ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rojer's 182

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
10,000 mile update!

So i have had the car for almost three months now and done over 10k, in that time i like to think i have saved it somewhat. When i first picked up the car is was clear the previous owner did care for it, however the lack of funds saw some cheap parts and quick fixes. I'm not saying the car is perfect now, it never will be but it's slowly getting better and better in my ownership. I have never had such a connection straight away with a car. On the test drive i took it down some lanes and i was beaming, from that point on i knew the car was coming home with me. With potential job and life plans i may not be able to keep the high level of upgrades/maintenance i would like, it may even result in selling the car :( For now i don't want to worry about that and want to focus on enjoying every minute behind the wheel.

With that in mind i took the car for an enthusiastic drive during the week around 2/3am and i managed to set the brakes on fire! I came to a stop and smoke was bellowing out from the wheels. The previous owner did replace the brakes all round, but I can tell it's just cheap s**t in there atm.

Yesterday i gave the car a scrub, i am quite interested in detailing and own a machine polisher, but i am far too lazy to sit there claying it then waxing and polishing etc etc. I would much rather pay someone else to do it for me! My friend just purchased some Gyeon Wet coat and I must say this is perfect for the lazy detailer! You wash the car as normal and when the car is still wet you spray all over the car and then rinse off. You get instant beading and protection for quite a while.

20170318_120337.jpg
20170318_120347.jpg
20170318_120353.jpg
20170318_123453.jpg

In the near future i have the following plans/items to buy:

* Brake upgrade all round (discs, pads, fluid, lines potentially calipers)
* Bilstein B14s, new front and rear top mounts
* New PAS pump (fitting in a week)
* 197 cams & remap (fitting in a week)
* Rear axle brake line as its starting to corrode (fitting in a week)
* Replacement climate control panel (buttons have rubbed away)
* Gear stick insert or PMS shifter
* Door grabs (all sticky and nasty)
* Hazard switch surround as it has a small broken piece
* New pedals
* New matts
* Replace missing aerial
* Wheel replacement or refurb
* Repair the bolster wear on the seat
* Front splitter
* Maybe a cup or trophy spoiler

After that it would be paintwork or turbo, depends on how everything goes in the next few weeks. If anyone has any of the parts listed above or has any recommendations for me that would be great :)

Attachments

• d9970a4478d523283917827dec711dc1.jpg
    d9970a4478d523283917827dec711dc1.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 80

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
10k in 3 months you must have spent more in fuel than you have on the car! Fair pay though, just shows an old clio can do the daily duties without imploding like the Internet will have you believe.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
10k in 3 months!! Jeeeeeeeeesus. Mine's not even done 4k in a year. Looks like you're looking after it so fair play to you @Rojer :up: keep it up.

Thank you sir.

I was thinking that, 10k in 3 months!!! :fearscream:

I've done 1k since last May in mine BUT you're the one out using it and enjoying it bud, fair play!

Lol how do you do so little mileage? Use another car?

10k in 3 months you must have spent more in fuel than you have on the car! Fair pay though, just shows an old clio can do the daily duties without imploding like the Internet will have you believe.

Yer i have been very impressed tbh, obviously its not the most refined car to travel in. Saying that i do alot of miles everyday and sometimes the car will get abused and i have had no issues with it. I would of expected it to fall apart when it comes to this kind of age.

Yer lets not talk about petrol depending on how i drive i end up filling the tank 3 times a week on v power at around 50/60 a time hahaha. Expensive is not the word!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
You spend 600 on fuel a month, wow lol

Yer its probably closer to £700 at times haha, but i get lots of Shell points so must be worth it right? As i mentioned in the update i am probably going to be changing jobs and it will be closer to home or i can use the train etc so will give the car a bit of a break.

Should have some new parts tomorrow so stay tuned!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Some new, well new parts to me arrived today. I purchased another climate control panel and hazard button surround from @Mk2dillon . Decided on my lunch break to have a go at fitting them. The climate control panel i received had quite a few marks and scratches, as to be expected. Its a second hand part. I decided my original one was in better shape so I would just swap the buttons....Turned out to be a relatively easy job, didn't get many pictures as i had bits all over the car haha.

This pic shows the damage i had on my current surround.
20170323_155317.jpg
20170323_155321.jpg

Now this shows my panel fitted again once I had swapped the buttons and just for comparison my old buttons in the other unit.

20170323_160302.jpg
20170323_160546.jpg

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Big improvement there......... where the other one is all chipped on the corner, how do people even manage that!? 🙈

I think someone tried to remove it before and must of pulled it from the edge and broke it :( Looks alot better now. Going to ED next week for cams and mapping very excited!!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Picture less update today.

Car is currently in Engine Dynamics have the 197 cams fitted and mapped :) Whilst it's there it's also having the new power steering pump fitted, rear axle brake line replaced and oil and filter. Very excited to see what it makes on the dyno! Pick it up tomorrow so stay tuned for the dyno graph.

Also just placed my brake order with @George@RTR_Parts, George has been great throughout the process and we have exchanged multiple messages. Very patient dealing with me so thanks George :) The parts I have decided on are:

Brembo HC painted discs
Ferodo DS2500s Pads
Renualt OEM rear discs
Bremob OE rear pads
Braided lines
ATE fluid
Replacement rear hub nuts and spacers behind discs.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
b****cks!

Just had a call from Andy at ED, the pump i bought is no good! When they rebuilt it they pushed the shaft on too far and now its scrap metal. Good job Andy checked it before they took the car to pieces :( George has also let me know that the rear disc spacers are on back order with no ETA at this stage, that has put a stop to the brakes (excuse the pun).

Some good news is the car made just under 190 bhp with a torque figure roughly around 160 lb ft. Should make for a fun drive home tomorrow, if anyone has some of those rear disc spacers then let me know!

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Chris at Beanie had the same issue with mine, he managed to fix it though. Common issue with most pattern pumps (and some genuine ones), the tolerance has to be spot on with the sport aux belt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...2-Rear-Disc-Spacer-Deflector-x1-/281938380246

EDIT:

Or

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-172-182-brake-disc-spacer/

&

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-172-182-brake-disc-pads-set-rear/

plus free delivery in trader section.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Chris at Beanie had the same issue with mine, he managed to fix it though. Common issue with most pattern pumps (and some genuine ones), the tolerance has to be spot on with the sport aux belt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...2-Rear-Disc-Spacer-Deflector-x1-/281938380246

EDIT:

Or

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-172-182-brake-disc-spacer/

&

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-172-182-brake-disc-pads-set-rear/

plus free delivery in trader section.

I called Renault Wolverhampton and they had none and neither did any of their other branches etc. I called Ren Parts Direct just now and they have 3!! So i ordered 2 and to cheer myself up i ordered new door grabs as mine have gone all sticky and nasty!

Currently then i just need to sort the power steering pump issue. I will speak to Diamond Motors and see if i can arrange it with Mick. I'm supposed to be revising for one of my Microsoft exams and instead running round about the car haha.

172 Turbo
Have a word with Kev at Armstrong Autos in Luton, if you get stuck with the PAS, he's gone out of his way to help me before

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yer i might give him a call, i just know somewhere someone has a brand new genuine pump sitting around! I will consider my options over the next few days.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
That's a pain with the spacers and PAS pump but the dyno result sounds like there's still something to smiles about :grin: Fingers crossed for a quick and easy fix!

Managed to get hold of the spacers so that's one thing sorted. Need to either get another pump or come up with a new plan.

That's a shame the pas pump died, but a good result from the cam's. Have you looked at an epas conversion?

I think i might end up doing this, so much hassle with the current setup. Think it might be worth future proofing it. The pump hasn't died yet its just noisy and has a bit of slack in it, the worry is if it does fail it can take the engine out with it!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Today has been a great day! First i passed my Microsoft exam wooo! 3 weeks revision and managed to pass, very happy with myself! Afterwards i stopped by Beanie Motorsport and spoke to Chris, he is going to do all the brakes for me next Saturday. Also he had a look at my PAS pump and we started talking about EPAS, luckily for me he has a column and the controller so that means i should just need to get a DCI rack and the box of tricks from eBay to control the assistance. Chris is great, i could sit there any talk with him for hours and im sure he could probably do the same!

When i got home i had some new parts. Good service from RPD, its a shame as the new parts are still sticky like the old ones haha. Think i will get some new non-sport ones at some point. Does look better than before tho and least its OEM.

20170331_153639.jpg
20170331_153912.jpg
20170331_155059.jpg

Also received these and they are probably the only two in the country right now as they seem to be on back on from Renault France.

20170331_155854.jpg

@George@RTR_Parts has been exceptional, can't beat the levels of communication and customer service. I was going back and forth sending lots of messages, George managed to get the parts out to me in less than 24 hours. Fantastic.

In the box i have DS2500s for the front with Brembo HC discs, the rear is OEM Renault rear discs with Brembo pads, Goodridge phantom brake lines, ATE Super gold and some new rear hub nuts. This should provide plenty of stopping power on the road, if i do venture more on track i will get track focused pads.

20170331_160151.jpg

I have had the car back for a couple of days now since the cams and mapping at ED. When i first drove the car it felt slower ha, i guess that would be because the power delivery is smoother and the cams are quite peaky. Now it does feel stronger in the mid range and top end for sure, it helps massively that the rev limit has been raised to 7.5k. Anyways below is the dyno print, near as makes no difference 190bhp.

20170331_155002.jpg

The to do list has got a little bit smaller now

* Brake upgrade all round (discs, pads, fluid, lines potentially calipers) Next Saturday
* Bilstein B14s, new front and rear top mounts
* Fit EPAS set up
* Gear stick insert or PMS shifter
* Maybe a clutch and flywheel
* New pedals
* New matts
* Replace missing aerial
* Wheel replacement or refurb
* Repair the bolster wear on the seat
* Front splitter
* Maybe a cup or trophy spoiler

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty sure the pedals have been discontinued. I asked Paul at RPD a while back.

Yer as @OssPoop mentioned I will get them from Andy.

How much were those grab handles?

£37 each.

Also want to know about grab handles! Can't see them on RPD site 😧

You can search via the part number, but i was the same. It wasn't until i was told its the same as the V6 ones so i looked under V6 and they were there.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks, I will get Chris to send me pics of what he has just to make sure we have everything for the conversion. What about removing the power steering pump etc? I have emailed PMS to see as i will probably need some sort of delete kit.

The car has developed a weird problem, it seems to hold onto the revs. I was just out and came to a set of lights and the revs wouldn't drop to idle straight away and it the revs were fluctuating by itself. Carried on driving got the car warm and still seemed to hold onto the revs, so i would be slowing down and put the clutch in and the revs would stay above idle. Anyone have any ideas?

dan's cast offs.
easiest/cheapest way s to get cup alternator set up, assuming you're getting rid of ac as well?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
easiest/cheapest way s to get cup alternator set up, assuming you're getting rid of ac as well?

I will be using http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/cl...gine/clio-2-rs-power-steering-delete-kit.html as that way i can keep the air con. I have text Chris asking for pics to make sure i will have everything, I will post them up to confirm with you guys. The pump is going back and i'm getting a refund.

I decided to call Andy this morning as the car was acting up a bit, he said it was normal for the car to hold onto the revs due to the cams. The thing that gets me is the car revving by itself at times. I had a new coil so i swapped that over and still the same. I think it might be something to do with the throttle body, what do you think?

EDIT: These are the pictures i have from Chris, will this be everything i need along with the eBay box and DCI rack?

IMG-20170403-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20170403-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20170403-WA0004.jpg

dan's cast offs.
that's it other than the power plug for the ecu, you don't need it but it's handy to have it.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Today's update is brakes, dropped the car to Chris at Beaniesport yesterday and picked it up today. Went for a drive afterwards to bed them, should be able to get a better feel for them tomorrow. On other news the car maybe up for sale soon as i want to buy one of my dream cars.

IMG-20170409-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20170409-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20170409-WA0023.jpg
IMG-20170409-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20170409-WA0019.jpg

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Nooo! What's the dream @Rojer?

Well i love Japanese cars at heart, as well as the normal Skylines etc i have a lot of love for the Toyota Chasers. I was talking to my mate about it and he said to me if i didn't do it now i probably never would and then when it gets older and can be imported to the USA the prices will rocket up like they have for the Skylines. So i might as well get one now before it becomes unobtainable, i am speaking to a few import places as i want one fresh from Japan. If you don't know what they look like it would be something like this.

Chaser Wallpaper.jpg