ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone car audio question

My car has a USB ipod interface. The USB controls the iPhone and charges it, but there is a 3.5mm jack for the audio input. I can't be arsed buying the proper cable if I don't need to, so I have a question;

If I use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable, plug that into the car, and use the standard iPhone USB cable to plug into the dock port, would this work? In other words, does audio come out of the headphone socket when docked/plugged in?

Danke.

172 Cup
Use the USB port. The 3.5mm jack/port will be a generic auxiliary input for other MP3 players.

Use the USB port. The 3.5mm jack/port will be a generic auxiliary input for other MP3 players.

Nope. The USB controls the iPhone, but you need to use a jack cable to actually hear the audio. There is a cable available that does both. It splits off between USB and jack.

What I'm asking is, does the headphone socket output audio when the USB control is plugged into the dock?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No. Whatever you are doing you arent doing it right.

UNLESS you are using "purchased" music in AAC format which your Head Unit may not support.

172 Cup
EDIT fails. I'm not sure.

The guys on the FRS owners club have told me this is the way it works.

EDIT: I shall try it with tracks that I know are mp3.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Then you need to convert your entire music collection to MP3 or use the 3.5 mm jack and the standard ipod
interface.

Good luck, thicko.

172 Cup
He's right Tom.

For some reason Ford decided that you need to use both connections. They use the USB input for data (Song names, track control) and the 3.5mm for audio.

s**t setup I know but Munson is actually correct. Just look at all the confused people on the Focus RS forums lol

Then you need to convert your entire music collection to MP3 or use the 3.5 mm jack and the standard ipod
interface.

Good luck, thicko.

Roffle. Ok genius. I asked about this on a Ford FRS owners club and was told I need to also connect the jack to get audio. Forgive me for believing them. I'll give the mp3 tracks a shot.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
PMSL, thats rubbish.

I know why. I guess it saves them paying fees for licensing/codecs or whatever

172 Cup
I asked about this on a Ford FRS owners club and was told I need to also connect the jack to get audio.

You do need both connected according to Ford. It's in your manual apparently. I'll give you the page number when my mate gets home.

He's right Tom.

For some reason Ford decided that you need to use both connections. They use the USB input for data (Song names, track control) and the 3.5mm for audio.

s**t setup I know but Munson is actually correct. Just look at all the confused people on the Focus RS forums lol

Basically I was trying to avoid buying this.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thats stupidly gay. Sorry.

Oh and how bad is the stereo! i couldn't believe my ears!

You do need both connected according to Ford. It's in your manual apparently. I'll give you the page number when my mate gets home.

Cheers Griff. I already knew I need both connected, hence the thread FFS. TBH I presumed the manual would just show the cable I linked to. My original question was does audio come out of the headphone socket when plugged in via USB. I guess I'll see what the manual says :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
When an acc is connected it wont play through the 3.5 mm jack.

PMSL at that cable.. For such a good/expensive car that's one s**t MP3/Audio solution.

What difference does it make? It's all hidden away inside the centre glove box. You would normally still only have to plug the iPhone in with one plug?

Anyway thanks for all the help telling me what I already knew ;)

172 Cup
What difference does it make? You would normally still only have to plug the iPhone in with one plug?

Exactly.. A single cable that comes supplied with the iPhone/iPod and doesn't mean spending extra cash on some weird cable Ford dreamt up.

All I said was it's a weird solution which looking at all the comments on various Focus forums, and all the confused owners, it blatantly is.

I agree it's a pain, but hardly the end of the word once setup. You still only plug the phone in like any other system.

That wasn't my question.

Ph2 172
I bought the cable that Tom links to for my Leon - works fine, very good in fact.

They will accept lower than the £5.99 as well! Best offer FTW!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
This is why I love the alpine setup. Bluetooth, full control from the headunit, and I can have the satnav running while playing music.

Ford aren't alone in a s**t interface though, the e90 BMW is even worse. Best I've seen is the Ferrari 16m setup.