ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noisy engine, Tappets maybe

Renault Clio Grande
Recently purchased a second hand. Renault Clio grande 1.2 8valve. Its a 2001 model.
And the engine sounds really crap. Ive been told it could be something to do with the tappets or something. Any help with this would be good thanks.
Kind of a big newbie with cars etc. so keep technical terms to a minimum if possible.
Sam

172/A4 Tdi
Don't know the engines too well myself - did this person mention if they were hydraulic or manual tappets? Check your oil level first - if it's hydraulic and you're running with sod all in the car it'll sound awful.... Other than that, ping a few emails off to garages for a quote on getting them shimmed (If manual) or replaced.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah, tappet clearances will need setting... easy enough DIY service job or you can pay a local garage to do it for you.

Mick

Westy. MX5
And an oil change will help. Might as well go the whole hog and give it a major service. I always do with a new car.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The cost of a major service on a 1.2 8v DIET unit is going to be under £40 anyway... why not push that boat out indeed

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Did a service fix this noise? My car sounds the same, my Dad :/ lol.. Says that its the tappets but it sounds terrible anyway. I am going to do a full service with my Dad :) lol.. But yeah I just wanted to know if a service would make it sound better and stop it running rough. It does that to. Cheers guys

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You will need tocheck and set the valve clearances manually... its part of the service schedule on these but MUST be done with the engine cold.

Mick

Renault Clio Grande
Thanks for all the replies i have changed the oil thinking this may stop the sound. it didnt i will be changing the tappets some time,
Does anyone know what the tappet settings are for this model? thanks