ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Networking and internet connections

At work I have 2 incoming internet connections, one virgin, one BT, the BT is currently not used. All the computers in the office are networked together very simply through switches and the router, and all use a 'server' for the software we use. What I want to do is make use of this second internet connection to try and improve the internet speed accross the office. As I see it I have two ways of setting it up:

1) Connect the BT connection to a new router, and connect that router into one of the switches already in place

2) create a 'second' network, that has a switch connected to one of the switches down stairs, so both networks can still reach the server.

Now first off, am I right in thinking both of these setups word function?

Secondly, has either way of doing it got any benefit over the other?

Lastly, would I better doing the 2 network idea differently and getting a second network card in the 'server' and having two networks that are only linked by a direct connection to said server?

Please excuse my general ignorance to proper networking procedure, but I'm not an IT person, I run a lettings deparment, so if anything I have said is stupid, thats probably because it is.