ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jimbob's Black Gold 182

You've gone full hero in my eyes mate! Looking forward to seeing what you've got instore for the gearstick thing too!

The difference between them is that the evol one is a bit stiffer but imo it made a big difference to the power response, it's just there instantly now

I'm just copying you I think Dan, just a few steps behind lol, Next I'll be stripping it out fully and looking at getting boost in my life

Which version did you go for Dan, as I think they did a Road and Race?

That's a pretty penny spending list there bud!

I know Mark, thought I'd give her one big birthday!

Never clicked until tonight on FB that that was your RB 182, looks absolutely mint! Trophy Spoiler or a Rep?

28487410482_a31cc449ae_c.jpg
by Jimbob_2705, on Flickr
Shame I only had my iPhone on me, but still came out half decent after a quick clean

If anyones looking of for a decent spray on wax/detailer - Sonax 'Brilliant Shine' Detailer is awesome : http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detai...brilliant-shine-detailer-750ml/prod_1178.html

Normally get my stuff from CleanYourCar.co.uk , but as a heads up its cheaper from EuroCarParts, especially after using one of their discount codes, I've just bought 3 bottles to stock up with!

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yes, but I have to confess it's got a set of 19" alloys in the boot so it's fake lows lol

Does make me want to get Coilovers for it though, although how low you could go before you sacrifice handling I wouldn't know...

Thought it was quite low for Cooksports, just drive round with them in the back all the time and you've got lows for a fraction of the price haha.

I'm on KW coilovers and got them quite low and still seems to handle ok. Fair doo's if I raised it a bit it'd probably handle a bit better but I like how it sits atm. If you look in the media section at the 'Todays Yorkshire Meet' thread, there's a pic of mine in there that I took at the weekend.

Thought it was quite low for Cooksports, just drive round with them in the back all the time and you've got lows for a fraction of the price haha.

I'm on KW coilovers and got them quite low and still seems to handle ok. Fair doo's if I raised it a bit it'd probably handle a bit better but I like how it sits atm. If you look in the media section at the 'Todays Yorkshire Meet' thread, there's a pic of mine in there that I took at the weekend.

Just had a look, looks a good height! Is that as low as they go on the back?

Bilstein B14's is what I think I want, just trying to work out if it's worth £600 to just go slightly lower as I can't see the handling being night and day - but I could be completely wrong!

Just thought I'd rather put that £600 towards a complete suspension refresh with upgraded parts and bushes, rather than get some shines new coilovers which are running on 10 year old bushes...

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Just had a look, looks a good height! Is that as low as they go on the back?

Bilstein B14's is what I think I want, just trying to work out if it's worth £600 to just go slightly lower as I can't see the handling being night and day - but I could be completely wrong!

Just thought I'd rather put that £600 towards a complete suspension refresh with upgraded parts and bushes, rather than get some shines new coilovers which are running on 10 year old bushes...

Yeh, that's without the adjusters in as well, couldn't go much lower though as I can only just get my finger between the tyre and the arch and with a full tank of fuel it's very very close.

I love my coilovers purely for being able to raise/lower when I want/need to and luckily I got mine second hand for a good price so couldn't turn them down. Bet it'll feel ace with every suspension part new.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Do you rate the kw's?

I really liked the b14's I had

Yeh really like them, very similar to the B14's IMO. When I got them I was going for the B14's but as I say the KW's came up second hand for a good price so went with them as I had AP's on my old A3 which are pretty much lower spec KW's and really rated them.

Did the Black Mountain Pass the other day, photos in the Media Section (well as soon as they finish uploading)

Was a good day out and Clio performed spot on - The more I drive it the more I appreciate it, really is a fantastic drivers car, and the handling is great...really can't wait to fit all my new bits

On the way back from the A4069 I called back by Hay Bluff (15 minutes from my house) to get a few photos of the Clio

28060858354_2fb3d8e63f_c.jpg
DSC_6094
28599518861_7e8511b277_c.jpg
DSC_6082
28060300794_791bfb8c14_c.jpg
DSC_6079
28571648272_2c02a59660_c.jpg
DSC_6093
28393779840_c8bdf2060a_c.jpg
DSC_6097
28571979862_df32ca8b03_c.jpg
DSC_6103

Still do to over the next couple of weeks - Fit a mint rear bumper I've got spare, get my carbon bits re-dipped as the lacquer is peeling, change the splitter back to a Fabia one as I've got the current one on a kerb and it doesn't sit right, and finally it will be given a machine polish.

Majority of my bits for the suspension and brake refresh are here, but still waiting for a couple bits to come...

Also found a Genuine Trophy Spoiler at a good price, so that should come in the next couple of days then I can get that resprayed and fitted! Exciting times!

Teg
Are them photos enhanced or natural? Regardless it looks epic... I've never understood why people on here bum all over the RB Clios, to me its a tarts colour looks like a puffs Clio.. This is how they should look.

It'll look well with a trophy spoiler and some wheel centre caps.. You've done a good job so far, good effort:up:

Are them photos enhanced or natural? Regardless it looks epic... I've never understood why people on here bum all over the RB Clios, to me its a tarts colour looks like a puffs Clio.. This is how they should look.

It'll look well with a trophy spoiler and some wheel centre caps.. You've done a good job so far, good effort:up:
Photos are edited to the sense of bringing back highlights, general exposure tweaks and some slight sharpening

The reflections/shine you see are 100% real, courtesy of that Sonax Detailer Spray that I rate very well, but yes a better quality DSLR camera will pick up the reflections better than some phone camera - I'll happily admit that

And there we have it, the first person to mention centre caps! I've been waiting and waiting for someone to notice haha, I never quite got around to fitting them as they need to be resprayed and tbh since no one mentioned I was going to leave it

But thanks for the kind words, it's getting there slowly - exterior, suspension and brakes will all be done over the next month, just leaving interior (cage, etc) and engine more to come...so watch this space!

Well instead of fitting all my parts I've bought...I ended up buying more parts!!

Can you guess what I've bought with this as a clue...
28932634721_c7101d5573_c.jpg
Untitled

Pretty obvious isn't it?!

28391692563_9ef3a4b45a_c.jpg
Untitled

That's right, a flocked dash!

28391692403_abd092d77c_c.jpg
Untitled

Also fitted my Sparco 330mm Steering Wheel and Momo Boss, and I absolutely love the wheel! Perfect size and looks very OEM (well as far as after market wheels go) so I'm chuffed with it
Got a Cruise Control bracket coming off a chap who makes them on Facebook, so I won't lose any features which is nice
Also used my RS Tuner with the Airbag Module to simply turn off the Steering Wheel Airbag which is awesome, so much easier than using resistors, and just seems less of a 'bodge'

I've got some Flocked A Pillars to fit as well - once I've worked out the best approach with my alarm sensors

Half tempted to just not fit them onto the new pillars as they'll look rubbish being grey, but will it affect anything? Not sure how critical they are? So any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Over the next week I'm fitting all my bits in the evening hopefully, along with the help of a couple of mates - so watch this space!
Currently using my sisters old Clio 1.2 as a daily, and I've only used it one day and I already hate it...so the sooner I get this all done the better!

Last edited:
Nice work dude. That wheel looks great too!
Cheers Dan, always wanted to go flocked but couldn't be bothered with the hassle, but there's a localish guy who has started doing Clio ones and at a good price so thought why not!

Yeh really pleased with it, suits what I want absolutely spot on, wanted something smaller but not too aftermarket looking with all the yellow trimming, etc
image.jpeg

And at 330mm with a ever so tiny amount of dish it seems perfect, but only early days yet

They're something like £165 new, but I managed to get it at a decent one off price

Had another night working on the car, quite pleased with the progress tonight - only quick snaps off my phone again sorry, didn't have my DSLR with me

Changed out the rear shocks for brand new Cup ones
28927447242_99e23809c9_c.jpg
Untitled
Old Vs. New
28746394830_58a95d6ec4_c.jpg
Untitled

Also uprated the drop links on my Whiteline Rear ARB, not that I felt like they needed upgrading, just more a reason that I could and it gave me something to see if it makes any difference
28746371970_ccc54115e0_c.jpg
Untitled
Basically they're just ultra high performance rose joints, with a couple of different type fittings

Both shocks and drop links fitted
28999604276_d527a0a75b_c.jpg
Untitled

Also made a start on fitting my Vibra-Technics solid engine mounts, fitted the engine one which was nice and easy with the car on axle stands and a jack with wooden block on the sump
28956614811_8589cb99a6_c.jpg
Untitled
As you can see I sprayed the base bit purple, more as a test to see what colour the paint was, as it is what I will be spraying a couple of bits (rear strut brace, etc)

Eventually I'll get around to tarting my engine bay up properly, but that's last on my list - performance mods first, along with interior and exterior

I did start on the Gearbox Vibra mount, but if I'm honest I was halfway through taking the cage off and it was 11PM, so thought I'd call it a night and finish it off tomorrow, which is another job for the very long to-do list!

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Another good update mate.

Sorry if I've missed this but what mounts have you got on your Recaro's? Are the just the Recaro ones or Jon Foz ones?

Another good update mate.

Sorry if I've missed this but what mounts have you got on your Recaro's? Are the just the Recaro ones or Jon Foz ones?
Thanks buddy! As far as I know they're original Recaro/Trophy mounts, came with the seats when I bought them
nice progress James! You'll definitely notice the difference with all of that. Do you have all of your other bushes yet? Its going to be like a different car entirely.
Cheers Dan, it's getting there slowly! All the bushes are with me and waiting to be fitted - Inner and Outer ARB, and Steering Rack ones - all black series Powerflex!

Honestly can't wait to get it out to try it, going from 10 year old parts which have done 60k, to new parts which are upgraded over OEM parts - get some decent tracking and I think the suspension will be spot on
Engine will feel tighter for sure.

A tad more vibration will occur but nothing serious.
Cheers Mark, that's what I like to hear - just from rocking the engine by hand you can tell there's a massive difference, so can't wait to drive it!

Going to keep this short and sweet as absolutely shattered after only 5 hours sleep last night,

Vibra-Technic Gearbox Mount all fitted, was actually easier than I expected and didn't bother taking the cage off - happy days! Would of painted it up but as you'll never see it, there really is no point!
29021620136_a7c13521bf_c.jpg
Untitled

Tonight was the night to fit the PMS Solid Top Mounts and Strut Brace - Exciting times! Although a bit daunting with drilling holes in the turrets

The famous spherical PMS top mounts vs. the old originals
28768089230_37545df903_c.jpg
Untitled

Old Front Shocks Vs. Brand New Cup Shocks
29021627556_7bfd002779_c.jpg
Untitled

New Shock all made up with PMS Bits, unfortunately I never realised new shocks never came with the rubber bits, so had to use them from my old shock (not that it will affect anything, just me and my OCD)
28433539544_84b66735c9_c.jpg
Untitled

Couple of Engine bay shots with the PMS Goodies all fitted
28949031882_12b0f58748_c.jpg
Untitled
28436683513_67bf413986_c.jpg
Untitled
Engine bay could seriously do with a good clean and a tart up, but that's the least of my worries for now!

And how it's left for tonight
29054460975_f6289719fd_c.jpg
Untitled

Plan tomorrow night is to fit the new Battery and refit my Fatty Induction Kit, Fit my Evol Dogbone Mount, and hopefully if time allows fit the Powerflex Bushes, along with my Lower Arms/Wishbones

Clio Williams
Theese top mounts are.... not good. When you hit in holechina seger broke, and china uniball go away to top. Only way is buing a high precision hard seger, and take care of uniball. Price is big, but precision unfortunely no.

Those PMS top mounts are pure p**n! What springs do you have on mate? I look forward to hearing how it rides with everything new and more solid.

Cooksport Springs, which I'd really recommend if your after a set of springs. Ideally I'd like a set of coilovers (B14's or better), but as I can't afford to go any lower because of the roads I live on, they can wait for now

Theese top mounts are.... not good. When you hit in holechina seger broke, and china uniball go away to top. Only way is buing a high precision hard seger, and take care of uniball. Price is big, but precision unfortunely no.

Your the very first person that I've heard from complaining about them, the only thing I've heard is people saying they're too harsh, but that's just the nature of the product. Everyone else just says good things about them

Time will tell how they go, but from what I've read PMS are great at sorting out any issues - so really I'm not bothered, I'm sure they'll be fine

I guess your spending from experience?

Lovely car, can I ask where the flocked dash was from? Considering one for mine. Ta.

If I'm honest Marc I can't remember the chaps name, give me until this evening and I'll go on the computer and find his details - quality is very good though.

This is going to be awesome buddy and your saving yourself a small fortune fitting it all yourself!!

"a bit daunting with drilling holes in the turrets" that made me smile as I was exactly the same only difference is I got someone else to fit mine 😂

This is going to be awesome buddy and your saving yourself a small fortune fitting it all yourself!!

"a bit daunting with drilling holes in the turrets" that made me smile as I was exactly the same only difference is I got someone else to fit mine 😂
I'm extremely lucky in the fact that I've got a place I can work on the car in the evenings, and have all the tools, as well as mates who are willing to help out should I need it! I love working on my own car, there's just something about it - whether its the learning or the satisfaction when it's done, you just can't beat it!

Tonight update isn't anything too exciting I'm afraid, but still got some stuff done never the less;

Swapped my Powerflex Dogbone Mount for a Evol Race Dogbone Mount
28455238173_57144ac134_c.jpg
Untitled

Fitted a brand new Excel battery I bought from ECP, as thought with Winter coming up it wouldn't be a bad idea
28452078034_ccdec10831_c.jpg
Untitled
In that photo you can also see my Fatty Induction Kit, which I've had on for a few months now and rate well!

Put my flocked A Pillars in, but I've decided to spray the Alarm Sensors black, which I'll fit back in over the next couple of days
28967614892_37b06c2315_c.jpg
Untitled
Steering wheel comes out funny looking in photos, but I can assure it matches very well!

Quick snap of it after being started and dropped off the axle stands
28967598452_63c7796b9a_c.jpg
Untitled

And a quick snap of it parked up outside the garage
28786671050_9f0e71abf6_c.jpg
Untitled

I've still got lots of things to fit, but I'm just missing the car and I need it for Saturday so thought I'd stop doing anymore until I've got a bit more time. So still to fit I've got the following :
Eibach Camber Bolts
Genuine Renault Bottom Arms/Wishbone
Powerflex Black Inner ARB Bushes
Powerflex Black Outer ARB Bushes
Powerflex Black Steering Rack Bushes
Genuine Renault Inner Tie Rods
Renault Track Rod Ends
OMP Rear Strut Brace (which I'm currently spraying up purple)
Front and Rear Brembo HC Discs
Brembo Pads all around (although tempted to buy some DS2500's for the front)
HEL Braided Brake Line
ATE Superblue Brake Fluid

I think that's about it, so still a fair few more bits to fit so that means more late nights working on the car!

Genuinely can't wait to drive it in to work tomorrow, will be such a nice change from the 05 Clio 1.2 I'm using at the moment lol

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I know what you mean about working on the car, it's just such a good feeling afterwards!

For fitting the inner arb bushes, I spent ages faffing with g clamps, mole grips etc and none of them worked. Ended up getting a massive leverage bar and levering the clamp up so you can put the bolt in. Worked best for me mate!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I love tinkering! Whether things go right or not, it's the 3 fun of doing it. Better if thing go right, obviously! Plus your always learning too.

Liking the regular updates James, even if there small ones. Car looks wicked in the last pic!

Also, for cheapness, the fatty kit is great. Makes a bit more room in the bay too.

What sidelight bulbs have you got?

Should of updated this earlier, but here we go...*Picture Heavy*

Gave the Clio it's first machine polish, using a DAS-6 Pro with a selection of Menzerna Pads and Polishes
das6-pro-menzerna-new.jpg

Went really well, thoroughly pleased with it. Didn't cut too aggressively as it was my first time using a DA and was playing it safe.

Full Cleaning Procedure :
Washed using Two Bucket Method
Dried
Clayed
Machine Polished
Headlights Restored
Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze
Collinite 476S Wax

Did this over the course of 2 days as I wanted to make sure everything was done properly and not rushed!

Unfortunately I didn't take hardly any photos as I was doing it in a dark garage with spot lights on, and my iPhone wouldn't take a decent photo, but here's the result:
29448984181_d7ba05384d_c.jpg
DSC_6148
29220743441_901978c158_c.jpg
DSC_6229
28677000493_d1bda7f9a3_c.jpg
DSC_6164
29219997641_99b98b29e0_c.jpg
DSC_6197