ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5S - blue screen/turning off

Any ideas on what I can do with this issue?
My wife's iPhone 5S is switching off and blue screening constantly. I've tried everything, reset to factory, restored, deleted all data/apps, downloaded IPSW files and restored that way.

Nothing works. It keeps going to a blue screen, then restarts.

I got it at launch, so it's ~15 months old?! I don't have warranty.

clio 1.2
My gf had this on her 5s, took it into apple and they said it was the graphic chip which is on a circuit board that cannot be replaced or repaired so they would let her buy one for £200 if she handed hers in! Best deal she could get to be honest and you get a 2yr warranty when you buy it from apple
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

My gf had this on her 5s, took it into apple and they said it was the graphic chip which is on a circuit board that cannot be replaced or repaired so they would let her buy one for £200 if she handed hers in! Best deal she could get to be honest and you get a 2yr warranty when you buy it from apple
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Cheers for the info.

Gutted though. I paid £200 to get it replaced at Apple last year when she dropped it and smashed the screen.

I can't believe it's only lasted this long. It's the first time I've not upgraded after 12 months.

clio 1.2
When she bought hers from apple she got 2 yrs warranty, but when u take a contract out with someone you only get 1 yr, would definatley try and find a receipt and try your luck, gotta be worth a try

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers for the info.

Gutted though. I paid £200 to get it replaced at Apple last year when she dropped it and smashed the screen.

I can't believe it's only lasted this long. It's the first time I've not upgraded after 12 months.
Right, here's what you do....

1) Look through your emails and find the date you had the handset replaced by apple at cost to you.

2) Book genius appointment. Walk into apple, be very polite. Explain the situation.

3) They'll look at the phone and come back with an answer.

4) They may at this point offer you one for free, OR they'll say its x pounds and we'll give you a new one.

5) If they say they want x pounds, it's at this point, you say "I'd like to think about it please, I paid x amount to have it replaced here just x months ago, it seems a bit excessive to have to replace it that often at that cost. Especially as it's not through damage, it's just died" Again, being very polite.

Now, at this point you've probably got a 75% chance of them replacing it.

If they still won't budge, ask to speak to a manager and explain the same thing. You're probably at about 90% chance of a free replacement now.

If the manager isn't playing ball, again, be very bloody polite, but more direct with the manager, suggest that you split the cost, as it's not your fault, but you haven't even had that handset in your possession for x months.

You'll get somewhere, trust me. To give you an idea of how well this works, I've never paid apple for a replacement. Ever. I smashed my iphone 5 to bits 1 day after release and they replaced it FOC. :eek:

Reactions: C.J
When she bought hers from apple she got 2 yrs warranty, but when u take a contract out with someone you only get 1 yr, would definatley try and find a receipt and try your luck, gotta be worth a try

Strange. I bought it from Apple SIM free (and the replacement was). I've typed the serial into their website, and it states:

Repairs and Service Coverage: Consult Place of Purchase for Consumer Law Claims
This product isn't eligible for consumer law coverage. Apple's 1-year limited warranty and benefits under AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+ are separate from rights provided by consumer law.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Strange. I bought it from Apple SIM free (and the replacement was). I've typed the serial into their website, and it states:

Repairs and Service Coverage: Consult Place of Purchase for Consumer Law Claims
This product isn't eligible for consumer law coverage. Apple's 1-year limited warranty and benefits under AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+ are separate from rights provided by consumer law.
Read my post. Act on it. Report back.

Just to check, it's not smashed to bits, right? i.e it's a good condition handset?

Read my post. Act on it. Report back.

Just to check, it's not smashed to bits, right? i.e it's a good condition handset?

Cheers for the info!

It's immaculate. I'll book myself in this week sometime.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
When you swap with Apple for £200, you're not getting a brand new handset, it's coming out of their swap pool.

These handsets are all refurbs / repairs.

So when you take yours in with a broken screen, you pay your £200, Apple send your phone to their repair partner, so repair, and put it into the warranty swap pool.

Any phones which are beyond economic repair will be stripped down for parts to replace broken parts in the swap pool.

Hence why you get a 3 month warranty rather than a 12 month warranty. Although, I believe both of those are not strictly legal within the EU, where it should be a minimum of 24 months.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
When you swap with Apple for £200, you're not getting a brand new handset, it's coming out of their swap pool.

So when you take yours in with a broken screen, you pay your £200, Apple send your phone to their repair partner, so repair, and put it into the warranty swap pool.

Any phones which are beyond economic repair will be stripped down for parts to replace broken parts in the swap pool.

Hence why you get a 3 month warranty rather than a 12 month warranty. Although, I believe both of those are not strictly legal within the EU, where it should be a minimum of 24 months.
Quite true, unless you replace a handset within only a couple of weeks of release, when you just get a lovely new one.

But the 3 month warranty only applies if you have less than that left on your standard 12 months, it's whichever is longer.

As said though, if you go to apple and politely demonstrate that the phone has failed for no good reason, and that you don't expect this from such an expensive product, and you have no faith in the brand, they'll give you a new one!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Quite true, unless you replace a handset within only a couple of weeks of release, when you just get a lovely new one.

But the 3 month warranty only applies if you have less than that left on your standard 12 months, it's whichever is longer.

As said though, if you go to apple and politely demonstrate that the phone has failed for no good reason, and that you don't expect this from such an expensive product, and you have no faith in the brand, they'll give you a new one!

They'll give you a refurb.

Pedantic point I know.

Had an appointment yesterday in Leeds.

They plugged it in and said an Apple app was causing the crashes (not a 3rd party app or hardware) but couldn't tell me what app it was. So he wiped it again, did a fresh install, downloaded iCloud etc, and all was fine...

...until today :(

I've spoken to Apple tech over the phone, but they won't replace it FOC, regardless of what I say.

A real shame. But nothing I can do it seems.

I've reset it a dozen times now, fresh installs, restores from backup, with iCloud, without iCloud, no apps, with apps etc.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Had an appointment yesterday in Leeds.

They plugged it in and said an Apple app was causing the crashes (not a 3rd party app or hardware) but couldn't tell me what app it was. So he wiped it again, did a fresh install, downloaded iCloud etc, and all was fine...

...until today :(

I've spoken to Apple tech over the phone, but they won't replace it FOC, regardless of what I say.

A real shame. But nothing I can do it seems.

I've reset it a dozen times now, fresh installs, restores from backup, with iCloud, without iCloud, no apps, with apps etc.

I'd book another genius and protest.

I'm there tomorrow to hopefully have a refurb'd handset replaced for a broken microphone.

Clio 172

Really? That's what I always thought:

When my missus had hers replaced in that way, the manager was adamant they gave you a brand new phone, and it came with its own 12 month warranty.

He was probably lying to shut me up tho.

My 5s warranty ran out a few months ago (I got it a month after it was released). A week after, the fingerprint thingy stopped working. Spoke to them, they was adamant it would be a new phone jobby at cost to me. Since then, the sensor at the top has stopped working and now the digitiser is loose from the screen! What chances have I got of replacement? Lol

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Really? That's what I always thought:

When my missus had hers replaced in that way, the manager was adamant they gave you a brand new phone, and it came with its own 12 month warranty.

He was probably lying to shut me up tho.

My 5s warranty ran out a few months ago (I got it a month after it was released). A week after, the fingerprint thingy stopped working. Spoke to them, they was adamant it would be a new phone jobby at cost to me. Since then, the sensor at the top has stopped working and now the digitiser is loose from the screen! What chances have I got of replacement? Lol

If they told you it came with a 12 month warranty (and it actually did), then it was likely a brand new handset, as the swaps come with either 3 months, or until the end of your existing warranty, whichever is greater.

As @Rob said, the only time you're likely to get a brand new handset is if the problem is close to purchase date.

What you get told seems to depend very much on the Genius you speak to.

Was it Apple you dealt with?

As for your phone, I'm a bit baffled they didn't swap it the first time, but I think your chances of getting it swapped outside of the 12 months are slim.

Five months on, and this phone is still doing it.

I've swapped phones with my wife, as I don't want her having it.

It's been non stop rebooting for the last 6 hours, but usually does it 20-30 times a day only.

c3bd430959cbacccec215bc5ff30ff64.jpg

cbec2f4e467b83a5f6854a46499dab86.jpg

9070a8c08116d50e07afe9d4dbceb495.jpg

I've tried factory resets, new SIMs, old restores, no apps etc. it fails every day.

Any ideas? Battery? I'm holding off buying a new phone until September if I can.

Last edited:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
C.J mate i'd buy a decent conditioned iPhone 4 to contend with until Sept than put up with this!

Apple have been great with me but you're not having as much luck buddy!