ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car.... Gearbox failiure after 15miles on way home!! Just great!

2002 Clio 172 FF
Hi, I bought a Mk2 2002 172 on Friday, test drove car for around 18 miles, all felt ok bar a very slight crunch in 3rd.

On the way home we stopped at petrol station fueled up, car wouldn't start, turn the key and nothing happened - totally dead as if imobilised, tried for ages eventually engine would turnover but not start and then starter would stop turning after 7 seconds or so.
Anyway fiddled with coil pack and it started up. (this is the least of my worries right now)

15 miles in our journey home, 5th gear pops out, put it back in and pops back out... carried on a few times and eventually, 5th gear gave up totally, 5th gear is now neutral. All other forward gears work, reverse pops out very violently after a few meters of driving. Got towed home and arrived 5am. :(:(

I can't tell you how P1ssed I am, anyway the plan of action is to replace the gearbox and clutch unless any one has any other suggestions. It was a privat sale SOLD AS SEEN, seller does not want to take responsibilty or refund. I simply want the car on the road.

No matter how I look at it the gearbox needs to come out so I need to prep myself for doing this next weekend. I have been reading the forums non stop and have had about 4 hours sleep.

In regards to the guide on here for gearbox removal, would not be easier to drop the whole subframe??? Will the engine still be supported without it as I have seen some who have optted to remove the whole subframe. I am looking for the easiest way to do it even if it take a few bolts extra!! I am a compident mechanic but not worked on a Clio ever!!

Can someone point me in the right direction? I only managed to find one thread with the 5th gear issue and the fella swapped his gearbox but no explanation was given in the posts.

If any one has any other guides or pictures which are not on the forum then please PM me.... I think I have read all the posts now!! LOL

I also intend to do the cambelt at somepoint or all at once!! Also if any one has spare working gearbox then PM me.

Many thanks in advance

2002 Clio 172 FF
Did you sign a receipt stating sold as seen?

If not, you can still claim against the seller - I'll dig out some info

edit: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index...#you_bought_the_vehicle_from_a_private_seller

Unfortuantely I did! Cant be bothered going down that route.... just need a car to get me A to B right now ASAP.

Whole point of getting this car was so I could sell my BMW 330 and GAlant VR4 and have some money in the bank to pay future morgages, I work in the public sector and redundcies comming up (Stupid goverment cutting 40% jobs in the NHS and not telling the public!!!) It will all go tits up.... just watch!!

I dont think i will get a job for months and currently the bank is 3 figures!!! LOL

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
That's such a ballache, sorry to hear you've been shafted-the guy must've known!

Hats off to you for staying so upbeat about it all-good luck with getting her fixed up and back on the road mate;).

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you remove the box yourself and either send it or deliver it yourself to this place, Agency Transmissions of Worcester.

They rebuild boxes to a very very high standard and have been used by many people on here. Including Burpspeed.com who use one in their race car. Tell them Burpspeed.com sent you and you will be discounted accordingly.

340i
Remove the box, take it to Agency transmissions in Worcester... they rebuilt my gearbox on the 172, was absolutely brilliant after

unit 17K
shrub hill road industrial estate
Worcester
WR4 9EQ

01905 24896

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Remove the box, take it to Agency transmissions in Worcester... they rebuilt my gearbox on the 172, was absolutely brilliant after

unit 17K
shrub hill road industrial estate
Worcester
WR4 9EQ

01905 24896

PMSL at what comes up when you google map that postcode!

I reckon this is your best bet, I know you didnt want to shell out on a rebuild but I suppose you will then know you have a mint box!

2002 Clio 172 FF
take you to aThe Association of Pet Councellors!!! LOL!

Ok does any one know if JC5-140 box will fit.... ???

Also do Meganne boxes fit?

Whats wrong with diesel boxes? Are there Ratio's miles out??

MAny Thanks

I think he means subframe lowered or removed.

When I lowered my subframe I thought the same but I couldn't persuade the heat shield and PS pipes to come away easily so I opted to just lower it.

If you're removing the box you'll need to support the engine either way.

I'd suggest using an impact wrench on the 4 main subframe bolts as the "captive nut" is just held in by a weak clip and often end up just spinning.

340i
It took me 3hrs to get the gearbox out of my 172...

Car up in the air

drain gear oil

4 subframe bolts / nuts

4 ball joint bolts / nuts

4, maybe 6 steering rack bolts / nuts

disconnect drive shafts

Tie wrap the steering rack / driveshafts so the dont drop

subframe on the deck

support the engine

gearbox mounts off

unbolt gear box

slide off the dowels

DONE!

IMO its easier to remove the subframe, gives you alot more room to work :)

2002 Clio 172 FF
I think he means subframe lowered or removed.

When I lowered my subframe I thought the same but I couldn't persuade the heat shield and PS pipes to come away easily so I opted to just lower it.

If you're removing the box you'll need to support the engine either way.

I'd suggest using an impact wrench on the 4 main subframe bolts as the "captive nut" is just held in by a weak clip and often end up just spinning.

It took me 3hrs to get the gearbox out of my 172...

Car up in the air

drain gear oil

4 subframe bolts / nuts

4 ball joint bolts / nuts

4, maybe 6 steering rack bolts / nuts

disconnect drive shafts

Tie wrap the steering rack / driveshafts so the dont drop

subframe on the deck

support the engine

gearbox mounts off

unbolt gear box

slide off the dowels

DONE!

IMO its easier to remove the subframe, gives you alot more room to work :)

Nice one guys.... exactly what I needed.... more info I get the more confident I become....LOL!!!! I need to do it myself, I know I will get the job bang on also I can not afford to chuck money at this car.

Anyway, I am planning of buying an engine hoist to support the engine.... they are £60-£70 on ebay, also a clutch alignment tool, looking at a Impact wrench too, I have a massive Torque Ratchet so may get a small 1/2 inch. Will need torque specs.... any one have them???

Any other special tools guys??

340i
You don't need a clutch alignment tool, just get a new clutch fitted at the same :)

No special tools required, just a decent socket / spanner set :)

2002 Clio 172 FF
You don't need a clutch alignment tool, just get a new clutch fitted at the same :)

No special tools required, just a decent socket / spanner set :)

Got decent tools already.

Fitting new clutch too hence the alignment tool, some dont bother centre alining the clutch but I cant be arsed fiddling around trying align the box and find clutch is not centred or am I looking too deep into this.....??? ;)

330i. E30 Touring.
I've got a second hand box with no crunches or whines for sale.. PM me if interested.

2002 Clio 172 FF
All sorted now guys..... new gearbox is literally like new.... only done 13k..... Got garage to fit it in the end.... MRS gave me earache so I gave in and gave it somoene else to do!

The gearchanges are really tight as if it just rolled out of the showroom.

Car puts a massive grin on my face now.... I'm loving it to bits.

Thanks for all your support.