ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio 2000 1.2 Rear Brake Adjustment

Hey all...

missus car was locking up the rear passenger wheel... when i went and removed the drum the lining of the shoes had come off the mount, the cyclinder is leaking so im replacing that at the same time, my only concern is adjusting of the shoes...

How do i go about adjusting the shoes as ive heard they are on a ratchet, do i simply place the drum back on and adjusting through the inspection hole..

help se vois plais

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
same thing happend to me, but i didnt have the time and money to change the cylinders, i jus manualy adjusted the rachet till there was abit of rub agenst the drum the closed everything up

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
ohh and the adjusters brake sometimes aswell.. as mine broke (think there self-adjusters not to sure though)

Megane dci 130
If you go to renault, they supply a kit with shoes and cylinders all set up with new adjusters for very resonably price. As for adjusing, the self adjusters never work. Slacken the handbrake cables off and wind the little toothed wheel up a little at a time. In turn, putting the drum on and testing how much the brakes are grabbing. What your looking for is just a very slight bind. Then adjust the cables up accordingly.

If you dont do this then you will get a very long brake pedal and a poor handbrake.

Hope this helps.

right an update,

Last weekend i adjusted the drums up and the handbrake was still a bit high.. so i got back from base last night and had a look at it.. ive whipped the drums back off and they are adjusted up fine... although i notice the handbrake lever thats attached to the shoes doesnt return to its original place...

so i tried to slacken off the handbrake and the the nut at the top just seems to keep on spinning.. any help...

handbrake.jpg

ohh yeah if you look at diagram 1, you can see the single cable from the handbrake lever to the splitter under the heatshield.. ive check that this isnt spinning when i tighten the nut attached to the lever ... i havent a clue why.. but i really need to undo this to adjust up the rears correctly...

any help or advice please...

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
i have the same issue, my handbrake goes up well high (and still is kind of useless so i leave it in gear) my shoes have adjusted fine aswell.

Im thinking there is something wrong with the cable from the handbrake lever to the bracket where it splits to two.. i think i might cut it and put a new one in place

RS CLIO 197
adjuster nut could have stripped its threads - have you tried winding it off and putting a few washers on the end of the cable then a new nut