ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running in 1.2 16v engine

Hi,

Please can you advise me on the best way to run in the little 1.2 16v engine from new. Also, Ive read quite a few posts saying that before you open up the engine it should be warmed up first. How long do you leave it before its warmed up? I take it thats oil as opposed to water temp warmed up? How many miles would I have to cover before I can seriously put my foot down? Say, if Ive driven for 3 miles does that mean the oils up to working temp??

Thanks everyone! :)

182, GTR, C63

Id say leave it 10 mins or over before its warmed up and Id also say you should be gentle for around a 1000 miles. If your not planning on keeping it long dont bother running it in. Upto you and how much you want to look after it or want it to last.

Yaris Hybrid

I find the limiter is still coming in early after 15 minutes or so in my car! Its a b**ch for getting warmed up properly. I guess that smaller engines warm up quicker though.

Lionel Richie

Let it warm up for 10min, then nail the sh*te out of it!!!!

dont bother running it in, no point

i didnt and mine is still going strong after 72000miles (infact id say its the quickest 1.2 16v going!!! 86bhp last time it was on the rolling road)

Octy vRS & Ninja 650

yeah, just rag it from the beginning like i did. Then have to keep on taking it back cus the ngines knackered!!!! Doh :p

RB182cup&golf gti

The manual says 625 miles dont exceed 4k revs, id do that personally. Warm up usually takes 5 miles/20 mins driving.

how did i run my 1.2 16v in???

warmed the engine up to temperature before driving hard, then had the next 18k miles @ 33mpg spending most of its time near to 6500rpm

running in - no thanks, straight from the box, abuse it, its got a 3 yr warranty ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 10 April 2005
(infact id say its the quickest 1.2 16v going!!! 86bhp last time it was on the rolling road)

shame mine died an ugly death, im sure it would have been up there with yours [;)}

Exactly the way I see it. Not planning to keep it for more than 2 years and got it with 60 miles on the clock where my dad had driven it home. Nailed the sh*t out of it from day one, done 19k now and still going strong except for some weird idling but then I go to Mr Nice Man at Renault and go

"Fix me"

And nail the sh*t out of it all over again.

172 cup'd extreme

There is only one way to drive them rag them - until at 40k like mine and the bottom end goes and its using a litre of oil every 100 miles!

My g/fs 1.2 16v is only just gone over 5000miles and not gone over 4K RPM yet lol!

Will have to take it out for a sneaky spin one night......

Took mine steady for the first 3 miles, got bored and just thrashed it since. Just done 11k miles and Im sure it feels faster than it did a few months back

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by hoe261 on 10 April 2005

The manual says 625 miles dont exceed 4k revs, id do that personally. Warm up usually takes 5 miles/20 mins driving.
a common misconception these days is that you MUST run you new car in!!

BULLsh*t!!!

were not talking about ford anglias here!!!

Modern engines are so well made these days they dont need to be run in, its just the manufactures covering there arses

Remapped derv Golf

Thing is....a 1.2 Clio isnt a rare expensive car!

Just run it in how you feel fit.

You could trash it everywehere,never clean it and it will still be worth f all in 3 years!

The car has 3 years warrenty so dont worry - just dont go bouncing it off the limiter all the time whilst its very new and on a cold engine.