ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

personal injury compensation

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Hi folks

I was unfortunately rear ended off the M25. I was stationary waiting to go onto a roundabout when I was shunted at some pace. I felt winded, shook up and something had happened to my lower back which wasn't painful at all. Got out and exchanged the usual information.

2 hrs after I had developed severe lower back pain, unable to walk properly which got worse. unable to tie my shoelaces, unable to brush my teeth over the sink etc. Its been 6 days now and symptoms have worsened to sleepless nights despite taking diazepam. The car requires a new boot, bumper, tail light, and a repair to the metal frame underneath.. so it wasn't at traffic stop-start pace.

Ive already missed a week of work and would have earned an extra 700 quid had my overtime shifts not been cancelled.

I really do not know what i am accurately entitled to. My insurance company has been great and efficient in dealing with it all. They offered me a settlement figure the day after the accident which i thought was a bit nuts considering I was still going through discomfort without knowing the true extent of injury. Ive been told that I might need an MRI scan (which would take 2 weeks to arrange) followed by surgery (unlikely) and physiotherapy (very likely) and steroid injections (likely) but for how long I'm unsure.

Has anyone got any experiences/opinions to share? Did you settle with the initial offer? did you get your own solicitor to facilitate communication? Did you wait for your injury to fully heal regardless of length of time?
For the record - i dislike personal injury lawyers and the whole claim culture. I personally thought "whiplash" injuries were bulshit but ffs this kind of injury is genuinely debilitating and psychologically, the accident as certainly dampened by enthusiasm of driving.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You are suffering as a result of some fuckwits inability to concentrate on driving.

Don't feel guilty!

If I was you I'd be declining the offers until you establish what damage has been done to your body. If you take £2000 but have to spend the next 20 years in pain, you'll regret it big time.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Hi folks

I was unfortunately rear ended off the M25. I was stationary waiting to go onto a roundabout when I was shunted at some pace. I felt winded, shook up and something had happened to my lower back which wasn't painful at all. Got out and exchanged the usual information.

2 hrs after I had developed severe lower back pain, unable to walk properly which got worse. unable to tie my shoelaces, unable to brush my teeth over the sink etc. Its been 6 days now and symptoms have worsened to sleepless nights despite taking diazepam. The car requires a new boot, bumper, tail light, and a repair to the metal frame underneath.. so it wasn't at traffic stop-start pace.

Ive already missed a week of work and would have earned an extra 700 quid had my overtime shifts not been cancelled.

I really do not know what i am accurately entitled to. My insurance company has been great and efficient in dealing with it all. They offered me a settlement figure the day after the accident which i thought was a bit nuts considering I was still going through discomfort without knowing the true extent of injury. Ive been told that I might need an MRI scan (which would take 2 weeks to arrange) followed by surgery (unlikely) and physiotherapy (very likely) and steroid injections (likely) but for how long I'm unsure.

Has anyone got any experiences/opinions to share? Did you settle with the initial offer? did you get your own solicitor to facilitate communication? Did you wait for your injury to fully heal regardless of length of time?
For the record - i dislike personal injury lawyers and the whole claim culture. I personally thought "whiplash" injuries were bulshit but ffs this kind of injury is genuinely debilitating and psychologically, the accident as certainly dampened by enthusiasm of driving.

Mate, I claimed through a job solicitor when I was rear ended in the area car by a drunk driver.

My operator also claimed.

I was off work for 6 weeks and had to undergo physiotherapy whereas my operator was back to work within a week needing no physio.

The other parties insurance company offered my operator £3000 compo and initially tried to offer me £1000.

After a contacting my solicitor the next offer they made me was considerably more.

Don't accept their first offer. You need to establish if there's going to be any ongoing issues before a correct amount can be calculated.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I hate the claim culture too but I was also recently rear ended. I'm in a small amount of pain 2 months later but my girlfriend is in a lot of pain. Injured her back, low back and damaged ligaments in the knee. She wasn't up for claiming anything initially but it's cost her a lot of missed money due to her fitness stuff and missing work. Claim it mate. Get in touch with a decent solicitor.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I should add. You should get treated and stuff, fully recovered before any money exchanges hands.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
I doubt your own insurer made you an offer for your injuries. It might been a quick offer by the fault insurer.
Check your policy. Have you any legal expenses cover? If so that's your best start.
If you appoint a solicitor check what the terms are. It's normal now that you contribute about 25% of your settlement towards their costs. However if you've legal cover on your policy this contribution is usually waived.
Pm me if you want as I work for a solicitor dealing with such claims

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
You are suffering as a result of some fuckwits inability to concentrate on driving.

Don't feel guilty!

If I was you I'd be declining the offers until you establish what damage has been done to your body. If you take £2000 but have to spend the next 20 years in pain, you'll regret it big time.

Mate, I claimed through a job solicitor when I was rear ended in the area car by a drunk driver.

My operator also claimed.

I was off work for 6 weeks and had to undergo physiotherapy whereas my operator was back to work within a week needing no physio.

The other parties insurance company offered my operator £3000 compo and initially tried to offer me £1000.

After a contacting my solicitor the next offer they made me was considerably more.

Don't accept their first offer. You need to establish if there's going to be any ongoing issues before a correct amount can be calculated.

I should add. You should get treated and stuff, fully recovered before any money exchanges hands.

Think your all right.. I'm going to hold out until the full state of injury has been established and symptoms resolve whilst keeping the insurer and a solicitor in the loop.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
I doubt your own insurer made you an offer for your injuries. It might been a quick offer by the fault insurer.
Check your policy. Have you any legal expenses cover? If so that's your best start.
If you appoint a solicitor check what the terms are. It's normal now that you contribute about 25% of your settlement towards their costs. However if you've legal cover on your policy this contribution is usually waived.
Pm me if you want as I work for a solicitor dealing with such claims

Both me and the gentleman (at fault) happen to be with the same insurer so thats why it appears as my insurer made the offer. It was a very quick offer. No pressure selling but certainly alot of emotive caller behaviour which allowed a sense of rapport and trust. Almost like hypnosis with instruction to settle.

I have legal expenses cover which allows me to legal representation by the insurer and claim legal expenses... but its strange. Its weird...,

They will obviously redirect me to an "independent" solicitor with an interest in my insurance company. Im half certain the outcome of which will be crooked and biased.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Yup that's the game... it's all very well scripted to make you settle cheap and then 6 months down line your still hurt and then your stuffed.
Best advice no matter what don't settle to I'll your sure you've recovered. You only get one chance to settle it.
Any chance your with lv?

I still get severe discomfort after 6 years. Don't settle immeadietely.
Wait until you've had all scans and physio and see where you are after that.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Hi folks

What do you do for a living ? Are you a member of a union? I only ask is you probably have legal cover if you are

If you have to go and see a physio and/or a chiropractor just once a month for the next five years, that could be an easy £100 a month, depending on where you live, plus as you say, if it's stopping you from earning money then you have lost earnings to consider, although legally I'm not sure if loss of overtime is the same as loss of your 'official' wage.

I hate compo culture too but I would want to be compensated so I could pay for the help I needed to get better or offset permanent losses over the much longer term.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I got knocked off my bike last October and have my free legal cover with my Union. It means I won't lose any of the claim to legal fees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Hey mate. Getting better.
I had to return to work as my development would have suffered. Got the GP to revise my sick certificate (if they were happy) to an earlier start date.
So my day consists of wake at 5am. Hot bath and waterbottle warming till 6am (works wonders) pop pain relief and off to work.
The corsa on the other hand got repaired and i picked it up today. I didn't have to pay the cost or excess but it was £1.8k of which £700 was labour.
I was shocked they decide to repair it as the car is only about 3k second hand if that.

I haven't heard back from the insurance company, No doubt they will call soon to see if I want to settle... (I won't)
In the mean time Im going to scout some solicitors and also my Gp has referred me for physiotherapy which I'm looking forward to.

Its a s**t but the way I look at it is that I could have been alot worse....My mate died last year from a car accident driving home tired from work (another doctor) his wife was 5 months pregnant (same as mine is currently) So I'm just thankful it I wasn't worse off mate.