ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing mcgard locking wheel nuts- with spinning collar

Cro

Meg'd r27
Spent the last few days trying to get locking nuts off for my wee bro. His mcsheite key rounded off and is now stuck trying to get them off ( no code for replacement key)

I have the reverse thread nuts but once it hits the collar it just spins so I need to get the collar off or find another way to get the nuts off.

Any ideas?

a low one
Smash a socket over the hole bolt head with a hammer and get an extension bar on the case. should work a treat.

Clio 172mk2
chisel collar off then either locking wheel nut tool remover, or if as above tight socket on it

Cro

Meg'd r27
I've tried chiselling the collar off for days, it didnt even make a dent lol. I think if I stick a tight socket over it, it'll just get stuck on the collar and spin regardless....

A good advert for McGard wheel nuts.

They are designed very well and tbh, I think I'd be welding a bar onto them personally.
After masking the wheels first ofcourse.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Mcgard are bloody awful, I had a set myself and the same thing started to happen to key so chucked them out. Great security but no use if you cant get them off when you have to, plenty of similar stories.

Danny, I need a set like yours!! I think I might just try and weld the collars so they dont spin then try the reverse socket again

Can't you buy like a locking wheel nut remover? Think they're only about 15 Quid, it's basically like a socket with a thread cut inside it.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
This happened to my Dads he wrote to Mcgaurd, they sent two new locking wheelnut keys.