ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad 4 - Cracked screen

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Hi the missus broke her iPad the other day, s**t bit of luck... just opened the cupboard door and a tin fell out and landed straight on it :( it's pretty fucked.

The options:
  • Apple repair - £236.44 (get your random pricing out)
  • Buy another one second hand - £200ish?
  • DIY repair - £10 for a screen from eBay but are they any good? My boss got one for this iPhone and it's not great... plus it's probably a mission
  • Third party repair - Companies only doing it for £50ish, again are they going to be any good?
  • Using the home insurance - Got a feeling our excess is about £300
Any recommendations? She'd love a brand new one but we're pretty close to applying for a mortgage atm so need to keep other costs down.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I did DIY the other week on my iPad mini, if the glass is smashed it's a complete f**king pain in the glarse.

I wouldn't do another, I'd go with the 50 quid option if it's recertified original Apple parts as opposed to cheap Chinese fakery.

Some areas of the screen I have now, require a good press to register.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Two more things to add to the mix... finance with Apple starts @ £15 p/m which isn't too bad for an iPad Air.

Also, she could still get around £50-60 her hers on eBay.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Can't you just buy another one on a 0% credit card rather than Apple finance?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Maybe... but neither of us have one lol.

For now we're seriously cutting down on everything for this mortgage so she's going to whack on a screen protector instead :tongueout:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Local repair shop? The guys I've seen seem to use half decent screens and they know what they're doing in a lot of cases. Worth a go?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Only reason I'm put off something like that is my mate took his iPhone 5S to one of these repair shops in London with a failed power button. They fixed it and all was happy days... for a little while. The following week it was dead again and so were the volume buttons and it wouldn't vibrate anymore! He took it back and they opened it up and said some connector inside had snapped or something. They said they only provided guarantee on the part they actually changed and wouldn't do anything about it. w*****s.