Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTFE wax/polish is it any good??

Discussion in 'Car Detailing - sponsored by Auto Finesse' started by Dan, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Dan

Dan ClioSport Admin

Car:
    Yozza'd Blue Bus
    I have seen this PTFE wax/polish on eBay and the reviews seem good and feed back on the company is 100%

Has anybody used it and if so is it any good??

2. gally

gally ClioSport Club Member

PTFE is a buzzword used by cheap waxes and also know by expensive waxes.

Ptfe needs to be burned with extreme temps onto the surface. Think non stick frying pan, it'll never beocme non-stick.
    The wax people claim this is what will happen to your car... it will not.

Swissvax shield and Raceglaze's new wax both offer ptfe but in the true essence of the word it's not really PTFE.

3. JD

JD

That's not quite correct Kev (on the burned onto the surface part). The idea behind it is that the surface of the wax is "non-stick" and that part is true. It will help dirt and water to slide of as PTFE is very VERY unreactive (don't ask why, unless you want to bored shitless).

But the fact still remains that it is only as good as the bonds to the surface it is covering, which is what Kev was getting at. Sure it will let dirt slide off IT'S surface, but how long will it stick to the paint surface - that's the question and the issue to overcome.

4. JD

JD

Actually, that's not fair. You are right in that it needs a certain heat element to bond to surfaces, hence non-stick pans, but in this case it's not the point the wax manufacturers are getting at.

5. gally

Do you want me to fix that bit for you? :blush:

Well yes it's not PTFE in it's truest sense is what i'm getting at. I'd like to see more about it though. Shield's showing 6 months protection.

6. JD

JD

Loller, what are you going to do, link me to DW's personal sales section again??!!

7. gally

It is only as good as the surface it bonds to? Better?

8. JD

JD

No, I meant what I said. It is only as good as the bonds that tie the product to the surface. The reason it has to be heat treated during application is actually to break the Hydrogen bonds, to then allow them to reform to the surface it is intended to bond to.

So ner.
    xxxxxx

9. Dan

Dan ClioSport Admin

Car:
    Yozza'd Blue Bus
    So should I try it out or not?? Lol

Basically will it do any harm to give it a go and see what the results are like??

Thanks
    Dan

10. JD

JD

It won't do any harm fella, it just might not be that good, either on looks or durability.