ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leaking from cam cover - 182

200 cup & 106 GTi
There's oil coming from one of the bolts on the front cam cover of my trophy and sending oil all over the place, renault replaced the oil cap which was useless because it wasn't leaking.

How are the covers sealed? do they have replaceable seals or are they fitted with a bead of sealant? Any reason why there would be oil coming from the bolt? I might wack some sealant under the washer and hopefully that'll stop it. Have to take the inlet manifold off what a ballache!

200bhp 172 cup
There's oil coming from one of the bolts on the front cam cover of my trophy and sending oil all over the place, renault replaced the oil cap which was useless because it wasn't leaking.

How are the covers sealed? do they have replaceable seals or are they fitted with a bead of sealant? Any reason why there would be oil coming from the bolt? I might wack some sealant under the washer and hopefully that'll stop it. Have to take the inlet manifold off what a ballache!

to do the job properly its not easy im affraid, yes there is a replacable gasket but in order to change the cam cover gasket you have to also remove the cam belt. But to me it sounds like you have an easy fix just use some copper washers on the bolts to seal them if thats where the oil is getting through :)

ITB'd MK1
to do the job properly its not easy im affraid, yes there is a replacable gasket but in order to change the cam cover gasket you have to also remove the cam belt. But to me it sounds like you have an easy fix just use some copper washers on the bolts to seal them if thats where the oil is getting through :)

there is no gasket, it's a liquid sealant

200 cup & 106 GTi
Grim, so i presume there's not supposed to be any sealant around the inside of where the bolt goes in? the bolt might just be loose i guess, i'll have a look at it anyway.

Cheers :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Common problem I'm afraid,if you've got some warrenty left get it done I did and they changed the cam belt etc at the same time:)

Renault clio 1.4 16v
just remove the bolt and put some sealer on it but only do one bolt at a time because they hold the cams down with the rocker cover.. just get some gasket sealer

200 cup & 106 GTi
Renault are bloody useless, my warranty ran out last week.

Took the car to them and they replaced the oil cap, leak still remains!

I'll have to whip the inlet off and put some sealant around the top of the bolt!

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
very common fault! had mine done by renault camblet and aux belt replaced at the same time - now leaks from another bolt :(

engine cover ftw! lol :)

200bhp 172 cup
Backpedal much? lol

lol is it really that important i think maybe even you could tell the diffrence between a gasket and a seal :rolleyes: some of us are old school and we were changing rocker gaskets on crossflow engines while others were still Sh"'ing in there nappies. or is that a seal too :rasp:

backpedal how?? jeeeeees!!!! seems like some of you just sit ready and waiting to pounce, no wonder this forum goes through its share of members so quickly.

200bhp 172 cup

I'll have to whip the inlet off and put some sealant around the top of the bolt!

get some copper washers its easier and provides a good seal not to mention less messy. failing that make sure the sealant is oil proof or you will find the oil eating away at the sealant.

200 cup & 106 GTi
You mean like the copper washers you use with banjo connections? I'll nick some from work lol And i'd be using RTV sealant as used when fitting cam ladders, stat housings and the like.

182 has now gone!
I had the same problem with mine. Ollie got hold of some sealent (forgot the name of the stuff!), undone the bolts and resealed them and tightened them back up. Has been fine since.

200bhp 172 cup
You mean like the copper washers you use with banjo connections? I'll nick some from work lol And i'd be using RTV sealant as used when fitting cam ladders, stat housings and the like.

just like ordinary m6 and m8 washers but copper. as copper is much softer than the metal bolts. it compresses against the cam cover and bolt making a good seal. just dont overtighten them :)

lol is it really that important i think maybe even you could tell the diffrence between a gasket and a seal :rolleyes: some of us are old school and we were changing rocker gaskets on crossflow engines while others were still Sh"'ing in there nappies. or is that a seal too :rasp:

backpedal how?? jeeeeees!!!! seems like some of you just sit ready and waiting to pounce, no wonder this forum goes through its share of members so quickly.

You're picking the wrong person to lecture chap. As for the "even you could tell the difference" comment, I've worked in the motortrade for over a decade so I'm well aware of the difference. ;) Although I'd like to see you take some gasket paper or an old cornflakes box and make something to fit the rocker cover on a 1*2, lol.

Of course you'd know that having been here since way back in May ;)

ITB'd MK1
just like ordinary m6 and m8 washers but copper. as copper is much softer than the metal bolts. it compresses against the cam cover and bolt making a good seal. just dont overtighten them :)

not sure I'd want to do that seeing as they're the bolts for the cam caps. pretty damned important to get the torque setting right

182cup & 172 racecar

If the leak still remains after you took it to Renault for an oil leak,take it back and say the original problem has not been cured and that you want it done under warranty,tell them you will phone Ren UK about it.

200 cup & 106 GTi
I've already made numerous complaints to renault uk about the problem, they weren't really interested. Renault are only interested if you're handing money over, and even then they don't seem to be too bothered!
And by the quality of their work i've seen and their faultfinding skills, i'll maintain my car myself to a high standard and give up all hope with renault lol

Going to stick some silicone rtv sealant under the bolt shortly.

Anyone know the torque setting for cam cover bolts off hand?

200 cup & 106 GTi
Many thanks! Where did you get that from? Can't seem to find a haynes for the 2.0 clio, and i've lost my autodata disc!

182cup & 172 racecar
I've already made numerous complaints to renault uk about the problem, they weren't really interested. Renault are only interested if you're handing money over, and even then they don't seem to be too bothered!
And by the quality of their work i've seen and their faultfinding skills, i'll maintain my car myself to a high standard and give up all hope with renault lol
Fair enough

200 cup & 106 GTi
Just to update, i have sorted one of the leaking bolts, the only one i've looked at so far, the only major one.

I simply waited for the engine to cool mainly, sprayed lots of degreaser on the area, wiped it, repeated so i was sure it was clean and oil free. Put a load of silicone gasket sealant around the head of the bolt, doesn't look neat but works, and if you have an engine cover it's not visible anyway. Anyway i wiped my finger around the head of the bolt to take off excess sealant and push the remaining bead well into the join to seal it. And left it to dry overnight(needs a good 12hrs really) And it appears to have 100% solved it, 500 miles on, no oil leak. Now after cleaning the area it appears that i need to redo another two on the exhaust cam cover too, although they're not leaking anywhere near as much as the inlet one was.

You realistically need to take the plenum off to do it so may as well change the plugs(and leads if you're obsessive) at the same time, cleaning up the area under the plenum while you're at it.

Beats faffing about taking the cambelt off anyway!

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
Just to update, i have sorted one of the leaking bolts, the only one i've looked at so far, the only major one.

I simply waited for the engine to cool mainly, sprayed lots of degreaser on the area, wiped it, repeated so i was sure it was clean and oil free. Put a load of silicone gasket sealant around the head of the bolt, doesn't look neat but works, and if you have an engine cover it's not visible anyway. Anyway i wiped my finger around the head of the bolt to take off excess sealant and push the remaining bead well into the join to seal it. And left it to dry overnight(needs a good 12hrs really) And it appears to have 100% solved it, 500 miles on, no oil leak. Now after cleaning the area it appears that i need to redo another two on the exhaust cam cover too, although they're not leaking anywhere near as much as the inlet one was.

You realistically need to take the plenum off to do it so may as well change the plugs(and leads if you're obsessive) at the same time, cleaning up the area under the plenum while you're at it.

Beats faffing about taking the cambelt off anyway!

thanks for the update! i think ill have to do this to one of mine! as it weeps a tiny bit! + i now have an engine cover! i did take it to renault to be sorted they sorted one but made another leak! :rolleyes: at least i got my cambelt and aux belt change free lol! ;)

200 cup & 106 GTi
Cheers to everyone who helped me too, good to have background info on the problem and how it's all put together. Can't find a haynes for the cliosport so got no torque settings or idea how to do much on it. Hopefully new copy of autodata will have plenty of info on.

I'm suprised renault didn't put some sort of sealing washer under the bolts, like sump plug washers but oh well! Just need to paint my engine cover up and get it fitted :D