ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 6 Plus - Bricked (Water Damage)?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
So I went to Thorpe Park with the daughter at the weekend and the last ride we went on was the Tidal Wave (Log Flume), I had my phone on me but in my Northface jacket fully zipped up, my coat got soaked but as soon as getting off the ride I removed the phone from my pocket (it wasn't at all wet and was working fine) I therefore put it back in my pocket and headed home.

Unfortunately, due to getting home in soaked clothes etc I forgot about my phone, leaving it in the wet jacket until I had a shower and got changed, fast forward to me getting the phone out of the jacket and sure enough it was off (despite having plenty of charge), I've left it alone since then to dry out but it won't turn on (I'm assuming although it wasn't wet the moisture has got to it). I've made an appointment with Apple on Sat and worse case scenario digging around seems to suggest a repair cost of circa £250.

My question is, has anyone any experience of such 'repairs' with Apple, are the likely to replace the main board or just issue a reconditioned replacement and charge me the money during the appointment? Or will they want to send the phone off for repair? I have an old Nokia 6300 knocking around which I have used before but it now refuses to accept my SIM card so I am well and truly without a phone at the moment.

The plan is to just get this repaired / replaced and then get the 7 when it comes out.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yep, tried and failed. Tried home + power, plugged into power, plugged into computer, no response whatsoever.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Don't tell them it got wet, just say when you took it out your pocket it won't turn on. Say it's been turning itself off for weeks

2007 clio dynamique
If its still the same as when I had an iPhone , they will just give you a replacement so back up all your stuff before , i seem to remember the water indicator was in the headphone port at the bottom but I may be imagining that

Sent from my Moto E using Tapatalk

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Cheers, thats what i'm hoping for, thankfully i run an iTunes server so it automatically backed itself up on Sat morning.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
They have a moisture strip in them, its located behind the battery.

If they do say anything about the moisture strip being discoloured deny it getting wet. Something along the lines of "Ive played music when in the shower a couple of times but not for a while."

You might be lucky and get an exchange for free.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
They have a number of moisture indicators in the phones.

If you're lucky, you might get away with blogging them about it getting wet. If not, they will do a replacement handset for your £250 or whatever it is now.

It's not worth the hassle of trying to find and repair water damage on site. The wet phone will go into the swap pool, sent to a repair agent and either repaired or canabalised for parts. You'll get a 'new' (former repaired phoned) from the swap pool, with either the remainder of your warranty or 30 days, whichever is greater, iirc.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Cheers @Deeg, I'll see what they say on Saturday, as mine is a 6 rather than 6S I'm assuming its well out of warranty. £256 ish I think it is, which is fine by me as a worse case scenario to have the phone again.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers @Deeg, I'll see what they say on Saturday, as mine is a 6 rather than 6S I'm assuming its well out of warranty. £256 ish I think it is, which is fine by me as a worse case scenario to have the phone again.

Having a quick google, it suggests there is only one moisture indicator on the 6. Worth googling and seeing if it's been activated. Then you'll know how likely the blag is to work.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Having a quick google, it suggests there is only one moisture indicator on the 6. Worth googling and seeing if it's been activated. Then you'll know how likely the blag is to work.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204104

Checked the Sim port as indicated above and can't see anything showing moisture damage. So I'll definitely not mention water / moisture and just say it won't turn on anymore. Like I said originally, as far as I'm concerned the phone didn't come into contact with water, it was left in a wet coat but was checked as soon as we got off the ride and was bone dry hence being put back in the coat, so can only assume moisture got to it but no actual water if that makes sense.

Last edited: