ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

painted calipers [roblems

hey, i painted me drum and calipers yesterday to get rid of unsightly rust. the drum are fine, they look absolutly fantastic, i did them blu and the blue hammerite i used pretty much matches factory colour! dead chuffed, and they are real smooth.

my problem is the calipers, i painted them using proper calliper paint (not hammerite) and there are "drip bits" that when you press you finger on them still feel gloopy as if they havent dried properly. im worried about going at high speed and the "gloopy parts" running onto the alloys. how can i stop this? will it even run (it doesnt feel as if its going to) and how can i stop this in the future?

im pretty chuffed with the result though!

wait for the paint to dry?

i would be more worried about the paint running onto the discs/pads than the alloys.
you should have really taken the calipers off for painting, then you can leave them out in the sunshine to dry.

500bhp Scoob

if its that foilotec stuff, my mate had some problems with that paint, didnt dry for days after.

He ended up stripping the paint off, and just using hammerite, which is still on them to this day

yes i used the righ amount of hardener.

ive heard you shouldnt use hammerite on front calipers, is this true...? apparently it cant cope with the temparatures?

[Edited by Dubs on 10 August 2005 at 1:24pm]

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

yip, i used hammerite on my front calipers - the calipers themselves dont actually get THAT hot.

Also painted the discs where they go onto the hub, purely because they were starting to look scabby, no problems there either - but its easier if the discs are new! lol

The Beast MK4

I was redoing my calipers/drums just before the last crail trip and I did my drums 2 days before I went and by time I had got back a few bits had stuck up, Very artistic but not handy lol, anyway the wee bits just snaped off no probs so I guess ill have to leave them drying even longer next time to make sure. It was roasting at that time so I should have known to leave them longer.

Im sure hammerite will be fine for the fronts mate as hammerite withstands massive temperatures. You can paint your exhaust manifold with hammerite its that good