ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's 2017 Ford Focus RS

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Enjoyed the recent video. Spicy polo shirt.

The heel and toe one talking about pedal spacers etc? If so, I liked the trainer shot!

On the subject of that video, I tend to agree Mark, however I have found it difficult to master in the Clio purely due to the brake and accelerator pedals being at different heights.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It was my birthday over the weekend and that meant me getting my annual new item of clothing. Expect a different t-shirt to feature soon.
Haha. How big are these pedal spacers? Seems pointless from watching your vid, but a great business idea! 😂

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The heel and toe one talking about pedal spacers etc? If so, I liked the trainer shot!

On the subject of that video, I tend to agree Mark, however I have found it difficult to master in the Clio purely due to the brake and accelerator pedals being at different heights.

There's very few cars I've ever owned where I've gotten into it and been on it straight away. They all take time to learn. Pedal positions, responses, pressures, all vary so much.

It's only recently, at 3k miles in my RS, that I can honestly say I've been getting more of the shifts right more of the time. It takes effort and practice to work it out hence me stressing the point that practice will help you, fitting a pedal spacer, generally, won't.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Got any track days booked mate?

It will be interesting to see what times you get compared to your cup and st.

Nothing yet other than a day on the wet (lack of) grip facility at Rockingham later this year, because drift yo.

I'm waiting on my GRRC membership to come up...annoyingly a buddy that's just landed a contractor role at Rolls Royce has jumped the queue...so I am trying to get onto a GRRC day via his membership.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
RS3 is the daddy there in those circumstances but im surprised how well the civic did on the rolling test.
Which is where most d/c battles happen.
I still cant get over the prices of these cars though, laughable.

The RS is fair bit quicker once rolling, was pretty surprised, it's slow from what the Internet and Pistonheads say lol.

Mental that RS3 but mental price for a Hot Hatch.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
lol for a hot hatch.
Or a 1 yr old RS6. https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...s6-4-0t-fsi-quattro-rs-6-5dr-tip-auto/7376202
I know where my money would be going.

Come on now, Ian..

Running costs of a used super saloon that costs 65k+ new only get more expensive once they become used thus rendering 35k hot hatches a moot point in comparison.

I can afford to buy an R8 V10, although the running costs make my balls keep my adams apple enough company to think they were one third of triplets.

All relevant.

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know if anyone's seen this but the RS 'Edition' has been announced.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/ford-focus-rs-edition-review/36660

I'd been giving serious thought to getting this as it is the last run out model (production has gone on far longer than was originally suggested/speculated at the time I ordered)...potentially but as yet unconfirmed with red paint and some tarty carbon bits etc. but the fact that it comes a) with the shell seats (comical for someone of my height and build) by default and b) the front diff (more exit traction but less arse end swinging fun) and c) no sunroof option (I f***ing love mine!) means I'm staying put.

No thanks.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, and my clutch pedal has stopped squeaking finally. Needed a complete new pedal and slave cylinder assembly though.

IMG_20170822_134022.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
In other news 2 people have now had failed engine replacements denied under warranty because of being modded beyond FPM375. It seems Ford are clamping down.

That's another good reason for keeping mine completely standard.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Similar happened to a guy in Scotland, he had an exhaust on his, block cracked regarding over heating etc = warranty, void.

The new engine was 6/7k iirc.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
There's only the two that I know of on RSOC that have been rejected...up until that point quite a few modded, and even heavily modded, cars were getting engines replaced under warranty.

Understandably the rejected parties are not best pleased! And yes, £6,500 is the figure I keep hearing for supply and replacement of the engine.

Ouch.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I'm surprised Ford let any modified cars through really. They have made a potential headache for themselves, as they have a set a bit of a precedent by repairing some of them. I must be honest though, when I drove one, power wasn't really what I thought it needed, so I can't really understand why people are trying to tune them so much. Maybe the mountune upgrade, but can't see why 400+bhp is necessary. Totally pointless in a road car and doesn't really seem what the car is about to me. The Ford world is completely obsessed by power though.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
I honestly don't know why people think they will get a replacement engine if they mod beyond the warranty friendly m375. I've bitten my tongue on the other forum but those that have had replacement engines have in my view been extremely lucky and this should not be considered the norm.
Standard all the way.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
I don't know if anyone's seen this but the RS 'Edition' has been announced.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/ford-focus-rs-edition-review/36660

I'd been giving serious thought to getting this as it is the last run out model (production has gone on far longer than was originally suggested/speculated at the time I ordered)...potentially but as yet unconfirmed with red paint and some tarty carbon bits etc. but the fact that it comes a) with the shell seats (comical for someone of my height and build) by default and b) the front diff (more exit traction but less arse end swinging fun) and c) no sunroof option (I f***ing love mine!) means I'm staying put.

No thanks.
I agree with your decision but not how you came to it! Ha! I don't think the diff is necessary, the car is awesome enough as it is, I thought the carbon bits looked pretty good 😊, plus they can be retrofitted and I love the seats (personal preference after all) however, no unique external colour, what's the point?! I know there's been mention of a red one, that'd be the one to go for...not that I will, I'm not going to spend a further c. £6k for one.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Dick swinging exercise for the most part, i'd imagine.
Probably.
I'd also add, from what I've seen, a lot of modified mk2 FRS owners bought the mk3 and were underwhelmed with how the RS accelerated (it is deceptively quick as the acceleration is pretty linear) so they tried to emulate what they had before from the get go rather than wait for any issues / frailties to be exposed / worked around. Some of these people are now being burnt and others have sold on for fear of being burnt.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The Ford world is completely obsessed by power though.

They are indeed, I've come to learn that. Is it from the days of obsession over massive power easily available from the Sierra Cosworth?

I honestly don't know why people think they will get a replacement engine if they mod beyond the warranty friendly m375. I've bitten my tongue on the other forum but those that have had replacement engines have in my view been extremely lucky and this should not be considered the norm.
Standard all the way.

I keep quiet in those threads too...personal offense is far too easily taken.

Dick swinging exercise for the most part, i'd imagine.

I think it is!

Probably.
I'd also add, from what I've seen, a lot of modified mk2 FRS owners bought the mk3 and were underwhelmed with how the RS accelerated (it is deceptively quick as the acceleration is pretty linear) so they tried to emulate what they had before from the get go rather than wait for any issues / frailties to be exposed / worked around. Some of these people are now being burnt and others have sold on for fear of being burnt.

I think those chasing power have completely missed the point of the RS. It's about swinging it about and feeling heroic while you do it...not flooring it in a straight line for 13 seconds.

Ive not driven one but cant imagine it needs more power?
Looks great mark. Love the sunroof.

It certainly doesn't. Genuinely, not once have I thought I needed more.

Everything needs more power.

As above it really doesn't. It has just enough to do stupid speeds and stupid things, whenever you want. That's enough.

Sounds like quite a few engines are failing on these :eek:penmouth:

Less than 1% is the general consensus. I'll happily take those odds on my standard 100k/5yr warranted car.