ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More turbo questions!

Ly Megane 230 F1
I know everyone will say do a search etc but i have honestly been searching the past 30/45mins trying to find answers to my questions and ive had no luck!

The questions i have are..

MANIFOLD QUESTIONS.

Does a megane 225 turbo manifold fit directly onto a 1*2 head? or is there tapping and drilling needing done? (nevermind this question now,i now know that its a direct fit)

Is there enough room at the back of the 1*2 engines for a 225 manifold and turbo?

TURBO QUESTIONS.

Am i right in saying that the 225 uses a td04 turbo and that these turbos are water cooled? if so...does anyone know what model of td04 as i know there is variations of this turbo.
Again..is there enough room to accommodate this turbo at the back of the engine?

DOWNPIPE QUESTIONS

Will the downpipe from a 225 fit in the space at the back of a 1*2 engine? if so...is it far off from been on the same path of the current exhaust?

Last edited:
  Ly Megane 230 F1
Have done more searching on a Meganesport forum and found that they use a TD04 14t turbo. so one less question.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
The downpipe fouls the master cylinder on a clio. The reality is you'll need to drop your compression ratio as well, for the work involved you may as well use a garrett set up as the potential upgrades for the future will be a lot higher

172 cup, Impreza P1
There is space for the exhaust manifold and turbo but there isn't for the down pipe so some modification is needed for the brake master cylinder.

I've never fitted the megane inlet to the 1*2 head but from what I heard it doesn't fit straight on. You will need to lower the compression ration anyway so you'd be as well fitting the 225 head to your block. You'll also need to get an oil return for the turbo.

Astra gsi turbo
if you were going to all the trouble of fitting a turbo would you not want to fit a bigger one than a standard megane turbo to start with, seems pointless

Ly Megane 230 F1
I know all the work needed to fit a turbo and I know what the bhp limits of the td04 are..I am just curious as to how much of the standard megane f4rt parts you can use with serious custom work. But thanks for your replys about the downpipe

172 cup, Impreza P1
I have the head, inlet and exhaust manifolds, turbo, pistons, crank and rods from a 225 and the block and box from a Clio.

Still to get the electrics done so not running yet but it all goes together.

Astra gsi turbo
I have the head, inlet and exhaust manifolds, turbo, pistons, crank and rods from a 225 and the block and box from a Clio.

Still to get the electrics done so not running yet but it all goes together.

are you sure the 225 crank will work ?. if your running a clio box you will be running a clio clutch and fly which i dont think with bolt up to the 225 crank

Astra gsi turbo
I'm not clued up on these engines but I no from the Vauxhall forums when people convert to turbo they use the na crank as it's stronger and a na inlet cam.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Why would a na crank be stronger when it is subjected to less torque?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Astra gsi turbo
I have no idea. Guys on the vaux site have been converting na engines to turbo rather than using a turbo engine to start

My bad, the na crank is lighter but equally as strong as the turbo and that's why its used

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
Sure its not just easier to use the na crank on a na engine and it's strong enough for the purpose. Dought it's stronger as for a car manufacturer to do that does not make sense.

Ly Megane 230 F1
thanks for the input guys..

I now know that the megane exhaust manifold will fit directly to the head and there is room for the turbo.
The model of turbo used if any one is curious is the td04 14t.

Ly Megane 230 F1
if i can source the megane parts at a reasonable price i might consider a low boost conversion.. ive written up a list of ever part i need just pricing bits up at the moment.

Ly Megane 230 F1
if i go down this route im far away from doing the internals lol...
Id be after a low boost conversion around 6/7psi..ive calcalated it to cost me around £700 with a fare bit of help from a mate who is a pipe welder/fabricator to make up the downpipe and intercooler pipes.
My brother had an a3 1.8t and it has just been written off so he stripped it of all the extras. So i can get a few parts like air filter with relocation pipe,intercooler(its a universal ebay one but still works none the less),boost gauge and a dump valve really cheap.

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
I've updated my project thread so take a look to see some issues you might come up against.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
if i go down this route im far away from doing the internals lol...
Id be after a low boost conversion around 6/7psi..ive calcalated it to cost me around £700 with a fare bit of help from a mate who is a pipe welder/fabricator to make up the downpipe and intercooler pipes.
My brother had an a3 1.8t and it has just been written off so he stripped it of all the extras. So i can get a few parts like air filter with relocation pipe,intercooler(its a universal ebay one but still works none the less),boost gauge and a dump valve really cheap.

Mapping may double that.

Ly Megane 230 F1
My dads cousin owns a garage in inverness and he does live remapping so again its not to much of a problem. My brother was running an intercooler,decat,induction,throttle inlet pipe and my brother seen good gains after the remap and he was only charged £200. I know mapping is expensive as ive asked wallace performance in Aberdeen for a price as i was curious and they wanted £495!. Im quite lucky with the people i know that can help me out...its just finding the money to start it thats the problem lol

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
My dads cousin owns a garage in inverness and he does live remapping so again its not to much of a problem. My brother was running an intercooler,decat,induction,throttle inlet pipe and my brother seen good gains after the remap and he was only charged £200. I know mapping is expensive as ive asked wallace performance in Aberdeen for a price as i was curious and they wanted £495!. Im quite lucky with the people i know that can help me out...its just finding the money to start it thats the problem lol

I have mentioned this on another thread, how many Clio turbos have they mapped on a standard Ecu? Remember the Ecu is not designed to work with boost and it takes a lot of work to get it right, get it wrong and you engine won't last long.

Ly Megane 230 F1
i know ive read as many threads on turbo 1*2s that i could find on here. I know there has been clios that have had failure from been turbod but theres also been ones that run fine. If i was running a lbt around 6-7psi and the mapping was good i see no reason for the engine not to last long unless i was constantly thrashing it/not looking after it i.e servicing etc/been an idiot and turning the boost up past what people call safe psi on standard internals.