ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iTunes help please.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Right I'll admit I'm a complete hater of iTunes, can't stand the program, but occasionally need to use it.

Misses has a laptop, this has her iPhone, iPad and iPod connected to it.

She's getting a new laptop, if I do nothing to the old laptop, bin It, and then plug the iPhone, iPad and iPod into the new laptop after downloading iTunes, signing into her apple account am I about to enter a whole world of hurt?

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Depends if she purchased all her music/videos on iTunes or not. Otherwise you will have to copy all of the content across to ensure you don't lose it.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
If she has local files on her computer that are on her iphone, most likely music, you will need to dump that onto your new laptop, drop it back into iTunes and you should be laughing.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Don't think any of the music on the iPod is from iTunes, so should be ok if just copy the mp3s over?

What's all this authorise and deauthorised about?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeh just copy them over from old laptop to new.

You can deauthorise a device to not be able to use iTunes and then you will auth it on the new device.

IIRC you can only have 5 devices auth'd with one apple device.

So you might get full one time.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I wouldn't. You could cause yourself so much hassle for the sake of avoiding minimal effort. I'd assume her phone and iPad will be backed up/synced there. I'd just copy the iTunes files across to the new machine.

Cayman S Edition 1
Not sure if its of interest, but I subscribe to iMatch which puts all my music in the cloud. So anytime I log in to iTunes on my Mac or PC, it looks exactly the same. Also means any internet connected apple device will download playlists / music without ever having to physically connect that device to iTunes.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Not sure if its of interest, but I subscribe to iMatch which puts all my music in the cloud. So anytime I log in to iTunes on my Mac or PC, it looks exactly the same. Also means any internet connected apple device will download playlists / music without ever having to physically connect that device to iTunes.
I've read about this before. I already pay for bigger iCloud, can't be bothered paying for more music storage. How much does it cost you out of interest??

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Don't think any of the music on the iPod is from iTunes, so should be ok if just copy the mp3s over?

What's all this authorise and deauthorised about?
Definitely worth de-authorising before you bag the old laptop off. Hitting your 5 device limit isn't much of an issue (very easy to get around) - but for a simple click, it saves a bit of a headache.

Cayman S Edition 1
Cheaper than I thought. What space do you get?
50,000 songs from memory. It's quite handy as I just configure my playlists in iTunes which then syncs automatically to each device. Another benefit is once they're uploaded, you can delete the local copy from your Mac, pc, iPhone etc and just play straight from the cloud if you so wish.

It doesn't use space from your iCloud subscription btw.