ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook Pro ram - can you still upgrade it yourself?

As the topic says really - is this possible? I swear I read somewhere they stopped you from doing it but can't find anything to give me a straight answer.
Ta!

Cayman S Edition 1
Mines 8gb and manages ok running photoshop, lightroom etc. 16gb would be nice but not a show stopper:)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You can't on any Retina MBP product. Same is true for the Mac Mini's from 2012 onward as it's all on the logic boards. I still find this possibly the most annoying thing about Apple ownership

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yup here's your RAM buddy, in yellow! Good luck changing that lol 😧

UKXOdnyfCEmQIQwG.jpg

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have a 13" MBP late 2011 and i want to upgrade from 4gb to 16gb of ram.
Can this be done ?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many

Perfect, Been reading stuff on the apple support forums and it seems that going 16Gb and a SSD hard drive seems to be amazing so this is my plan.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
Perfect, Been reading stuff on the apple support forums and it seems that going 16Gb and a SSD hard drive seems to be amazing so this is my plan.

In my opinion it may be better to go with some of the fusion style drives available, gives you the speed of ssd and the capacity of a disk drive

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Honestly?
Come on Apple - that is just f**king disgusting. There's trying to grab more money at the initial purchase point - and then there's just taking the piss.

The MBP my girlfriend recently purchased is the 8GB. But I always thought about upgrading it to 16GB should she need it in the future. I can even understand (to an extent) about using propriety RAM. But to stop you from upgrading it altogether? That's fundamentally wrong.

D.

FF Clio 182
I suppose having the ram directly soldered to the board instead of on a chip you eliminate a lot of bandwidth issues

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
In my opinion it may be better to go with some of the fusion style drives available, gives you the speed of ssd and the capacity of a disk drive

Thing is a 512Gb SSD can be had for £150 now, and terabyte drives aren't as ludicrous as they were. So personally if you're going to do it may as go full SSD :)

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
Thing is a 512Gb SSD can be had for £150 now, and terabyte drives aren't as ludicrous as they were. So personally if you're going to do it may as go full SSD :)
I think this shows how out of the loop I am, last time I checked prices on an ssd they were ludicrous