ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knackered battery in iPhone - Chance of replacement?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
:rage:

Getting seriously annoying now! Started happening around 15% but has gradually crept up to about 30% now; the battery will die on said amount of battery, then as soon as you plug it into a charger it'll jump to a random number, usually between 10% and 40%

Have tried a calibration which helped for about a week. Tried contacting Apple today, done a diagnostic check thingy where they got all my information from battery... then they called me twice but both times I answered it went dead after selecting 1 to speak to the engineer.

Nearest Apple Store is like a 2 hour drive so wondering if anyone had any luck with getting a replacement battery or iPhone? It's 18 months old now unfortunately.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
They may do it as a gesture of goodwill, but it's doubtful, they will likely offer a replacement at a cheaper price. £200 ish iirc

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Mine died recently and it was covered by Apple care. If however it wasn't, I was told around £60 for Apple to replace the battery... I thought that was a pretty reasonable price.

Clio 182
Everytime I've swapped a iPhone battery the replacement has been absolute rubbish.

There is no quality control on them. At least you know the overpriced Apple one can perform.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
:rage:

Getting seriously annoying now! Started happening around 15% but has gradually crept up to about 30% now; the battery will die on said amount of battery, then as soon as you plug it into a charger it'll jump to a random number, usually between 10% and 40%

Have tried a calibration which helped for about a week. Tried contacting Apple today, done a diagnostic check thingy where they got all my information from battery... then they called me twice but both times I answered it went dead after selecting 1 to speak to the engineer.

Nearest Apple Store is like a 2 hour drive so wondering if anyone had any luck with getting a replacement battery or iPhone? It's 18 months old now unfortunately.

Southend to Lakeside is about 45 - 60 minutes yah wally! Get down there :) Take the mrs, she'll love the shopping spree.. haha

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
If I've got to pay, I won't bother... it's not because I'm tight lol, but I've only got 5 months left on this contract so not worth it imo.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
If I've got to pay, I won't bother... it's not because I'm tight lol, but I've only got 5 months left on this contract so not worth it imo.

It's £12 a month to have a battery that works properly?

Penny wise pound foolish if you ask me.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Look, the reality here is that you're overplaying this for some reason, Apple in lakeside can't be far from you, certainly not two hours.

Finally, book an appointment, go down there and be very polite, tell them you're a bit disappointed as its not that old, you bought Apple because you thought it was supposed to be good quality etc and the chances are they'll replace it for free.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Also worth pointing out that you don't need an appointment in advance if you're prepared to turn up 30 mins before they open. I don't bother any more. Turn up just before opening, explain what's what. Then get an appointment usually for about 15 minutes after opening.

Have a coffee while you wait, go to your appointment, then leave the shopping centre before it gets mega busy.

Rs200t lux
Southend to Lakeside is about 45 - 60 minutes yah wally! Get down there :smile: Take the mrs, she'll love the shopping spree.. haha

Lakeside. Now that's a blast from the past , I remember Travelling from Scotland to work there when they were first building it

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I have exactly the same issue with my 18 month old 6, Apple are saying it's not the battery (been to the Genuis Bar twice now) diagnostics is showing 86% and in green status so they say a £60 battery replacement won't sort the issue (i'm dubious) so they suggest a full replacement at £229 or.... the bloke kept yapping on about European Consumer Law and that it is covered by the retailer that sold it you, Giff Gaff didn't want to know, so i'm currently stuck in a game of tennis between Giff Gaff and Apple. It's back in Giff Gaff's court at the minute. I'm awaiting a message back from them after using words like 'legally obliged' etc, I think they can't be arsed.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Meh, bit annoying. At the end of the day when I trade this into Mazuma or whatever they aren't going to deduct any money from it.

I might pop into Lakeside/Bluewater if the missus specifically wants to go there, but I'm not going there especially for this... I detest those places. Maybe I'd be better off popping into EE then to see what they say; they're only 5 minutes down the road at least.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Since updating to 9.2.1 or whatever it is at the moment my battery life has halved, charging my phone twice a day now. Could be related?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Meh, bit annoying. At the end of the day when I trade this into Mazuma or whatever they aren't going to deduct any money from it.

I might pop into Lakeside/Bluewater if the missus specifically wants to go there, but I'm not going there especially for this... I detest those places. Maybe I'd be better off popping into EE then to see what they say; they're only 5 minutes down the road at least.

If I've spec'd the test for them, they will deduct money for a fucked battery.

Clio 182 - RB
Mine also does this but only have 2 months left of this contract so not that fussed.

One minute i'll have 86% battery, the next i'll have 8% its a joke having to charge your phone x amount of times a day [emoji52]

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Thanks. I'll bookmark that because whilst I'm not interested in having to pay for it... I was planning to sell this iPhone to my boss, but as it currently stands I wouldn't recommend it! However at least I can say to him if he does want it, a new battery can be chucked in it for only £25 :smile:

my iPhone 6 is exactly the same, could go to 40% within an hour then just turn off. I'll plug it into a charger and it will come back on at a random number percentage.

Recently been on holiday and pretty much had it permanently plugged into a power bank the whole time.