ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Only hot air out of heater!

1998 BMW e46 323i
As of 30 mins ago I have this fault. D'oh. Gonna try and fix it on lunch shortly. I'm 6'4", chubby and easily annoyed.... Oh it's gonna be fun.

182 trackday racer
(servo motor was faulty and damaged plastic teeth on heater box)

My motor is ok but the teeth is broken. Im gonna use 2-component plastic glue, a zip tie and fix it back together. Glue, zip tie to keep it together and the glue the zip tie in place. Should work fine.

Untill its fixed I removed the motor so I manually can adjust between full heat and fully cool.

1998 BMW e46 323i
FIXED. The worst job I've done for a while, ended up with my legs on the back seat and my head in the footwell, but cost nothing. Got a whoppa of a jubilee clip on it, (just made sure the clip didn't fowl when rotating, no glue. It works. To the guy who figured it out and all those who helped with their contributions and photos in this thread: THANK YOU.

CS is great sometimes.

1998 BMW e46 323i
FIXED. The worst job I've done for a while, ended up with my legs on the back seat and my head in the footwell, but cost nothing. Got a whoppa of a jubilee clip on it, (just made sure the clip didn't fowl when rotating, no glue. It works. To the guy who figured it out and all those who helped with their contributions and photos in this thread: THANK YOU.

CS is great sometimes.

I can’t quite express how happy I am...!

I’ve have my Phase 2 172 from new, it’s at 106K miles now, and my climate control has been knackered for about five years! Randomly working okay, but then—and always on the hottest days—pumping out blazing hot air. The number of miles I’ve done up and down the motorway with the fans & AC demisting the screen while I regulate the temperature by winding down the windows... Oh the misery...!

So, last night, quick trip down Halford’s, about an hour of wrestling with the panel, all done! All working as it should...!!!

The hardest part for me was realigning the motors with the star holes. I had to turn the car on and adjust the settings to match as closely as I could, but one motor was in a position the star-hole couldn't get to, so I had to encourage the motor to move with some pliers. Got there in the end!

I had also been quoted £600 previously, so had decided to live with it. Thank you to all who figured this out, you are the best!!!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
this should really be made into a stick or a guide!!

friend of mine bought a 172 with this exact problem, an hour of swearing late and its all fixed, with a grand bill of £0!! minus the cost of the cable tie!!

hardest thing i found was getting the cover off, my 6mm socket was too chubby for one of the screws so had to trim it down with a set of cutters!! lol

Clio 172 ph2 FF
Hello,

I was facing the similar problem.

I had only cold air. I've listened to the servo and as I changed the temp on the climate panel the servo rarely made a click sound. I thought that the servo was gone.

I've used the thread here to only take the servos out (6mm socket on an allen key work a treat). I.ve plugged the servo in the other plug and it worked so ruled out broken servo, checked the loom with the working servo just in case and no movement from the motor.

Then I've checked the cog by putting the servo partially in and I was able to move the flap and get hot and cold (i just turned the whole servo).

In the end it turned out to be a disconnected air temp sensor in the headliner - it is a bit noisy so the dealer has unplugged it.

Now all sorted.

The solution to this problem is a testament to how good this community is. Thanks everyone. First post by the way.

Clio
This is a brilliant solution. Thanks for guys who posted pictures and instructions.

Just did this for my sister first car and it's worked brilliantly.

Guys forget using a cable-tie as its pretty difficult to get in there to pull it tight. Do what another person suggested, and do what he and I did by using the tight spring clip that is holding on the front hose on the coolant reservoir. Then replace that with a jubilee clip. Only thing is you will need to make the hole bigger where the cog from the motor pokes through the hole from the motor. (This is the plastic part the motor bolts onto). Easy enough to do by using a stanley knife to make this hole bigger where the motor cog comes through.

Also the motor needed lining up so I had to do this as mine for some reason was facing completely the wrong way. So if yours is facing the wrong way the you will need to do the following:-

This is all without the wires attached to the motor.
So put the heater controls on cold and then move the star shaped hole (with your repair with the clip holding it tightly shut now). Move this fully clockwise. (Cold setting on the heater moves the star shaped hole clockwise)
Then you will need to carefully prise of the actual motor from the cog part of the motor casing. Be careful as there is a small cog and spring that might fly out.
Line up the cog and the star shaped hole on the car and then put them together back onto the car, bolt it back on. Then carefully without loosing the spring and white cog, put the motor back into the gearing housing of the motor. It will click 3 times as the clips click into place. Push it on hard. Attach all the wires and job done.

I just had to do this realignment as for some reason my motor was completely the opposite way round as per the cog and the star shaped hole on the car.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182
Thank you all I know have hot and cold air con :) star shaped cog was split so cable tied and crossed my fingers do far works a treat

derv biege barge
Thanks all, this fix worked for me too. Extra thanks to Katonna who described how to realign the motor spline with the repaired cog as mine was facing the opposite way to normal. Hot and cold at my command again.

Clio V6, Clio 200
You guys are lucky you have something to put the cable tie/jubilee clip onto!

I have the same problem on a Clio V6 and the connector is recessed. This is what it looks like:

9086394c.jpg

917bca49.jpg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Oh thats nasty Thunderstarter, before I undertake this fix how do I know its not just my aircon gas that needs refilling?

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
You guys are lucky you have something to put the cable tie/jubilee clip onto!

I have the same problem on a Clio V6 and the connector is recessed. This is what it looks like:

9086394c.jpg

917bca49.jpg

It looks like you've just removed the motor?
You need to take off the whole panel that the motors are attached to (as per post 36).

04 Monaco Blue 172
well this is a horrible little s**t of a job, spent about an hour tonight taking the flipping thing out to find that the gears are all ok, it was a loose wire on the motor

great,

now i cant flipping line the motors up to get them back into place correctly

i hate this clio, seriously worst car i have ever worked on

any advice before i scrap it?

Clio 172mk2
put the back plate on on its own. then add the motors on seperate then u can line em up, if u have it all off id do the fix as prevention

04 Monaco Blue 172
put the back plate on on its own. then add the motors on seperate then u can line em up, if u have it all off id do the fix as prevention

yeah, i think i will do that

ive put the plate on, but i cant line up the motors lol

do i just push them in correctly on the stars and then twist so i can then screw the bolts in?

i dont want to twist them so much one way that they dont work properly

04 Monaco Blue 172
that was a fail, all that comotion about removing the motors to find it was because i unplugged the buzzing sensor lol

Golf GTI
Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread! I now have air con again - these hot days were starting to take their toll. Fairly easy fix, took me just over an hour. I actually didn't have much trouble accessing the screws.

In my case the cogs were in completely different positions for some reason. I had to pry open the servo casing and mounted just the casing back to the panel, then fit the cog into the gear, and then reassemble the rest of the servo. Took me longer than it should have as I couldn't figure out how to reassemble the servo as it fell out when I cracked it open. So i opened up the other one to use as a guide and figure out how to put it together again.

I just used two cable ties, and I'm hoping it holds. It's good for now. One thing I noticed though, when adjusting the flap by hand, it seems to throw itself to the heater setting, like it's weighted to heat. So if you turn it so it's in the middle, it will just flick over to hot. Perhaps this is the reason why the plastic splits, cos there is pressure put on it? I'm thinking I wont use climate control anymore, and keep it either completely hot or completely cold so I don't put stress on the plastic cog and damage it further. Any thoughts on this?

Just invested in a Clio mk3 to tide me over for a month... good to see that this fault is an easy fix. Cheers to the individuals concerned who created the fix!

Big thanks to this thread! Saved me a few hundred quid.

For anyone struggling to get at the bolts I found one of these bendy drill bits VERY handy! You just need a 6mm socket bit on it

​​
IMG_1172_zps3e16e356.jpg

IMG_1174_zps24bb0591.jpg

Ph2 1.6 5 door
looks like i have this job to do as well...had my clio for almost 18 months with no blower.
replaced the resistor pack...no go
just got a new fan motor from renparts...cost me $112 aussie cash (including shipping)...renault dealer in sydney wanted a criminal $886

new fan motor thingo in this morning, all works great...had cold air going to work...then i monkeyed around with it, and now it's just hot air, and really hot
heat is a problem...it might be the middle of winter in sydney, but it's not much cooler than you UK guys would have in summer really...lol

my question is...i think i read here somewhere that you can manually move the flaps or whatever with the motor out?
if so, and the cable tie repair method doesn't work...would that stay on the cold side & i just couldn't switch to heat?...or without putting it all back together would it fall into a limbo or something? (or did i completely misread that?)
...i don't really need the heater in australia, but cold air in summer is a life saver

also...i haven't had the chance to check fuses yet, it's midnight & raining when i got home from work...are fuses a likely cause for this?

Last edited:
  Ph2 1.6 5 door
lol...aussie summers sound like a good idea until you're in it. still being around 30 degrees celcius at midnight gets old real fast.

bring a clio V6 with you...rare as hens teeth here, and priced as such...the once in a blue moon that they sell

renault clio 1.4 16v
DSC04497.jpg

This little chappie is the spindle for the heater control flap - as you can see it has been split astunder in true Clio fashion... the silver shaft is the steering wheel column, this is a job best not attempted by the tubby/clumsy/profoundly incompetent...

DSC04501.jpg

7mm tiewrap applied to keep it together, getting the cover back on here again was a right faff - have to line up two splines in the right place at the same time - right down by where your left foot normally lives...
Hello
It is in the center of the car??
I mean this is a uk car not left side, I have to check the pasenger side ?!
Regards

Black Gold 182FF
So I seem to have this problem on a recently purchased 182, even with the temp set to Mini(mum) I'm getting hot air out. I pretty much know the AC works because I only bought the car a few days ago and it was ice cold. So I'm guessing I have this problem, will be trying to adjust the temperature without the fans running and with recirc on to see if that works better when I go home from work .

This job looks a bit fiddly for me, I'm a bit too round to be crawling in footwells, so just wondering whether anyone in Derby/Nottingham has done this fix themselves and fancies attempting mine in exchange for a few beer vouchers?

Black Gold 182FF
Hm, maybe I'll check it out. From the pictures it looked a bit fiddly, particularly on a UK car where the steering column gets in the way, but we'll see.

Black Gold 182FF
Wouldn't say it was particularly easy, as it's bloody cramped under there! But it's done, with a mid-sized cable tie positioned so the bulky bit doesn't foul when the flap moves, and a lot of swearing trying to bolt everything back together. Had the fans on full speed and tested every airflow position with the temperature going from min to max and there's no grinding or weird noises, just nice air temperature changes.

It is pretty difficult to get the cable tie VERY tight, but from the looks of things I don't think it actually needs to be that tight. As long as it's tight enough to keep the star-shaped hole looking vaguely star-shaped, it should be OK. The motor doesn't turn very fast and it only turns in small steps normally (for small adjustments), even with the pressure of full fan speed mine has held together. As long as one side of the star can't pull away completely then the teeth should be big enough to keep a grip on things.

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
This is EPIC! just saved me a fortune! if anyone in Birmingham/Sutton Coldfield needs a hand doing this let me know as im happy to help!!

Thanks!!

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Also just saved us silly money!

used the head tank spring clip too.... fits like a charm!

great thread thanks all!

renault clio 1.4 16v
on my Clio: the AC when it is on heat it will not turn to cold.
when I disconnect the battery it is working again
I thing it is not the same problem but maybe a display error

2001 clio rs
I have just done this fix to the cog and it is still blowing hot air. I just remembered that a while ago there was fluid build up in the foot wells so could this mean the heater matrix is stuffed ? Also can anyone send me pictures of the heater matrix and where it is located as well as the temp sensors.