ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 6 thread.

Circa 24hours with it; so far, it's a bigger, quicker iPhone. It picks up my email, it plays my Spotify account, the Google maps load extremely quickly in comparison to the 5S I had previously (talking about zooming of satellite images etc)... everything works basically...

- Does it bend? No. I wear suits/blazers 90% of the time, so it stays in my jacket pockets.
- Is it water proof like the "insert whatever brand here"? No. But I don't take it diving, swimming, in the bath/shower, use it on the toilet, have a tendency to be clumsy and knock drinks over it...
- Is the camera any good? Yes, for a quick snap. I'm not entering Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2015 with it. If I'm serious about the photos I'm taking, I'll have one of the dSLRs with me...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Best phone i've ever owned. Thats before half the stuff has even been updated to work with it.

As for that other BS, i genuinely couldn't deal with anything other than Apple/iOS these days and it's not snobbery. That warm feeling of support for now and yet to come is unparalleled.
Left my wallet in the car yesterday, Apple pay can't come soon enough.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Best phone i've ever owned. Thats before half the stuff has even been updated to work with it.

As for that other BS, i genuinely couldn't deal with anything other than Apple/iOS these days and it's not snobbery. That warm feeling of support for now and yet to come is unparalleled.
Left my wallet in the car yesterday, Apple pay can't come soon enough.

Do you accept your over-inflated motor insurers renewal quote each year too?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Really sorry, you'll have to run that by me again.

How does Admiral's crazy renewal quote system relate to my rather excellent phone?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member

I've read few of your posts in here and in the new phone thread and there is a clear distinction in how you talk about Apple and Android devices in your posts. Apple posts are clearly aimed at getting a rise out of someone and you can almost see the hatred coming through in your posts about them. Android posts however appear to be helpful and you can clearly see your love for them.
Why even bother posting about Apple devices is you hate them so much? Pure fanboyness if you ask me, no need for it at all.

I don't actually like it. I don't like the curved edges at all and to be honest I cant really say that its better than any other top end handset on the market these days.

Apple/Android operating systems are not really that different to be honest. I don't get all the BS about one being better than the other. Both do the same job as far as I can see and being just a standard user and swapping between the Nexus and the iPhone, I honestly cant see why either get slagged off by the fan boys of either.

In my opinion (of course), the competition and android as a whole have caught up with Apple, and all it comes down to for me, is what handset you like the most. If the 6 had been to my taste, it probably would have been my next phone, but it's not... simples!

But, the wife is happy with hers, which in turn, makes my life happy (or should that be easier).

Really sorry, you'll have to run that by me again.

How does Admiral's crazy renewal quote system relate to my rather excellent phone?

I presume what Mark is asking, Tom, is; do you just accept an iPhone each year from which ever network provider you're with. Sure you don't mind me answering from my perspective;

No. In the same way I look around in the insurance market; speak to my insurance provider/insurance broker; and speak to colleagues and friends alike.

Each year, having done the above, Vodafone and the new iPhone incarnation suit my personal needs precisely. UI, apps, operating speed, hardware and software, along with mobile coverage, the SureSignal provision, the cost and service from Vodafone all means I've yet again upgraded my 12 month contract to a new iPhone on Vodafone's second 4G contract. As have I upgraded my sister's phone, father will go on in November and mum... well, that's different as it's effectively a landline, being plugged in all day at their home!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I presume what Mark is asking, Tom, is; do you just accept an iPhone each year from which ever network provider you're with. Sure you don't mind me answering from my perspective;

No. In the same way I look around in the insurance market; speak to my insurance provider/insurance broker; and speak to colleagues and friends alike.

Each year, having done the above, Vodafone and the new iPhone incarnation suit my personal needs precisely. UI, apps, operating speed, hardware and software, along with mobile coverage, the SureSignal provision, the cost and service from Vodafone all means I've yet again upgraded my 12 month contract to a new iPhone on Vodafone's second 4G contract. As have I upgraded my sister's phone, father will go on in November and mum... well, that's different as it's effectively a landline, being plugged in all day at their home!

I bought it outright and sold the 5S separately.

But if you just consider the phone as a "renewal" then its extremely hard not to consider it.

I've used iPhones and Mac's since 2007 all of my (good) friends and family use iphones/ipads so its tough to ignore the eco system;

• Facetime and iMessage - i also use hangouts with my iPhone but crucially if i moved to another OS i couldn't do the same. These services are extremely valuable to me.
  • Customer service - i know when my phone eventually *insert scare story here* all i have to do is visit an apple store and my problem is solved
  • Airplay - very handy for me and it can't be done on another OS without some tinkering, i also use chromecasts but again as with the imessage system iOS gives me the best of both worlds
  • Car integration - if a car has ipod control it controls your iphone.
  • Itunes - i've bought loads of stuff over the years and if i moved it wouldn't be so easy to access, yet i can access all my google play content if i choose to.

And thats before we get into the phone itself, which performs better than anything else i've used on the market overall.

You could say i'm blindly updating without even considering the rest of the market. But nothing else compares or appeals.

ST
Argghhhh I don't like the case!!

Me either.. Used it twice since it came last Tuesday.

Although I've just received this beauty:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412169759.125278.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412169766.771297.jpg

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Yeah, I don't like it! really want a thin plastic one.

that looks nice on yours though, got a link for where you got it from?

Really wanna roll naked but scared i'll end up dropping it!

320d M Sport
I'm looking for a case too. Seems a shame but I really don't wanna scratch or drop this one!

Should be able to get something like a cling film which you heat shrink on, but yet still protects the sides etc.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
My 6 turns up monday. Would of been today but there's no one at home. Just ordered a Spigen Ultra Clear case for it as well.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Was really tempted to get a 6, but the battery life doesn't seem to be much improved over the 5. Had a play with a 6 plus, too big for me. If they'd sorted the battery I'd probably go back to an iPhone, despite now preferring android to ios.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
My brother mentioned last night about the battery being poorer than he hoped, but he probably doesn't help matters, closing apps etc.

DB.

BMW 440i
My brother mentioned last night about the battery being poorer than he hoped, but he probably doesn't help matters, closing apps etc.

Mine is fantastic, used it a fair bit today and still at 80%.

Could comfortably last 2 days with moderate usage.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It picks up my email

Actually... that's one point I meant to mention. The iPhone 6 seems a lot slower to pick up my emails? Or maybe that's iOS 8. My iPhone 5S on iOS 7 always picked them up before my Surface, but now it's the other way round, weird!

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Just ordered a nice clear cygnett aerogrip case! Fingers crossed I like this one.

133/225/CLS AMG
Was really tempted to get a 6, but the battery life doesn't seem to be much improved over the 5. Had a play with a 6 plus, too big for me. If they'd sorted the battery I'd probably go back to an iPhone, despite now preferring android to ios.

Battery life is significantly better on the 6 to the 5 as that's exactly the upgrade I've done.

I sit on the train for 30 minutes and sit browsing the web, Facebook, TapaTalk, send a few texts and all that. Battery life on my 5 could drop down to 70% by the time I got into the office. I would say that on the 6 I'm left with at least 80-85% after the same amount of use.

The 6 would last me all day with my standard use where as the 5 wouldn't.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Agreed, the battery is a lot better, I've been working in london since I got it and with my 5 I would always be down to about 10-20% at night, but with this it's been more like 50-80%.

Im just on the train to London now and half an hour later it's just dropped from 100-->99

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I would imagine the battery would be better on the 6 as it's bigger also. I just don't think it's maybe as good as it could have been.

It seems all the major Apple fans/bloggers/reviewers want a great battery.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed, the battery is a lot better, I've been working in london since I got it and with my 5 I would always be down to about 10-20% at night, but with this it's been more like 50-80%.

Im just on the train to London now and half an hour later it's just dropped from 100-->99

Is that how your 5 performed when it was new or after one year of usage? I thought when the 5 was released people were raving about the battery?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Very interesting test, not seen anything like this before.

Not bad for 1.3ghz dual core and 1GB ram

Last edited by a moderator:

dk

911 GTS Cab
Is that how your 5 performed when it was new or after one year of usage? I thought when the 5 was released people were raving about the battery?
Not really, I never had an issue with my 5, the battery was the same 2 years later from when I bought it.

it lasted a day, very rarely would I run out of battery, only if maybe I was working in london and then going out in London in the evening too.

No different to any other smartphone though.

And really the iPhone is designed to be charged every night, as its only when it's plugged in and on wifi does it backup to the cloud, so every night.

So even if it lasted 2 days I would still plug it in every night, like I do my iPad, which lasts days without charge.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I still can't fault my 6.

Battery once again lasted 3 days and i have now fitted my new Tech 21 D3O case.

10626715_10152382310094327_1771683770026544317_n.gif

10347648_10152382310029327_6186772446499119235_n.gif