ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ordering correct cambelt for a pick and mix engine.

172, Tiguan
Hi chaps.

I'm about to order the cambelt kit for the engine we are rebuilding. It's a 172 Cup bottom end with a Ph1 (2000) top end. I've been advised that I need to order the ph2 kit as the differences are relating to an idler pulley on the bottom end. The dilemma I have is that we've used various bits from the ph1 bottom end to replace missing parts on the ph2 bottom end.

Still following....!

In this thread Fred mentions correct spacers etc.

Therefore, does anyone have a picture of what I need to measure to check what kit to order, just so I can be 100% sure?

Thanks.

Lionel Richie
was the phs1 and both the phs2 bottom ends complete when you took them apart (in terms of cambelt idlers)

if you have both typres of idler you can use either kit as you will have a phs1 spacer off the phs 1 engine (lower idler) and also you will have the phs2 spacer off the phs2 bottom end, you choose

172, Tiguan
Humour me Fred and point out in a picture what idler spacer we are actually talking about?!

The ph2 bottom end had a few bits missing so we had to use bits off the ph1, I'm just not sure which bit the difference refers to.

ITB'd MK1
the spacer behind one of the idlers is the only difference. If you have one that sits flat behind, thats a ph1, if both spacers slot into the idlers then that is ph2

172, Tiguan
IMG_5083.jpg

Right...the blue one?

(thanks Jord for the pic.)

172, Tiguan
Guy's, do either of you two have a spare ph2 spacer I could purchase from you, or is the spacer available by itself from reno?