ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new GTI-6 P1

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
The newer 306 HDi came with the same alloys, bodykit and similar suspension so loads look like a GTI-6 lol

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I used to get mid 30's mpg in mine on a quick long M-Way run... can't remember what i was like round toon.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
If you compare it to a 172, 2 litre and similar power, its not great but the Clio is a modern engine with VVT!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Depends what speeds were being done on the motorway, if legal speeds I'd have thought the 6 speed box would have made it more economical than 25-27mpg.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Same weight? GTi-6 weighs 1250kg, its a fair bit heavier and bigger then a 172, its also geared for acceleration and not economy so 6th revs higher then most cars do in 5th at motorway speeds, its an old engine design with no VVT. Comparing it to a modern car is stupid tbh.

Are you on crack?

25 and 27 MPG?

800 of those miles were motorway?

My 172 would have easily done 43 MPG with that amount of motorway miles in there. (Same weight, power, "quality" of car)

Yeah i'm partial to the odd rock.

Well bearing in mind most 1*2's on this site struggle to even get 300 miles from a tank. Whats that? About 31mpg on average?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I don't even own one any more, so I've got no reason to stick up for it, but I'd comfortably get 400 miles from a tank except when commuting in REALLY heavy traffic.

Rob, I can get 400 miles from a tank (just) but that's only because it's got a Massive tank! lol Not sure how accurate those MPG figures are, because I obviously didn't run the car completely out of petrol before I filled up!

Looks awesome!!!

If you think it sounds good now, try fitting a Devil de-cat as well ;)

I was thinking about a de-cat... but I heard they reduce Torque a bit? I'd have one in an instant other than that!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think it needs a Dturbo badge on the back.

I do have a massive soft spot for these though. Such good value for money.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
I've got a decat on mine and it did drop torque low down a bit but feels much more lively high up in the revs, sounds awesome too!

ph1-172
looks like a really nice example, I was so tempted to buy a 306 rallye about 2 years ago. tbh i wish i did now there soooooo many 1*2"s around here .

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Is this car a conversion? Just having a discussion with a colleague he said the S16 was the top PH1 model?

He worked on these kind of cars when they were new. What year is it? P' Reg?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Your colleague doesn't have a clue then lol S16 was the model before the GTI-6, running 155bhp and 5 speed. S16 was a phase 1, GTI-6 was released on phase 1 body, S16 scraped.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Is this car a conversion? Just having a discussion with a colleague he said the S16 was the top PH1 model?

He worked on these kind of cars when they were new. What year is it? P' Reg?

I'm guessing he worked in a Peugeot dealer, which would explain his lack of knowledge?

Mine told me that the 306 Rallye didnt exist once lol ... i promptly drove it into their workshop and ridiculed them.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol brilliant. He's a decent bloke and loves his peugoets so i'm a little shocked to see he failed. He had a 306 gti aswell funninly enough years ago, you would think he would know.

Is the gti-6 a ph1.5 then or a pure ph1?

The GTi-6 was introduced in 1996 IIRC, the S16 was axed as the GTI was introduced. There are pure P1 GTI-6's AFAIK; not sure if this one is, though...

I thought there were only 3 generations of 306? ph1/2/3?

Yeah, there were 3 phases of 306, I think this one is a slight mix of P1&P2.. unless it's had a new boot lid at some point - there's a section of metal missing from there, so I'd never be able to fit a new P1 boot lock/button unless I got a whole new lid.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Now he's been educated.

You could see his thinking. Introduce a new model so why not put it on the new shape ie PH2.

120d M Sport
Love it tbh, will own one at some point. Has it been lowered? It looks low in those recent pictures.

What do you reckon speed wise compared to the 106? I'd imagine it to be a bit quicker with not much in it?

Jap Shed
I couldnt get away from a std 306 gti on the straight at cadwell, my 172 was stripped with I/H/E and his was std.....

Yeah, its been lowered 40mm iirc, with the torsion bar lowered to suit.
I'm half tempted to get AST coilovers or Bilsteins for the front as the current setup is way too soft. Dampers feel very tired when pressing on!
I'd say a 106 would be about on par with the 306 upto about 60, then the 306 would pull ahead a fair bit due to the larger engine and close gear ratios. You have to remember it's a heavy car at 1250kg's.