ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jimbob's Black Gold 182

Theese top mounts are.... not good. When you hit in holechina seger broke, and china uniball go away to top. Only way is buing a high precision hard seger, and take care of uniball. Price is big, but precision unfortunely no.
hutey butey datey hutey

Thanks all for the kind words, very pleased how it came up!

So quite a bit to update! First was my brake refresh/upgrade :

Untitled
by Jimbob_2705, on Flickr

Fedoro DS2500 Front Pads
Brembo Rear Pads
Brembo HC Front Discs
Genuine Renault Rear Discs (Didn't fit as old discs still have plenty of life left)
HEL Braided Brake Lines
ATE Type 200 Brake Fluid (Superblue)

Few pictures along the way :

29578960285_3657faea24_c.jpg
Untitled
28953511824_3a5eed97e8_c.jpg
Untitled
29469134262_d5e81c30a4_c.jpg
Untitled
Old Brake Lines off and replaced with new HEL Braided Replacements

So onto the discs, all was going well until one of the disc bolts rounded off on me so that was drilled out
28953509694_0d23c32576_c.jpg
Untitled

New Vs. Old
29469035062_4c6e4096de_c.jpg
Untitled

Thought I'd give this a try as I always hated the look of rusty brake discs
29469125452_aa74255f9d_c.jpg
Untitled
29579010205_6c5995282a_c.jpg
Untitled
Worked an absolute treat! Used VHT Matt Black Paint, and it looks so much better - well worth spending the time doing!

And all back together complete
28953452684_72093c6808_c.jpg
Untitled

Also gave it a service with New Oil and Oil Filter, the third time in just over a year - I'm a strong believer in frequent services to help prolong the life of the engine and make sure it's running right
28953438394_ffa09da3d8_c.jpg
Untitled
28955503873_6712128cea_c.jpg
Untitled
28953425784_963a64d258_c.jpg

Admittedly the problem with doing it yourself is you'll never get a service stamp, but I keep all the invoices and hopefully this will provide proof of it being done!
Untitled by Jimbob_2705, on Flickr

Reactions: Gus
So onto the more exciting bit, most of all this preparation has been done in time for my first Trackday at Llandow at RSUK

First time ever on the track, but had an absolute amazing time and thoroughly enjoyed it! Massive thanks to both @SimpleJoee and @josh11490 for showing me the ropes, if I wasn't out myself I was out with them trying to pick up some tips and grinning from ear to ear - also seriously impressed how well both their GTI/VTS's went, just goes to show power isn't everything!

Many thanks to @Ads29 and his wife for the photos (Hope I've tagged the right person?!)
29794329955_4813952d7f_c.jpg
IMG_3691
29712144391_04333020be_c.jpg
IMG_3726
29712246671_7231d04c6b_c.jpg
IMG_3737
29169269243_ac76daa2f7_c.jpg
IMG_3759

So onto the Car - it performed really well, chuffed how well it did! Brakes were spot on, not a hint of fade and seemed to stop well, brake pedal feels so much nicer and firmer now! Handling I was happy with, not too much body roll (even if the pictures don't look like it haha) since I'm just on Cooksport springs but I think the Rear ARB helped a lot. The Recaro Treadlines' were OK as the driver as I could use the steering wheel, but I felt sorry for my passengers as they had to hold on quite a lot to make sure they didn't fall out lol

Only thing which let me down was the Tyres! I stuck to my normal road going PS3's and they soon started to deteriorate, but I did expect this as Llandow is renowned as a left tyre ruiner
28953424164_7c76a1b0a2_c.jpg
Untitled
Not sure if it was a case of wrong tyre pressure, pushing it too much or just normal for the track but compared to Joe's and Josh's AD08R's the difference was huge, whereas I was struggling for traction around some of the corners and going half throttle, they were foot planted and flying around!

Didn't want to risk driving back on that so luckily I took my spare old 182 alloys to chuck on the front, giving a very odd look with mismatching wheels haha
29794394945_55ce229908_c.jpg
Untitled

Put the whole set on as I couldn't bear to be seen with wheels like that
29167011594_a7c0eb9250_c.jpg
Untitled
Really don't like the standard 182 alloys, just don't do it for me and you can see why Turinis are so popular!

So whilst all that was happening I got my Turinis fitted with brand new tyres all around, went for a change this time from PS3's - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's in 205/45/16
29166992724_05549509ea_c.jpg
Untitled
Really interested to see what these are like, as I was a little disappointed how my PS3's lasted on the fronts last time (rears lasted very well though on the other hand), so will be a good comparison as people rate them highly, infact looking online they actually get better reviews than the Michelins...

Unfortunately Turinis won't be back on until later this week, as I've still got he following to fit : New Genuine Renault Lower Arms/Wishbones, Genuine Inner Tie Rods & Track Rod Ends, Powerflex Black Inner and Outer ARB Bushes and Powerflex Black Steering Rack Bushes. Plan is to fit them all along with my Camber bolts and take it to be all aligned and setup with my new tyres - Interested to see what settings people would recommend for a fast road setup?

Finally a cool beading shot, looks like that Collinite wax is still doing its job!
29166940304_d4a4064406_c.jpg

Untitled by Jimbob_2705, on Flickr

So safe to say I've got the track bug!! So this may change my plans with this, first thing on the list is 15" Track Tyres and Semi Slicks, then it looks like I'll be going down the Rear Cage, Buckets and Harness Route but still keeping it looking OEM inside (carpets, etc), much like @Cub. in his Flamer

So watch this space...

Have a look at @Austin-182 thread. He managed to get a plain book and get @LeeRS to make a sticker so that he can keep track of DIY servicing. Great idea.
Thanks Mark, I'll have a look but it already sound like an awesome idea!

Would love to keep it that little bit more genuine, but can't afford to pay a garage £100+ labour every few months for something that I can do myself! Would rather it done by myself more often then getting a garage to do it once a year! At the end of the day the car doesn't care who does it lol

I'm just about to have my tea and I'll reply to your message on FB buddy

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
You know what James, these cars aren't worth full service from garages anymore. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have some paperwork and I wouldn't buy a car without any, but if you have all receipts for DIY stuff then I would never be put off as a buyer.

As you said, it seems sully to pay for a garage to do it when you can do it yourself at a fair bit cheaper. Obviously bugger jobs aren't worth the hassle.

I'm going to look into the DIY book and stickers myself.

Cars looking great as always mate.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Mark, I'll have a look but it already sound like an awesome idea!

Would love to keep it that little bit more genuine, but can't afford to pay a garage £100+ labour every few months for something that I can do myself! Would rather it done by myself more often then getting a garage to do it once a year! At the end of the day the car doesn't care who does it lol

I'm just about to have my tea and I'll reply to your message on FB buddy
Have a look at my progress thread mate. I also had a stamp made up so I can still stamp the service book and reflect it was a self service.

Skoda Fabia VRS
It's terrible in person.

Or I'm jealous and just miss mine!
Was a great day out, nice to meet you in person and I'm sure we'll be on track again with each other next year!

Thanks again for taking me out in this around llandow mate, cracking example of a 182, makes me miss mine!

It's terrible in person.

Or I'm jealous and just miss mine!
Was a great day out, nice to meet you in person and I'm sure we'll be on track again with each other next year!

Thanks both, can't wait for the next track day - once I get some AD08's on it we'll see how well it goes against your Saxo/106's, looking forward to it!

So anyway, more work done on the car - slowly getting around to fitting all my bits!

Mate helped out this time, which made life so much easier, especially as he's a bit of a whiz working on Clio's!

29566747010_90f85bd772_c.jpg
Untitled

So here we have Genuine Renault Lower Arms, Genuine Renault Inner Tie Rods and Lemforder Track Rod Ends
29824787616_6ef66e7b71_c.jpg
Untitled

New Vs. Old Lower Arm
29859980815_a030176821_c.jpg
Untitled

New Vs. Old Inner Tie Rod
29746370102_b31c147ccb_c.jpg
Untitled
Went for the Genuine one as I've heard of issues as I needed the Cup version, which I understand is longer than a standard non-cup

Onto the bushes - Powerflex Black Inner ARB Bushes, Powerflex Black Outer ARB Bushes and Powerflex Black Steering Rack Bushes
29233590743_e10edb6fc6_c.jpg
Untitled

Outer ARB Bushes fitted and new Lower Arm
29746347342_9f4e8e9384_c.jpg
Untitled
29746358032_c416761a69_c.jpg
Untitled

Inner ARB Bushes fitted
29232763434_6f364f83e2_c.jpg
Untitled

And finally the old bits (minus the inner ARB bushes as I couldn't find the bloody things to put in the photo lol)
29777153861_2e34d01512_c.jpg
Untitled

Didn't get around to fitting the steering rack bushes unfortunately, but hopefully going to do it Monday - so plan is fit Turinis back on with new wheels, fitted camber bolts, fit steering rack bushes, and get it all aligned on a hunter system...then it should be good to go!

I also need to fit a front left wheel bearing, as it sounds like it's on its way out, so I've ordered a genuine Renault one which will be fitted Monday with my mates help and press

I wasn't lying when I said I'd caught the track bug...already bought myself some track wheels!

29748991142_b6e892a01d_c.jpg
Untitled

Now I was keeping an eye out for most things - TD 1.2, OZ F1's, OZ Ultras/Supers, etc, but I fancied something a bit different from the norm, as most of them are seriously overdone (albeit for a good reason)

So this is what I ended up buying - OZ Crono Evo 15", ET36, 7J
29236199023_0ca5cca98f_c.jpg
Untitled

And this is what a tidy set looks like :
29749104102_37093f201c_c.jpg
20130326_182750_Hagrid_zps3ef443f8
29779875641_4f273bdb6b_c.jpg
20130326_173435_Hagrid_zpscf9d1910

From what I've researched, read and been told these are a very rare wheel, especially in 15" and true 4x100 (rather than multifit), so the chances of seeing another set on a clio is slim! In my research I've found one silver clio on a set of multi-fits and thats it, so hopefully there's not too many more out there!

From what I'd read online and from what limited amount of information I found I was hoping they'd be in the range of 6-7kg, with an Italian Forum saying they were 6.6kg I think it was, so I thought I was onto a winner!
29235273594_9e7f9f1367_c.jpg
Untitled
Turns out that this isn't the case...absolute b*llocks = 8.7kg! Thought I was onto a winner, but hey ho...turns out I'm not!

At the end of the day I'm not a track warrior which is looking at trying to get my time down every second, I mean I still have half my interior in, so the weight isn't a deal breaker - it's just a bit of shame! I know Speedline 2118's weigh more, and a fair few run them, so it can't be the end of the world haha

Now it's a case of deciding what colour to refurb them, which at the moment I'm undecided...so will have a good old think and see what people think!
I've done a few photoshops below to see what people think, bit of cheating I'll admit as I've matched them up to my 16" Turinis (which they're smaller than) and lowered my car slightly as I'm going to get Coilovers to get rid of the horrific arch gap on 15's lol
29862495445_a6af6e0e84_c.jpg
Silver OZ 1
29236236023_d1d232c5b1_c.jpg
Gold OZ 1

Grey OZ 2

I think I'm leaning towards a nice bright silver and getting the OZ stickers in black, or maybe a grey with white OZ Stickers...at the end of the day it doesn't matter too much as they're only track wheels, so I doubt I'll go to town on them - probably a home refurb or done on mates rates so will look half respectable

Tyres is next on the list, every chance I'll go AD08R's, as these can be had for almost £50 a corner if you know where to get them from!

Also need to find some Spigot Rings for them to fit the Clio, but I'm sure that'll be easy enough - I hope anyway!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I love your car! A pretty penny being spent on it of late!

When are you planning on getting coilovers James? If it's soon, is it not worth holding out and getting the alignment done once they are fitted or will it be a while yet?

Also I got my AD08r's from a Ben Patey off the Facebook group and it was £240 delivered. Delivery was spot on too, very quick.

Also, bright silver looks ace. I like the dark grey too but I think the silver has the edge. As you said, get some stickers on there to break it up and also look original and your onto a winner!

Cracking work so far mate!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Those wheels are bloody lovely mate! Like you said its rare to see a set that isn't multi fitment. Nice purchase!

You mentioned you're disappointment with the PS3's and I can only agree. My first track day at Blyton last year was using the Michelin's and they really were at the limit of what they could provide in terms of performance.

My next track day was at Thruxton, and I purchased a set of Nankang NS2R's and the difference was night and day! They've got a really solid side wall which gives you a lot of confidence in the corners. The PS3's felt like they we're going to come off the wheel!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Nice to see I wasn't the only one to cut through the tie rods, I couldn't get my TRE's off for love nor money just ended taking an angle grinder to the tie rod.

Wheels have got to be Silver!

Those wheels are bloody lovely mate! Like you said its rare to see a set that isn't multi fitment. Nice purchase!

You mentioned you're disappointment with the PS3's and I can only agree. My first track day at Blyton last year was using the Michelin's and they really were at the limit of what they could provide in terms of performance.

My next track day was at Thruxton, and I purchased a set of Nankang NS2R's and the difference was night and day! They've got a really solid side wall which gives you a lot of confidence in the corners. The PS3's felt like they we're going to come off the wheel!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
If you think the ps3 are bad you should try the goodyear f1 asymmetric 2 there sidewalls are so thin soft and wobbly.

That's a brilliant wheel choice, nicely done! I agree, silver OR dark for the new colour and defo the stickers. With those as track wheels and Turini's for road use, that's a perfect set up :cool:

Interesting read about the tyres, I had 4 brand new PS3's fitted on my old EP3 Civic Type-R earlier this year and then took it round Snetterton. I'm agreeing with the comments about their performance although i'd only had them fitted the day before so wasn't 100% on my verdict at the time. The Yokohama Parada's on that car when I bought it though were the worst tyres I've ever had in the wet however so this made the PS3's a huge improvement lol!

Jesus, what a long time since I've posted in here!

Besides general maintenance tasks and servicing (note to self I really need to do the self servicing stickers since I've owned the car) I don't think I've actually changed anything on the Clio since I last updated it!

Unfortunately between setting up my own business and getting myself a girlfriend (both extremely costly things) I haven't had much time or interest - but I've got the bug again and safe to say it's getting a few more parts...so watch this space.

Meanwhile, here's a few photos since my last update just so I don't get too much withdrawal symptoms from my photo whoring
Photo 12-01-2017, 21 41 37-2.jpg

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_4191.JPG

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yep still got it mate.

Funny enough was looking at getting one of those wheels, hoping they were cheaper. Nope, lol

Car still looks great chap, good stuff! :up::up:

Was going to say that isn't the Sparco RS wheel as it has the centre horn push, but was beaten to it lol! In actual fact, it's the same steering wheel I have in mine which is the 330mm size! So there's now a whole 3 Clio's I know of with that wheel, getting common now 😂

Looks a really light colour here but just a trick of the light, is darker

New%20Renault%20Sport%20Mats%20-%20May%202017%2003_zpswskzlovs.jpg

Well looks like I haven't updated this for a good little while again..little bit has happened :

Spax RSX Coilovers happened, as well as finally getting my OZ Chrono's on the car, wrapped in AD08R's, also fitted some new tie rod ends again :

35773506200_5369ec2f33_c.jpg
Untitled
35996801362_a71e87a708_c.jpg
Untitled
36124228696_d9dc7edaa5_c.jpg
Untitled

I rate them well, set them up halfway which was still fairly stiff compared to my Cooksports, but the lack of body roll was something else, that along with the AD08's transformed the car massively! Plenty stiff enough for daily use, but I should of adjusted them a couple of clicks softer but quite enjoyed the new found stiffness and handling with it

However, I'm sure as some of you already know by now, there is a very big update...which I'll post now after this

Then this happened...
35915301812_d32183bb64_c.jpg
Untitled
35951094511_2cbecf9ec3_c.jpg
Untitled

It's an Oyster Grey 250 Cup, with a wicked factory spec and most optional extras - Recaros, RS Monitor, Bi-Xenons, Climate Control, Keyless, Auto Lights/Wipers, DRL's and no doubt some other stuff I've missed!
It's pretty much standard bar a Panel Filter, Midbox Chop and an all important RS Tuning Map!

Why the change?
The Clio has/had gone too far as a daily to put it simply, admittedly it was all my own doing in the quest of improving all out handling. Do I regret it? Not at all, the car ended up being a wicked spec and has shown up a lot of supposedly 'quicker' cars.

But the Megane compared to the Clio it's honestly like luxury. Reading reviews people said the Cup Chassis was stiff, but in comparison to my Clio this is like a Rolls Royce I kid you not! I do miss the 'rawness' of the Clio at times, and the Megane does seem a little less connected I guess you could say, but overall I think it could be the perfect compromise of a daily toy for me!
It's scary how quiet and effortless it seems compared to the Clio, don't get me wrong it puts you back in the seat but it's not until you look at the speedo you see how fast your actually going!
After 2 weeks I am missing the Clio, will happily admit that, but I have a feeling with a couple of tweaks and a bit more time with the Megane, it will be the right decision!

I've just started a progress thread over on the Megane forum, but will copy it over to here if there's any interest?

I should point out the Clio hasn't gone yet, but it will be shortly put officially for sale...I did give it one last detail this weekend :

35357781703_3f920da334_c.jpg
Untitled
35996152452_d1cbb82e8c_c.jpg
Untitled
36123674926_040f7fbf3b_c.jpg
Untitled

And a quick spec list/advert I wrote up :

Clio 182 Full Fat / Both Cup Packs
FSH - Belts done end 2014 by Specialist
55 Plate
75k Miles
11 Months MOT

Suspension
Spax RSX Fully Adjustable Dampening Coilovers
Vibratechnics Solid Engine Mounts
Evol Dogbone Mount
PMS Solid Top Mounts and Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear ARB with Upgraded Droplinks
Powerflex Black Inner and Outer ARB Bushes
Powerflex Steering Rack Bushes
All suspension components (Wishbones, Inner Tie Rod, Track Rod Ends, etc) have been replaced in my ownership with Brand New Genuine Parts

Engine
Fatty Induction Kit
RS Tuner 98 RON Remap (RS Tuner can be included)
Custom Stainless Exhaust System with Decat

Brakes
Fedoro DS2500 Front Pads (2 sets)
Brand New Front Brembo HC
Brand New Genuine Rear Discs
Brand New Rear Brembo Pads
HEL Braided Lines

Wheels / Tyres
Speedline Turini 16" Cup Offset with PS3's
Can include OZ Chrono 15" with AD08R's
Stud Conversion Kit

Interior
Recaro Trendlines
Flocked Dash
Sparco Steering Wheel
Custom Cruise Control Bracket
Carbon Fibre Dash Trims and Gearstick Insert
Stripped Rear with Custom Boot Mat

It's going to be a sad day when this goes, but I seriously have no doubts that I will own another at some point. Unfortunately funds don't really allow me to keep both, and with me wanting to modify the Megane, it's best not have two modified cars.

Last edited: