ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's 1995 Impreza WRX STI Type RA

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
How's this going mate?
Hi Scott,

No real update as of yet. Hopefully going to get the old girl into work next week and drop the engine.

I have messaged Alyn from AS Performance via the Type RA forum and I'm going to phone him on Tuesday to discuss things and get my parts ordered.

With the engine removed it's going to be hard not to go crazy, but my budget unfortunately is not unlimited so I will have to go easy!

There's plenty of things I'm going to replace and uprate with either RCM (Roger Clark Motorsport) or Cosworth components, but I may wait until the engine has been removed and stripped in case there's any other problems we find! [emoji30]

But once ordered I'll let you know what's getting fitted! [emoji2]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cool mate, I really need to curb spending on mine but it's hard not to.

I want to move house so the wife would go mental.

Alyn is a top top bloke, full of info and great advice. Makes sure you have plenty of time spare when you phone him.
I've never had a quick 5 minute chat with him. [emoji23]

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Cool mate, I really need to curb spending on mine but it's hard not to.

I want to move house so the wife would go mental.

Alyn is a top top bloke, full of info and great advice. Makes sure you have plenty of time spare when you phone him.
I've never had a quick 5 minute chat with him. [emoji23]
Good advice mate cheers!

I'll make sure I call him whilst on my lunch. As I'm sure I'm going to have many annoying questions!

I can't wait to get it all sorted, and begin to enjoy the bloody car!

When it's all back together I'll be heading to SRR for that mapping session, unless something else decides to let go...

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
She's turning into a proper money pit.

Hope you get it sorted pal.
Thanks mate, but I do agree...

It's certainly a rocky start to my ownership!

However I know it's the right thing to do, and it will all be worth it in the end! [emoji2]

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks mate, but I do agree...

It's certainly a rocky start to my ownership!

However I know it's the right thing to do, and it will all be worth it in the end! [emoji2]

You soon forget the pain when the cars finished although that's normally the time when my eBay adverts go live.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
You soon forget the pain when the cars finished although that's normally the time when my eBay adverts go live.
I wouldn't of noticed! [emoji6]

Personally I just couldn't do that bud! After all that hard work just for some jammy bugger to pick it up and enjoy it!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Just get it done and enjoy it mate, getting new head studs and proper set of gaskets is a job I may well end up doing on mine.

Head studs and gaskets are a little bit of a weak point.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Just get it done and enjoy it mate, getting new head studs and proper set of gaskets is a job I may well end up doing on mine.

Head studs and gaskets are a little bit of a weak point.
After a bit of researching that certainly appears to be the case.

The early Impreza's (not sure about yours) used a crappy 11mm head stud with a really poor thread.

If you want to go for higher power your only option is to get the block machined to accept RCM's larger 14mm studs, but they are bloody expensive! Plus the cost of the machine work!

The sort of power I'm after the RCM head studs will be more than capable, coupled with their head gaskets should future proof any further issues...

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
When I was thinking about replacing my turbo with the Turbo dynamics MTX 555 my mapper said to get the best out of it you would have to run it hard at 1.7 bar.

And that my standard head studs wouldn't take that much boost for very long. So that was the end of that.

As I said mate, talk to Alyn first with regards to the part's. AS Performance are also an engineering workshop not just a part's suppliers, RCM customer service is amazing but you pay for it.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
When I was thinking about replacing my turbo with the Turbo dynamics MTX 555 my mapper said to get the best out of it you would have to run it hard at 1.7 bar.

And that my standard head studs wouldn't take that much boost for very long. So that was the end of that.

As I said mate, talk to Alyn first with regards to the part's. AS Performance are also an engineering workshop not just a part's suppliers, RCM customer service is amazing but you pay for it.
That makes sense bud.

I'm going to speak to Alyn tomorrow, and via PM he reccomend RCM's products.

But like you said I'm going to speak to him first, and then go from there.

I'll let you know how it goes!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
@Phase1sr

Had a very long conversation with Alyn today, such a lovely and knowledgeable bloke. My god he can talk!

Currently on order...

* RCM High Performance 11mm Cylinder Head Stud Kit
* RCM EJ20 Multi Layer High Performance Head Gaskets
* AS Performance Baffled/Clubman Sump
* ICP Aircon Delete Kit
* All Necessary Gaskets/Seals - (there's a few)
* Thermal Inlet Manifold Gasket
* Genuine Oil Pump
* Genuine Thermostat
* Genuine Water Pump
* Genuine Timing Belt Kit
* Genuine Oil Filter
* Genuine Fuel Filter
* NGK Spark Plugs
* 5 Litre's of Millers Oils Competition 10W50 Fully Synthetic

:weary:

I'd imagine there's going to be a few more bits wanted/needed to add to that list! 😂

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Well done mate, 99% of the bits on my car have come from Alyn. Id still like to replace the headstuds and gaskets on mine later in the year, id go for the RCM 11mm extreme stud kit.

I used to use the Millers in mine, ive decided to go over to Fuchs Titan Pro S 10w 50 after speaking with Rich @ FB tuning. Funny enough i jacked mine up tonight and dropped the oil out, leave it to drain over night. (it ill be its 3rd oil change in just under 3000 miles) 😂

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
@RMDavis Does this have DCCD? if so, what are your thoughts on it?

It does have DCCD mate, albeit a very basic version unlike the newer Impreza's that have an 'AUTO' function it has a simple dial that goes from a locked 4wd system to an open diff which I believe is a 30-70 split to the rear and you've also got a few setting's in between.

With the limited time I have actually used the Impreza on the road I can't really give you much of my experience 😂 Other than there's a huge difference between open and closed! I'm looking forward to booking a track day and having a little play!

Countryman JCW
It does have DCCD mate, albeit a very basic version unlike the newer Impreza's that have an 'AUTO' function it has a simple dial that goes from a locked 4wd system to an open diff which I believe is a 30-70 split to the rear and you've also got a few setting's in between.

With the limited time I have actually used the Impreza on the road I can't really give you much of my experience 😂 Other than there's a huge difference between open and closed! I'm looking forward to booking a track day and having a little play!
i look forward to your review... i hope there's a few wet corners for you to test it out properly!!

Any news on the repair work?

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
i look forward to your review... i hope there's a few wet corners for you to test it out properly!!

Any news on the repair work?

Slow... 😞 (Apart from ordering lots of expensive parts nothing has been started) Oh! I de-gassed the air-con system that's it! 😂

We've been so busy at work since the new year, that I really cant expect my car take up precious ramp space/time!

I'm hopeful we will get the engine out by the end of this week, but we shall see! :spanner:

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Rob i forgot to say, get yourself a tube of three bond. Its a fantastic sealant and i wouldn't use anything else.

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/par...r=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=three bond&searchPart=
Great minds bud! [emoji6]

Already bought a tube, as Alyn recommend it also.

Thought I would need it for the baffled sump as a minimum!

Scott where did you get your Samco hoses from?

I was thinking of renewing both the coolant and vacuum hoses with some black Samco kits, but most places state a 2-4 week lead time.

Which may be a little to long to wait, but I reckon I'll be lucky for a place to have them in stock on the shelf!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Great minds bud! [emoji6]

Already bought a tube, as Alyn recommend it also.

Thought I would need it for the baffled sump as a minimum!

Scott where did you get your Samco hoses from?

I was thinking of renewing both the coolant and vacuum hoses with some black Samco kits, but most places state a 2-4 week lead time.

Which may be a little to long to wait, but I reckon I'll be lucky for a place to have them in stock on the shelf!

Ah cool mate, it's great stuff. I used it when I fitted the later sump to mine.

I had the same problem with trying to find the Samco hoses bud, in the end I went to RCM who had them in stock. [emoji106]

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Ah cool mate, it's great stuff. I used it when I fitted the later sump to mine.

I had the same problem with trying to find the Samco hoses bud, in the end I went to RCM who had them in stock. [emoji106]
Cheers mate, I'll give them a call later today.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
She's finally in the workshop!

Engine is coming out tomorrow! [emoji1]

d082600db1d61a231e3d9b7cf2980a96.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Looking forward to seeing how the work is done tbh mate, getting tempted to change my head studs and gaskets.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
91f75fa4cd9d6f36939a4df4bb5e8652.jpg

She's alive!

Ahh crap...

As I've already mentioned I'm awful at taking photos, as I'm the sort of person that just gets on with it.

However as things currently stand the engine is out (obviously) and stripped down to the block. With no huge issues found both the cylinder heads were sent off for testing/skimming yesterday.

They both were in very good order with minimal wear to the camshafts. The block also appears to be in good shape, with hardly any scoring to the bores which was a relief!

One of the engine mounts had completely fallen apart, so I've decided to replace them with a pair of 'STI Group N' uprated mounts.

There's also a few extra gaskets and seals that are needed, and have also been ordered as required.

I also found out that the 'STI' radiator cap the previous owner had fitted was in poor condition, and more importantly fake! [emoji23] turns out there's quite a few fake ones for sale on eBay... Genuine cap now in my possession!

Whilst the engine is out I have made a start on cleaning the impossible to reach places, and removed all the air-con pipework including the condenser.

Both the chassis legs are immaculate, but there's some surface corrosion on the battery tray so I'm going to rectify that before everything goes back in!

I'll keep you posted chaps.

I can't wait to hear the flat four again! [emoji2]

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
That engine bay is remarkably free of tin-worm for a 22-year-old Jap car! :up:
Thank you bud!

I was really pleased when there was no hidden horrors!

The legs are little grubby, but should clean up. Like I said the worst bit is the battery tray, but it's only surface corrosion.

Just need to stop it going any further!

The underneath of the entire car is very clean also with just surface corrosion to the suspension components.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Fantastic mate and good news on the condition of the block. [emoji106]

Yeah there is many fake caps around, I bought mine from ICP but the genuine ones aren't cheap.

I'm really looking forward to the spring time mate and getting the car's together. [emoji41]

I'm getting impreza withdrawels, oh and my mate who owns the S202 said that the prices of classics are going up. [emoji2]

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Sound
Thank you bud!

I was really pleased when there was no hidden horrors!

The legs are little grubby, but should clean up. Like I said the worst bit is the battery tray, but it's only surface corrosion.

Just need to stop it going any further!

The underneath of the entire car is very clean also with just surface corrosion to the suspension components.

Sounds great!

I really would have to fight the urge with the engine out to respray the engine-bay. I couldn't help it!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome, will hopefully see this when all is back together and it's making all the right kinds of burbles again!

Cheers Harry!

Have you fitted the Quaife'd gearbox yet bud?

Fantastic mate and good news on the condition of the block. [emoji106]

Yeah there is many fake caps around, I bought mine from ICP but the genuine ones aren't cheap.

I'm really looking forward to the spring time mate and getting the car's together. [emoji41]

I'm getting impreza withdrawels, oh and my mate who owns the S202 said that the prices of classics are going up. [emoji2]

I paid about £40 for mine mate. Having the two side by side, you can quite clearly see the difference in quality!

Me too mate! Roll on some better weather, and a working car! 😂 to be fair I'd much rather it be in it's current state this time of year rather than in the middle of summer...

Prices are going up? That's good to hear! I'd imagine that's with a running engine though? :wink:

Glad to see it coming together.

I think you've blown my 'first bill' way out though. 😂

I think you might be right there Adam! 😂

Sound

Sounds great!

I really would have to fight the urge with the engine out to respray the engine-bay. I couldn't help it!

I'm also very tempted mate!

A good friend of mine is a painter, the only issue is the logistics of either taking the Impreza to him or trying to paint it properly in our workshop.