buddy :smile: Hahah yeah, "this panel would look much better with a big scratch in it!" Google seems to just put the photos in any order it wants when I merge them together!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Got some track tyres last night
uploadfromtaptalk1433524091190.jpg

Set of R888s and a pair of kumho's supposedly used in the clio cup series. Couldn't pass them up at the price, so might try and find another pair and that'll be 2 full sets I have.

Gonna put the R888s on my old 15" dci wheels for now though if they fit. 205 width of a 6.5j rim could be interesting.

Plan for the weekend is hopefully fit tyres and cage. Order some RC5+ pads and fit them in prep for an open pit day next friday.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Fitted cage today. Became 10% more racecar.

uploadfromtaptalk1433708030314.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1433708084563.jpg

Still have all the tar to remove :(
uploadfromtaptalk1433708143546.jpg

And another photo I found quite cool for good measure
uploadfromtaptalk1433708184659.jpg

Put my R888's on wheels too. Productive day. Just brakes to sort and book up for friday. Oh, and get spacers so the R888's will clear my coilovers.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I keep meaning to reply to your thread Stu! Car is coming along really nicely, lots of good and perfect mods to make it a real cracker on track. Surely our cars are pretty much along the same lines! I've even got a failed tripod on a driveshaft at the moment ha

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I keep meaning to reply to your thread Stu! Car is coming along really nicely, lots of good and perfect mods to make it a real cracker on track. Surely our cars are pretty much along the same lines! I've even got a failed tripod on a driveshaft at the moment ha

Lol cheers man! Looking forward to getting out in it on proper track rubber. They're SG compound (softest) though so we'll see how long they last!

Get that driveshaft sorted! [emoji33] Before it ruins your diff like it did to mine haha

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Think I've got a heat gun in the garage. Between that, some tardis and whatever apc I have it shouldn't be too difficult. I hope...

Well, it took me about 30-40 mins doing it at a gentle pace. Just don't leave the heat in one place for too long.
For a scraper I used an old window ice scraper. The idea being the plastic would be more gentle than using a metal scraper.