ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault paint

172, Westfield

I have a MK1 172 and wish to colour code my side strips. I have bought the paint from renault(expensive) and have tried it on a small piece of plastic. The colour dose not seem that good a match to me and I dont want to spoil the car by spraying them and it looking out of place. Has anyone else srayed their strips with renault paint and if so how did it look. My car is a 2000 reg and is apparently platinum silver.

If I take my time will it look professional or will it always look like a DIY job!

172, Westfield

Sorry mate I meant titanium, and yes it is from a rattle can. I gave the paint code to renault(MV647) but the match doesnt seem that good although it might just be because I have only tested it on a small piece of plastic.

172, Westfield

Just one quick coat but to be honest I did rush it a bit which isnt good for best results! How many coats of laquer should it have?

Mondeo STTDCI

1) Did you prime first and rub down etc?

2) How many good even coats?

3) Laquer?

500bhp Scoob

Think i did about 3-4 coats on my bump strips when i did mine.

Think you mightve been better getting your paint matched by an independant paint supplier, as it could be slightly off colour, as paint ages.

I just asked about the laquer as the paint can look dull without it, looking off colour

Clio 1.4, SV650S

it sounds wierd at first but you need to sand it the colour with fine wet & dry paper and a bit of water before applying the laquer to get a nice deep shine to the colour at the end.

in metallic paint the flakes settle at the bottom of the layer of paint. you need to take that top glossy layer off then the laquers solvents and the flow of the laquer work with that slightly rough surface and produces the proper finish!

if you have used a primer you may also need to do several layers of colour to build up the true colour and not a thin layer affected by the colour underneath.

hope this makes sense!