ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is adhesion promoter the same as plastic primer?

Clive the Clio no. 2
I am looking to colour code my strips and i went to a bodyshop and they said they would apply an adhesion promoter, is this the same as normal plastic filler primer from halfords?

Punto/Clio GTT
if youre in a bodyshop then its just something you do automatically.

plastic primer is fine.

its probably confusing

at one of my old places our plastic primer (adhesion promoter) was clear, which doesnt need to be rubbed down, you just spray it on, let it soak in, then spray on your basecoat. halfords "plastic primer" from what ive seen is coloured stuff that needs to be rubbed down.

at this place im at now, we use scan seal (adhesion promoter too) which is also clear, but you can use it on metals too. its mostly used for new parts.

Clive the Clio no. 2
so if i bought the adhesion promotor, then i dont need primer? i can get plastic primer and adhesion promoter for the same price,

which one is easier and best?

Why do you have to rub down plastic primer?

Punto/Clio GTT
you dont have to rub down plastic primer if its stuff out of a normal tin (used in bodyshops), but the stuff in halfords (aerosol) needs to be rubbed down as it aint the clear stuff

are you smoothing the strips or are they just rub down and paint? are they textured?

if they am smooth and pretty much ready to paint straight onto, then id just get the scan seal (adhesion promoter). if you are gonna be looking to fill in any texture, then get the plastic primer as the clear stuff has no covering potential, its just for adhesion promotion

Clive the Clio no. 2
its the textured side strips,

ive tried to do it before, but the paint came off when someone hit it with a car door,

what can i use to make sure its on for good? so the paint wont come off?

Punto/Clio GTT
prep it well, clean it well, use adhesion promoter and plastic primer?

but tbh, you shouldnt really need both, just use one or the other