ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remove key blade?

MK2 Clio
Hey
Well I have a push start ignition button and do not use my key blade. However I still use the blipper to unlock the car and the fob end is still used for the immobiliser. So to sum up I want the metal bit to disappear yet am reluctant to just hack saw it off. Any ideas?

182, 172 Track Shed
Not too much help but the blipper for my 172 is detachable from the key blade, not sure how the previous owner managed to do it but its definitely possible without resorting to a hacksaw!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
The code is held in the circuit board not in the actual piece of metal that forms the key part.

Slide the key apart and flick the bit of plastic that holds the key part in place - you can then just pull it out.

Just a thought - how do you turn on your ignition or is all that done via switches etc?

MK2 Clio
Ahh okay might give it a go after work. There is a key permanently in tr car which turns but the immobiliser sensor is rewired outthe way so you put your key in the separate hole and turn the key to power on then press the button to ignite the engine. The key permemntly in is shaped as a switch you can just see it on my profile pic I'll try to get pics up tomorrow to explain better. Thanks for thehelp

If you are concideing it I'll upload better pics to show

MK2 Clio
I paid £5.50 to get another key made - he used a house key as it didn't want the immobiliser part. I then hack-sawed the circle off and superglued it to the tip of this switch from a gas or water switch.
P7280217.jpg
I then drilled a 35mm hole in my handbreak base which is where my immobiliser is super glued to. The base is perfect depth to hold it and not need to hang, any larger hole and the immobiliser would have had a ring of air around it. To get the immobiliser off you must cut the three cables going onto it (2 green- or maybe brown I am a colourblind person... 1 red I believe) Then extend these, if you let the cables touch one another you will blow a fuse, other than this if you choc block it back together no damage is done, I ran my cables along the steering column base under the gearstick area then under the carpet in that little gap you can see in the picture.
P7280216.jpg
So at this point you can turn a key without being able to start it without the original key, - please note this would still look appealing to theives andthe steering lock doesnt kick in until it is removed so over nights it is worth taking the key out and just putting it in your cup holder.

Finally I purchased a Type R electronic start ignition button, which came with instructions, wired the three cables as instructed and wired the fourth to a metal part of the body to ground it.
If I want to undo this - replace the immobiliser to the original postion and rewire the ignition buttons back to how they were before.

Security notes!!!!

1. Immobilser takes up to 15 seconds to activate after engine is switched off
2. The steering lock only works when the key is removed
3. This makes it look like an easier targets to theives. - even though its probably more difficult now because it is more confusing

P7280215.jpg

If anyone trys this all the best and pm for help.

Wilcox

Good luck explaining that to your insurance company if your car gets stolen.

"Where were the keys?"

"Well, one was in the ingition but I modified the immobiliser so it's okay"

"Oh right, bye"

MK2 Clio
Yeah but thats the same as them hotwiring the two terminals, the insurance is still valid I have checked, you still require the original key for the immobiliser, and you require the immobiliser code without it. Plus like I said if parking it overnight you can take the key out. Thats why I left the security points pointing out all the cons / precautions which should be taken, if my car gets stolen I will say look the immobilser is 30cm away from where it originally was with no effects ask an autoelectrition and the same about the button. The key is fair shout but I don't leave it in there overnight.