ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Moving from Android to iOS

Mito Sportiva 135
I am considering making the great leap to iOS, simply because I've never had an iPhone and feels like I should at some point.
For those who have moved from Android to iOS, what has the experience been like? Any major pros/cons? How hard was the process?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'm in the same boat never had a iPhone but do own a iPad. Providing a decent spec HTC comes out beginning of next year. I'll be defo considering a iPhone

Mito Sportiva 135
e same boat never had a iPhone but do own a iPad. Providing a decent spec HTC comes out beginning of next year. I'll be defo considering a iPhone

Yeah I have a HTC M7 and generally pretty good - I've always thought Apple products were over hyped but starting to think maybe there is hype for a reason.

The Apple website seems to make the transfer all look quite simple so come March I might make the switch. Currently undecided whether to get an iPad Air 2, Sony Z3, new Amazon tablet or the new Google Nexus 9...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I did it about 18 months ago, never looked back, glad I made the change TBH

I'd had 3 HTC Android phones a Desire, a Sensation and a Sensation XE, plus I also had a Motorola Xoom Android tablet, but I was having issues with bluetooth compatibility in my E46 330d, tried a friends iPhone 4S and it worked perfectly. So I bought a mint condition used iPhone 4S for myself, to see how I got on with it, before comitting to a new phone/contract, but I liked it and 6 months later I got a shiny new 5S when they were released, which I have currently and love. I then sold the Xoom tablet and got myself an iPad 3, which complements the iPhone well, with everything mirrored on both devices with iCloud, take a photo on the iPhone, seconds later it's there on my iPad, same for messages, websites, etc, very slick.

Really easy transition to make, all my contacts were synced to my Gmail account, so when I logged into Google on the iPhone it saw all my contacts, I'd envisiged having to manually re-enter all my contacts, so was pleasantly surprised. Does take a little getting used to the minor differences in the operating systems, menus, etc, but it doesn't take long to pick it up, when iOS7 came out last year it was a more Android-like experience compared to iOS6 & earlier, so for you now with iOS8 it will be easier to adopt than it was for me going onto iOS6.

I'd possibly go back to Android at some point, I'm not die-hard loyal to either system, but for now I can't see a reason to go back and I'm considering upgrading to a newer iPad, what with the newer models just being released.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
All about the hardware. The design is just another level but after buying my current note 4... I haven't missed my iPhone once.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Yeah I have a HTC M7 and generally pretty good - I've always thought Apple products were over hyped but starting to think maybe there is hype for a reason.

The Apple website seems to make the transfer all look quite simple so come March I might make the switch. Currently undecided whether to get an iPad Air 2, Sony Z3, new Amazon tablet or the new Google Nexus 9...

I've got the HTC One before that I've had another 3 HTC's. The One I have now is really good. The last year or so they've been a few HTC's similar to mine if nothing else comes out high end different I'll get the iPhone.

Mine is due in March too, I really like to Android over IOS but be good to say i've at least owned one iPhone

Clio 172 ph1
I'm thinking of moving to android next week I've had every iPhone now and they've been great,just fancy a change now and contracts are getting expensive on iPhone

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've never owned an Android based phone and was vehemently anti-Apple for a long time. I'd had Nokias for over twelve years before making the switch to a 3GS and never really looked back.

I'm on a 5 now and will probably consider a 7 once those finally arrive. Tbh, it's the whole iOS way of looking at things that works for me. Part of my remit at work is the company mobiles - and the Android ones just look amateurish in comparison. They are good phones in their own right, but I don't like the interface. And I despise how each manufacturer does their own 'twist' on how Android should look.

If I could run iOS on one of the newer HTC phones - I think that would be a perfect synergy for me!

D.

I've never owned an Android based phone and was vehemently anti-Apple for a long time. I'd had Nokias for over twelve years before making the switch to a 3GS and never really looked back.

I'm on a 5 now and will probably consider a 7 once those finally arrive. Tbh, it's the whole iOS way of looking at things that works for me. Part of my remit at work is the company mobiles - and the Android ones just look amateurish in comparison. They are good phones in their own right, but I don't like the interface. And I despise how each manufacturer does their own 'twist' on how Android should look.

If I could run iOS on one of the newer HTC phones - I think that would be a perfect synergy for me!

D.

Vom. :p

I agree though, it's all down to what you want from the UI, which suits different people

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I loved Android but recently moved back to iOS after Samsung screwed me. I do miss a few things (like a back button) and I find the lack of "share" ability between apps infuriating... I mean, come on Apple, WhatsApp is pretty well established now so why can't I share from say the native photo App directly?

Apart from this though I am happy with the switch and do prefer some of Apples methods.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I find the lack of "share" ability between apps infuriating... I mean, come on Apple, WhatsApp is pretty well established now so why can't I share from say the native photo App directly?

You could, if whatsapp updated their app to allow it. But they haven't, snapchat, twitter, facebook, evernote and onenote all let me do this from the native photo app.
Nothing to do with apple.

Mito Sportiva 135
Sounds like there are some pros and cons...

The day after posting this I dropped my HTC One and cracked the casing around the bottom speaker, it's as if karma was telling me something! :(

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I absolutely love iOS again but there are some small features I really miss from Android (not enough to make me go back). Google's iron fist of greed steadily creeping in to AOSP isn't one of them though.