ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook Pro RAM

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Just got myself 16gb of RAM to put in my macbook pro rather than running the 4gb that it came with.

Now i have seen a lot of mixed reviews on ESD (anti static discharge) and some people are saying i need a anti static wrist band and other saying i don't. Has anyone changed the RAM without one and just put it in ?

Any tips on how to change it ?

Cheers

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Upgraded mine and a friends on my kitchen side lol, no anti static stuff etc and that was all fine. They're really easy to change too, few screws underneath then the ram just slots out of its cradles..

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I've done lots and never damaged one.
Intact I purposely tried to kill a stick with static and couldn't do it. Rubbing it on the screen of a CRT and everything. You'll be fine.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've built countless computers and never used a wristband (because amateur) and never had a problem.

As long as you don't go trampolining first and then rub the RAM on a woolly jumper I think you'll be fine. I used to fix Xboxes on the carpet because I didn't have a worktop at home and they were fine.

Disclaimer: This post isn't trying to disprove the static warnings.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Its all done and was done in under 2mins.

Took longer to get the screws off the back then it did to put the RAM in.

Now its time to start looking at a SSD

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 22.10.38.png

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
ESD tends to lead to partial damage, which can then cause premature failure of the component (if you're lucky) or worse cause an intermittent issue that you're unlikely to diagnose as a hardware fault.
Just the part appears to function correctly immediately, doesn't mean you haven't damaged it.