ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

People in the know about air bag & pretensioner bypassing...?

2004 1.2 run-around!
Hi guys. Was just wondering if you had a sec could you cast your eyes over a photo of my wiring below?. On the drivers side only, i need to bypass the side (in-seat) air bag and the seatbelt pretensioner, the image below shows what i've got under the drivers seat in my 1.2 16v dynamique (coming FROM the car)...

IMG_0339.jpg

So in the black plug there is just simple - pink, orange, black. And in the grey plug a pink/orange, pink, pink/black, orange.... and then the two stripey ones - one purpleish and one pinkish.

So on the reverse of these plugs which combinations do i have to stick the 3.3ohm resistors in to bypass the seat air bag and pretensioner on this side? Also i have always wondered this - if there are wires that don't use resistors; what do you do with them... just leave them unconnected? or maybe reconnect them some how to the seat to complete the circuit? (the earths for example).

In order to bypass the seat air bag am i right in thinking i put a resistor in between the pink & orange wires in the black plug? ... then what about the black wire... do i reconnect it some how or just leave it loose? and
could anyone elaborate on the wires in the grey plug? i need to bypass the seat belt pretensioner by using resistors in some combo for this plug, but also what do i then do with all the other wires if not used?

Sorry i do realise this has been gone over with various people on a number of occasions but i am unclear even after reading several threads, so apologies for my ignorance... i need to send my airbag module off for clearing, so really need to make sure i get this right so the lights will go off and stay off!!

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter!

Tom.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST3
I have the same predicament atm mate.

Ive stuck a resistor in the black one between the orange and pink wire and have just plugged the grey one in normally.

My airbag and serv light are still on however

2004 1.2 run-around!
ah yeah you will need to have your module reset dude... have u done that? when the light comes on its on permanently regardless of whether u replace or bypass the parts, until you get the module cleared/reset/ get a new module. I'm needing a fairly definitive answer on my wires to bypass both airbag and pretensioner then will send my module off for resetting (£20 on ebay).

could anyone shed any light on which wires need resistors on mine?

thaaaannnnkkkkkkssss! :approve:

Last edited:
  Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
Grey Plug: Place 3.3 ohm resister between the Orange and Brown cables (should be right next to each other.
Brown Plug: Place 3.3 ohm resistor between Yellow and Brown cables

Job Done!

2004 1.2 run-around!
Whats this module reset business about?

Jonny - think about it like this... you have an accident, your air bags or pretensioners go off... the ECU for these parts logs the fact that the incident has happened so the service and/or airbag lights show to bring your attention to the fact you gotta go running back to renault for 'expensive' work to fix the problem. now if you go about fixing the parts yourself the ECU 'module' for the systems still has the accident logged... the lights will still show. if you went to renault they would charge you through the teeth to replace air bags and pretensioners and THEN charge you to reset the module back to normal.

so even if you 'fix' the problem, you need the log clearing off your module.

watch this video to see a guy removing the module for such logs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0SxaRjXhEA&feature=player_embedded

hope this helps.

2004 1.2 run-around!
Pink / Brown, same difference*

Yo Ashley thank you so much for chiming in on this, really appreciate it.

unfortunately though the way you described the 'pink or brown' wires being next to either the 'yellow' or 'orange' wires means in my eyes you could actually be referring to either set of wire in that grey block, really want to make sure i get this right first time (so i knocked up a nifty little diagram...)

clio-help.jpg

so looking on the right hand side, the black/brown plug... those 2 wires highlighted in green? lets say 'orange and pink/brown'???

and on the left hand side, the grey block... is it the no. (1) set with black arrows or the no. (2) set with red arrows?

one last thing if you don't mind... once i've fixed my resistors in the right ones, do i just tape these plugs up securely and leave them detached from the seat altogether? or some how attach the other wires to the seat loom? or what?

Thanks again... NEARLY THERE! sending my module off tomorrow, all should be well just need to clear up these last bits!

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
Yo Ashley thank you so much for chiming in on this, really appreciate it.

unfortunately though the way you described the 'pink or brown' wires being next to either the 'yellow' or 'orange' wires means in my eyes you could actually be referring to either set of wire in that grey block, really want to make sure i get this right first time (so i knocked up a nifty little diagram...)

clio-help.jpg

so looking on the right hand side, the black/brown plug... those 2 wires highlighted in green? lets say 'orange and pink/brown'???

and on the left hand side, the grey block... is it the no. (1) set with black arrows or the no. (2) set with red arrows?

one last thing if you don't mind... once i've fixed my resistors in the right ones, do i just tape these plugs up securely and leave them detached from the seat altogether? or some how attach the other wires to the seat loom? or what?

Thanks again... NEARLY THERE! sending my module off tomorrow, all should be well just need to clear up these last bits!

No problems at all!!

Should be pair No1 as you have labelled with black text.

If you not to far away from me, I would have popped over to lend a hand.

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
You also have the occupancy sensor in the grey block, which will be another pair or cables, and some of the later Clios had a drivers seat position switch, so if you were short and had the seat close to the steering wheel, the bag would not go off as strong. Should be a switch along one of the seat rails if your has this.

2004 1.2 run-around!
You also have the occupancy sensor in the grey block, which will be another pair or cables, and some of the later Clios had a drivers seat position switch, so if you were short and had the seat close to the steering wheel, the bag would not go off as strong. Should be a switch along one of the seat rails if your has this.

awesome so i know exactly where to put a resistor in each now for air bag and pretensioner, but once i have done those do i have to connect the other wires up some how? if the circuit is broken (ie- the plugs are detached from the seat after inserting the 2 resistors) will other lights be triggered due to the seat occupancy/position sensor wires being unconnected? and the earth wire on the black plug???

its not the best solution but i suppose i could cut the wires that need resistors before the plug & add the resistors, then plug the blocks back in with the rest of the wires... if you follow???

what do you think? thanks!

Although having seen your other thread about an airbag being set off, unless you've had the module reset/replaced, resistors won't turn the lights off until you've done this.

If an actual airbag has been triggered, you can't turn the light off yourself.

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
awesome so i know exactly where to put a resistor in each now for air bag and pretensioner, but once i have done those do i have to connect the other wires up some how? if the circuit is broken (ie- the plugs are detached from the seat after inserting the 2 resistors) will other lights be triggered due to the seat occupancy/position sensor wires being unconnected? and the earth wire on the black plug???

its not the best solution but i suppose i could cut the wires that need resistors before the plug & add the resistors, then plug the blocks back in with the rest of the wires... if you follow???

what do you think? thanks!

the occupancy sensor wires will only bring on the red seatbelt light, measure the resistance across the occupancy sensor wires to the seat, if its very low you should just get away with bridging the cables. Like someone said, just leave any other wires like the black one :)

2004 1.2 run-around!
Although having seen your other thread about an airbag being set off, unless you've had the module reset/replaced, resistors won't turn the lights off until you've done this.

If an actual airbag has been triggered, you can't turn the light off yourself.

i have just removed my module to send it off for resetting today, but now am in a predicament... the battery is disconnected and the car is OPEN on the street, can i reconnect the battery with the module removed to lock the car? sorry, maybe a silly question.

2004 1.2 run-around!
Sorry. Replied to your post in the other thread now.

No leave the other wires. They won't trigger the airbag light. Just the pretensioner and airbag

yeah sorry for starting a new thread i needed to get these jobs done today you see :)

so in the black plug just the earth is left disconnected... fine?

in the grey block the seat position sensor and occupancy sensor are left disconnected... and i a fine to leave these disconnected?

if this is the case then great... will have it sorted in the next few days. sorry for needing constant clarification, its just sending the module off is a payment plus probably a 3 or 4 day wait that i'd prefer to only make once if i can help it!!

thanks for your input, really appreciated.