ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Renault Clio 172 Phase 1

ITB 428 Ph1
Hi,

I used to own a Honda Civic Type R EP3 that I loved, however in 2009 I let it go so I could put more money down on a deposit for a house for me and my family. Once we were settled in to our new home I started to look for a Clio Sport 172. As many do, I wanted a 172 with low mileage, a good service history, low owners and in good cosmetic and mechanical condition. In Feb this year I came across a phase 1 172 on ebay, it had 41k, some service history, 5 owners but looked fantastic. The car was completely standard and it was up for £1850, so i arranged to see it the next day. Luckily it was an hour away from where I working in Essex. After viewing the car I could see it needed a little work and it had hardly been driven during its life. After an HPI check confirmed the car was genuine, I got the car for £1600.

Once I got onto the motorway a few things came to my attention. There was a horrible vibration through the footwell and the exhaust was blowing. I knew these had to be addressed. The roof was also very faded and needed respaying.

The first thing I had done was all the tracking and balancing on the wheels. I then had all the tyres replaced as a local tyre changer thought my tyres were causing the problem. Unfortunately, this did not cure the problem, it was the drivers drive shaft. I replaced this with a genuine drivers drive shaft. The key for the locking wheel nuts was totally mullerd so I had to have all four drilled out to get my F1s off.

The back box was holding on by a thread, I purchased a K-tec Cat Back Supersports Stealth Exhaust System and had it fitted. The next day I was fined for £30 as the police officer told me it was far too loud. I then had Renault change the cam belt and auxilary belt. The Renault garage then carried out a full service on my car.

My car then began to stutter when going threw the motions in the gears, this turned out to be the lamba sensor also known as the upstream oxygen sensor. I then had Renault change this.

My car then failed the MOT because the rear centre seat belt didnt buckle and the hazard warning lights did not come on when the ignition was off. The seat belt buckle was easily replaced and luckily my friend quickly found a lose connection where my after market alarm system has been soldered. The car then flew through the MOT.

The car was running happily and I purchased the following modifications:

1. K-tec Cat Back Supersports Stealth Exhaust System
2. K-tec De Cat
3. K-tec Coilovers
4. K-tec Upper Engine Mount
5. HIDS (6000K)
6. JMS Matched Inlets
7. Blue Magnecor 8mm Ignition Leads
8. ITG Drop In Filter
9. AST Topmounts

I replaced the worn phase 1 drivers steering wheel with a nice unworn one (hard to find), replaced the gear cloth and passenger door card as some one had dropped cherry aid in it previously and it had stained and purchased a parcel shelf as mine didnt come with one. Apart from that, the interior is real clean and tidy.

I was then ban for 56 days for speeding as I was caught by a stealth camera whilst leaving a garage. The mechanic found a buckled wheel and thought that was the cause for the vibrating i told you about earlier on, so he swapped it for my spare and told me to take it for a spin. I had to get to 50mph for the vibrating to start and i was caught in a 30mph, yes i know I am an idiot, it was a by pass in a non residential area, still doesent justify my speed.

I have now served my ban however my car then wouldnt start, ticked over but wouldnt fire up. This was a relay for my fuel pump that had gone, so I replaced all three as advised on here.

I have now purchased an ally bonnet and 428 cat cams. The ally bonnet is not a perfect colour match so on the 20th of this month the rear bumper, roof, bonnet and front wings are being sprayed and blown in. My F1s are in really good condition so I may get them refurbed nearer my birthday in November. The Catcams will be fitted and mapped by Tour De Force along with a new timing belt (I know I had a new one in March). I am excited about this, I am wondering what power it will make. What do you guys think ?????????????

Once the car is set up and complete I will post pictures up. I was looking to get an RS2 but there is a problem with idle on the phase 1ns as phase 2s have an electric throttle pedel and I have a cable. ITB's look impressive however, reliability is an issue i am led to believe.

Is there anything else you guys can think will be worthwhile ?

This is my story lol Thanx for reading

Cheerz Correy

MK3 GTI golf 16v
up till catcams your car sounded identical to mine haha. nice mate, does sound real nice

need pictures !

as for things to do, unless you want to spend some big money on things like ITBs like you said, then theres not much else to do really power wise

you could work on handling and braking? only really worth it if you track it though

ITB 428 Ph1
Yes I agree, I am looking only for a fast road set up to be honest, the car looks pretty standard apart from the noise and height.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
suspension will be fine then, possibly get a whiteline ARB? depends if you get much body roll or if it bothers you

could get it re-mapped? k-tec have a good deal on stage 1 re-map package atm

ITB 428 Ph1
I may get a whiteline eventually, TDF are doing to remap for me which I'm looking forward too !

ITB 428 Ph1
I have just purchased the following

Brembo HC front disks
Goodrich front and rear brake hoses

just need some ferrado pads to go with the front disks, going to leave the rears as standard

ITB 428 Ph1
Cheerz buddy, Ive got so many parts to be fitted but im going to let TDF fit them before the re map, ive just spent £700 on spray work, had the roof, rear bumper, ally bonnet, both wings and passenger side car park dent removed sprayed and blown in, im really pleased with it. Just bought a tailord car cover for it off evo bits to try and help protect it against bird poo and cats !

ITB 428 Ph1
I finally got a titanium cup spoiler and door mouldings complete with bullets and exterior door handles off a 182 cup for £180 delivered which I think was great, I'm just hoping they are in as good condition as they look ! I will take a couple of pictures once I get them ! Are the spoilers difficult to change on a phase 1 to the cup spoiler ?

Cheerz Correy

ITB 428 Ph1
I'm looking to get my AST topmounts fitted and a full geometry done, I've been quoted £190 all in for all the work and set up !

ITB 428 Ph1
The only parts I have fitted currently are:

k tec satinless steel stealth cat back exhaust system
K tec coilovers
ITG drop in filter
HIDS (6000K)

so i am looking forward to when the products in the picture above gets fitted

ITB 428 Ph1
On the for sale section there is a guy currently selling his mods and breaking his car afterwards, I have purchased his brand new and unused V-Max coilovers and I have just sold on my K-tec coilovers, my car is booked in at a SCA performance garage in Norwich to have the V Max coilovers fitted and set up, AST topmounts fitted and set-up and a full geometry. The total cost is going to be £180+VAT which i thought was very good. I was quoted £160+VAT just for the topmounts previously. I have never used this particular centre before but i am hoping they deliver a good end product.

I am still waiting on

my titanium cup spoiler
my titanium side mouldings and bullets
my titanium door handles
tailord car cover
and now my new coilovers which should be here Thursday as I personally arranged the courier.

On this coming Monday, the k tec coilvers will be on there way to there new home and owner, i really liked the k tec coilovers for fast road, but i dont drive hard so i never really tested them if you like. It was more the look to be honest !

ITB 428 Ph1
UPDATE

Today

Fitted cup spoiler and door mouldings with bullets, I could have fitted the door handles too but it was getting a little dark and I dont want to rush.

Had new V Maxx coilovers fitted and a full geometry at a performance centre. Unfortunately my AST topmounts didnt fit so I was advised not to bother, hence why I am now selling them on in the for sale section.

Gave the car a good clean.

Take a look at my pictures to see todays events.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/87/photo5gr.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/photo2xg.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/photo7kq.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/830/photo4pbe.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/photo3zkk.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/photo6oi.jpg/

ITB 428 Ph1
I also purchased a code reader handset as I am thinking of getting a decat and will need to delete the engine managment light

ITB 428 Ph1
Ah thanx Nickson, I actaully say your Phase 1 and copied as it gave me inspiration, thankyou for helping my with confirming the parts on that 182 for me, really appreciate it, cheerz

ITB 428 Ph1
Hi, Its a really nice day today so it gave me the chance to finish off fitting the door handles i got along with the cup spoiler and door mouldings. It took me a little while to fit the first one but the second one was alot quicker. I am very pleased with the way the car looks now. It makes it look a little more modern. I was very impressed with the condition of the items I recieved from the breaker who was advertising the 182 cup in titanium silver on ebay. The door handles and spoiler are in mint condition. The bullets are a little weathered so I will be replacing these when two become available. Apart from all the work that the car has had on it this weekend, on the 10th November TDF are fitting my 428 cams with a new timing belt obviously, ktec lower, upper and powerflex dogbone mount, JMS matched inlets with new PTFE gasket, 8mm blue magnecor ignition leads and it will be finished off with a custom remap. I am going to fit a decat pipe before I go as well, I already purchased the new gaskets from ktec and a code reader i got new off the for sale section. Everything is looking in great shape and I am looking forward to seeing what my car makes on the rollers after the work has taken place. I am selling my AST topmounts on as I will not fit them now, I only really purchased them to put on the spec of the car, so there was no real need to get them in the first place.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/148/photo8na.jpg/

ITB 428 Ph1
Little update....

I've had a little problem with opening the passenger door from the outside since fitting the new handles, so I need to take the door card off again to investigate further. It's strange but when I open the passenger door from the inside, close it, I can then open it from the outside lol.

I wanted to purchase a LED rear number plate light however I could not find one to fit, so instead I purchased a direct replacement light and holder from eBay which was around £10 delivered.

I am going to purchase a de cat pipe from ktec tomorrow as I have now sold on my AST topmounts.

On the 10th November I'm off to TDF to have the 428 cams fitted, new timing belt, JMS matched inlets and of course the remap

I'm hoping it makes good power !

ITB 428 Ph1
Just purchased a silenced de cat from ktec to go with my ktec super sports stealth exhaust system in time with the remap at TDF, after speaking to both ktec and Matt from TDF, I decided the silenced de cat was the best option for me. I am led to believe it will be just as good as an unsilenced decat but obviously it won't be as loud, I've already been pulled by robocop and given a £30 fine for the exhaust system without the decat, so ideally don't want to have to pay that again lol !

ITB 428 Ph1
So I'm waiting in for my decat to arrive and I thought I had better get this passenger door sorted out, I took of the door card and adjusted the rod the door handle grips onto it as it may of slipped last time under installation. Tested the door and put it all back together. Hopefully I won't have this issue again. I think I'm going to look into getting some wheel spacers, I just looked at my car and there seems to be more space and the front wheels than there do at the back for spacing the wheels out, I've seen a few people space there wheels out and I think it does look good, but that will have to wait for now as I have TDF coming up on the 10th of this month as its going to set me back a few £ but it will be well worth it !

ITB 428 Ph1
Just arrived, very pleased with the quality

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/photo6cl.jpg/

so lets just remind our selves the parts to be fitted at TDF on the 10th

K-tec upper engine mount
K-tec gear box mount
Powerflex dog bone mount
JMS matched inlets and PTFE gaskets
8mm magnecor ignition leads
428 cat cam shafts
new timing belt
k-tec silenced de cat and new gaskets

and then a remap......

Ive still got my groved HC brembo front disks and goodrich braided lines to fit all round, ive still got to get some DS ferrodo pads for the fronts, obviously i wont be fitting these parts untill my existing ones need replacing.

After remap things I would like to get sorted;

front bumper has a small pressure point where the previous owners must have hit something, so I want this repaired and resprayed, perhaps after remap as hopefully the front bumper will stay on for a long period of time now after the works completed.
door mouldings could do with a respray and new bullets as mine are a little weathered.
refurb my f1ns

and to be honest thats about it, perhaps some spacers and some T1rs but these are things I can live without coming up to crimbo.

ITB 428 Ph1
I just visited a Renault bodywork shop and they said they can repair and spray my front bumper for £120 all in which I am pleased about, I was going to buy potters front bumper for £110 which is in good condition but have decided to keep my own. I will book this in after the 10th and then perhaps send the door mouldings to spray shack at the same time

ITB 428 Ph1
Well if I'm being realistic I think 180bhp at the wheels, however im hoping for just below 190bhp but I know that's pretty unrealistic Lol I'm a dreamer

ITB 428 Ph1
Probably abit late for this but,

I have been doing research into perhaps replacing my 172 manifold for a 182 manifold, however everyone's comments are too indecisive for the amount of work involved. The last thing I want todo is to lose power. I was being stalked on the dual carriageway last night by a vauxhall vector sri that had looked like it had crashed into halfords, I opened up the ole girl and she flew, that ktec super sports exhaust along with just an ITG drop in filter sounds great. It really but a smile on my face and made me realise just how nippy these little pocket rockets are

ITB 428 Ph1
photo12.jpg

ITB 428 Ph1
Woops just trying out photo bucket instead of imageshack for a change,

Well my car needed a good clean as its going to TDF tomorrow for everything you can see in the pictures plus a new belt and remap. So today just gave it a polish and a bit of elbow grease and here are the results.

photo13.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo9.jpg

I have booked my train tickets as its a good 2hour drive for me and the cars got to stay for a few days as theres quite abit to do, looking forward to the results

ITB 428 Ph1
Thanx guys, i dont really get alot of feedback on my project thread compared to others. I am looking forward to picking it back up and it will be protected from the neighbours cat in there workshop

ITB 428 Ph1
I deffo need to invest in wheel spacers for the front as it looks a little odd compared to the back, will i need to have another geometry done if i just space out the wheels by 20mm do you think ?

ITB 428 Ph1
Just dropped the car off at TDF and I am now on my 5 hour train journey home. I must say TDF looks amazing with all the race cars out on view, it really gives you a sense of what these guys are capitable off. They were very welcoming and have filled me full of confidence. They also was kind enough to drop me at the train station. Can't wait to get it back !

ITB 428 Ph1
My car with ktec stealth super sports exhaust, drop in ITG filter and V Maxx coileys (because everyone knows coileys add BHP) made 169bhp and 151ftlbs ! I've been told this is very good for a stock car ! I am very pleased