ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car (Original 172 arch rival)

172beast

Not a member and dont plan on being seeing as how I dont drive a Renault lol so please dont move this to other marques, ta!!

Picked this up yesterdat, 306 GTI-6, 52,000 mile, just had cambelt, water pump and service, 10 months MOT, bodywork is absolutly spotless, not a mark anywhere on it at all!

Had a mk1 172 before this decided to downgrade a little and pay some debts off. Completly different car to drive then the 172, its a lot less frantic and feels more composed round bends. It pulls a lot stronger off cam and has a lot more torque low down, but on cam it doesnt feel as quick as the 172, no doubt in my mind, the 172 would hammer it to tonne, 6 feels quicker after that tho. 6 speed box is just peachy, makes you wanna change gear just for the hell of it, blipping from 6th to 3rd on motorway and hearing the engine roar, makes a much nicer roar then 172.

Overall its a much nicer car to drive imo, its not as quick as the 172 admitably and its not as fun in a point and squirt sorta way, feels more refined and is much nicer to do my 50 mile commute in off cam. Im a happy chappy!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/GTI6/resized_06082005002.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/GTI6/resized_06082005003.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/GTI6/resized_06082005004.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/GTI6/resized_06082005005.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/GTI6/resized_06082005007.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/GTI6/resized_gti6wheel2.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/GTI6/resized_spotted182.jpg

Oh and cheers to Craig for driving me all the way down there, set off at 9:30am, got home at 8:30pm!

[Edited by 172beast on 8/7/2005 9:20:30 AM]

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

Good luck with the fuel economy!

Looks nice though - my mates got a GTi6 - the chavs dont know whats hit them when they take him on in their VTRs etc.

Mondeo STTDCI

I fancied one a week or so back. Couldnt find a decent China blue example.

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 07 August 2005
eh whats occuring with that wheel?

nice car btw keep it standard!

Some very cool camera trick!

172beast

Weird picture that innit lol

Yeah its 100% standard at the moment, Ive got a k&n panel filter for it, decat maybe next, have to see. Fuel economy is shocking I know but on motorway it was alrate, 200 mile and it used just over a qtr of a tank, boot it and I swear I can see needle going down lol can live with that tho, dont buy fast cars for good mpg do you!

172beast

200 mile to just over qtr of a tank on motorway isnt to bad imo, has a big tank tho. Dont think that the 6th gear helps, its just like 5th gear on a normal car but 3rd/4th/5th are very closely stacked. Gearbox and noise make up for any drinking problem lol

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

it is very smart!!! quite rapid too, left my sisters RT clio for dead hehe! RT aint fast, but the gti06 took off like i was in reverse hehe

thats my camera trickery on the wheel BTW hehe!

Remapped derv Golf

I was on at JONGSR4 to get one but he was put off by the fuel useage. Let us know what its like round town compared to a 172.

172beast

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 07 August 2005
i only ever get 200 odd miles to a tank! 250 if im lucky!

Seriously?? Mine was on 3/4 full, its now on just under 1/4 full, now done 250 mile, guess theres another 100 mile in tank driving steady, it was 70mph for 200 mile of that tho.

Yeah 2 litre 16v, 167bhp, 6 speed box (3/4/5 close ratio), passive rear wheel steer which I havent fully tested yet, like to drive steady for a while in new cars.

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 08 August 2005
Original Cup concept.

surely that was the rallye

excellent cars either way

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by leeds_182 on 07 August 2005

Good luck with the fuel economy!
Thats a myth... I can get 37mpg on a run and mid/upper 20s on my regular weekly commute, not much worse than my 172 Cup was and better than my CTR.

If you drive them hard everywhere though they do drink!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 08 August 2005

Aye, that was I was meaning. The Cup is Renaults take on the Rallye.
I went from a 306 Rallye to a 172 Cup and the Clio was positively luxurious compared to the 306!

They are really stripped, the Cup is quite well specced really, yet a bigger weight saving!?

172beast

Yeah it dont seem to bad on fuel to me either, only drove it steady so far tho, not really booted it much, seems to have bags of torque throughout the revs anyway, feels more torquey low down then my old mk1 172 did.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Thats becuase Peugeot specifically tuned this engine for it...

The old Mi16 is a very peaky unit, almost as powerful but needs keeping on the boil and lacks low end grunt, wheras the GTi-6 lump has a very wide spread of power but theres less of a change when it comes on cam.

Some good info here >>>

The XU10 J4RS engine is the latest in the XU engine range. This 4 cylinder unit replaces the XU10J4 ACAV engine in the S16

1998cc capacity and a bore stroke of 86mm. It has a lighter rotating assembly and timing gear, a remodelled cylinder head, specially designed cams and a new inlet and a 4 branch tubular exhaust manifold.

The engine develops a maximum 167bhp at 6500 rpm and maximum torque of 193Nm at 5500 rpm.

The optimised acoustic harmony between inlet and exhaust produces a smooth torque curve.

Cylinder block:

The thin wall cast iron block incorperates the 4 cylinder barrels, at the base of each there is a oil spray nozzle for piston base cooling.
The cast iron crankshaft is fitted with a vibration damper and supports new, lighter con rods. In fact the reduced mass of all the moving parts, by reducing inertia mankes for smoother changes in engine speed (injection cuts out at 7300rpm)
The timing gear is driven by a toothed belt system of hubs and idler wheels keeps the belf tension fully independant of camshaft timing.

Cylinder head

The light alloy (AS7) cylinder head is split into 2 main sections. In the lower section are forked inlet and exhaust pipes, the wedge shaped combustion chambers, the valve gear and coolant reservoir.
Compared with the original cylinder head, the pipes have been re-designed for an improved gas mixture flow. The wedge shaped combustion chamber features as a flush - a special protuberance to improve the permeability of the cylinder head.
The camshafts are of a brand new design and the valve diagrams are specific to this type of engine.
Each cam is individually lubricated and as in the other multi valve engines in the range the cams act directly on the hydraulic zero lash tappets.
The wieght of these tappets has been reduced from 62.5g to 50g to assist speed by limiting inertia. The valves have 2 return springs and are almost identical to the valves found and the XU10J4R except they are:
More permeable because of the alignment of the neck valves and lighter because 1mm has been shaved off the rod diameter thus saving 10g in weight.

Inlet control and exhaust

The air inlet has an aluminium manifold consisting of a chamber or plenum with a composite Helmholtz resonator fitted in parrallel to establish acoustic harmony with the chamber. The resulting smooth torque curve gives the driver the feeling of constant acceleration.
4 pipes run from the manifold to the cylinder headeach one consisting of a primary tube 283mm long coupled to a 37mm trumpet build into the plenum. The manfiold is also fitted with a pressure sensor which keeps the calculator constantly informed of the engine load.
At the front of the manifold is the progressivly acting throttle unit (64mm) There is also a seperate step motor ensuring correct air regulation when engine is idling.
Sequential ignition and injection are controlled by a new Magneti Marelli AP10 control unit fitted with Flash EPROM. Twin jet injectors spray in vapourised fuel while a regulator controls petrol pressure. Ignition is triggered with 1 coil per cylinder and the engine is protected by a pinking sensor.
There is a 4-2-1 tubular dissymmetrical exhaust manifold, precision engineered by ECIA the comprises of 4 stainless steel tubes with an internal diameter of 37mm. The exhaust run into a 1.9 litre catalytic converter and the rear silencer is strengthened.

BE3/6 gearbox

The design and production of this 6 speed gearbox was initially commissioned by Peugeot Sport to satisfy the requirements of customers involved in road/rally competition. This gave birth to the SMAN organization conceived specially for rally connoisseurs.
Peugeot engineers and designers naturally turned to this gearbox in search of a power trian ideally suited to the GTi6.
The 6th gear housing is slightly outside the main gearbox, slightly increasing turing circle to the right.
Of the 6 forward gears only 3rd has pinions specially designed for the BE3/6. The other pinions were selected form the existing range of ratios on the BE5 variations.
The gear stepping obtained from these choices was carefully adjusted to give the lowest possible falls in engine speed to ensure optimal use of the torque and power curves, The gear change diagram reveals that first gear is slightly longer than on the 306 S16.
The other 5 gear are relitivley close although 6th is slightly longer than the old 5th.

Suspension, Steering and brakes

The suspension and steering remain almost unaltered on the GTi6.
The self steering rear axel incorporates rubber blocks of varying hardness and gradual absorbtion which constantly keep it in the best possible position in relation to the struture.

Thats from the original dealer/press pack release from July 1996 before the original Phase 1 cars (like mine) were launched, quite rare and I have a copy of it.

172beast

Ugly lol each to their own I guess! More of a drivers car then a pretty car anyway, does look like an HDI but thats half the fun ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 08 August 2005

Ugly car...but im glad ur happy with it.
Ugly?

The 306 is a lovely looking car in my opinion...