ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IOS 8

SQ5
What I hate about iOS8 is when you open a page in Safari and then leave it to look at another. It seems that the data is lost from the first page you opened, and you need to DL it again to see it. This really fcuks me off when i'm underground on the subway and theres no signal. Boy do I really hate it....as much as I do Robin Thicke !!!

I've found iOS 8 to be a lot better for that compared to 7.

When browsing 9gag it was annoying as f**k going right back to the top!

That's been happening for years in iOS. It's a RAM limitation as I understand it. Very often it will need to unload Safari webpage data if it needs the memory elsewhere, resulting in the tab/page being forced to reload the data when you want to view it again. I'm unsure if iPad Air 2 is better in this regard.

SQ5
What do you mean by this? I'm using iOS 8 Safari right now, and I can see the current time displayed in the top centre. Sorry if I've misunderstood your post.

iPhone Safari, landscape mode. No time at the top even when pulling down to see address bar.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It's not just in Safari, happens in Messages too... it's strange, make the screen size bigger, and display less! Still the most annoying thing for me is if you're in landscape then go into another app and then return to your original app, it's now in portrait :angry: meaning you have to manually spin the phone in your hands to get it back each time!

Never had this with any previous version of iOS.

Oh right. Sorry. Not noticed that, as I very rarely use my iPhone for Internet browsing. I was thinking iPad.

I do personally feel that iOS is becoming a bit...well...complex. So many bugs are making it into production code. The same is true of OSX. There is a substantial amount of stuff in both operating systems that either doesn't work, or doesn't work properly. It's a cliched complaint, but "it just works" really doesn't seem very fitting these days. But then the alternatives are a hundred times worse IMO, so f**k it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Oh right. Sorry. Not noticed that, as I very rarely use my iPhone for Internet browsing. I was thinking iPad.

I do personally feel that iOS is becoming a bit...well...complex. So many bugs are making it into production code. The same is true of OSX. There is a substantial amount of stuff in both operating systems that either doesn't work, or doesn't work properly. It's a cliched complaint, but "it just works" really doesn't seem very fitting these days. But then the alternatives are a hundred times worse IMO, so f**k it.
Agreed.

They're trying to produce something far more complex within the same time frame and I think it's really showing.

Just yesterday safari actually crashed my entire phone. Just browsing CS. I can't remember this ever happening on any other of my devices. The production code feels a lot more like a beta now, where as previously the release day software was so polished it was unreal. It's a shame really, as for me, part of the joy of the products is having something that does everything you want and just works.

Here's a query for you guys:

What usually causes iPhones to crash whilst browsing Safari?

I get it occasionally on my 5S and had it on my 4S previously. I've become used to it. You'll be flicking through a thread on a forum or a web page and suddenly it will throw you out. When you reopen Safari the tab you were on is blank.

Is it apple telling me I should install 8?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I had Safari issues under 8.1 and found CS crashed everytime I wrote "I'll" in the quick reply. It hasn't done this since 8.1.1 I'm happy to say.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Anyone got 8.3 yet? Love the fact you can now turn 3G and 4G off, apparently can use it to make calls over wifi to, but not seen anything on my phone yet, iPhone 5C on EE.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Anyone got 8.3 yet? Love the fact you can now turn 3G and 4G off, apparently can use it to make calls over wifi to, but not seen anything on my phone yet, iPhone 5C on EE.
Not yet.

At current I have a consistent issue with access camera from the lock menu. Flick it up and it just doesn't work, then go to unlock it and see what the problem is, the camera appears for a second then it unlocks as usual and the camera f***s off. Hugely annoying!

Although last night I used airdrop for the first time, massively impressed.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just figured out the wifi call thing, will try it later at my rents where signal is virtually none.

SQ5
Instructions for wificall

1. Check your phone has the latest software version

Go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone 5c, 5s, 6 or 6 Plus. If you already have the latest version of iOS installed it will tell you. If not, choose the Download and Install option. Make sure your phone is connected to WiFi and a power source, and tap to download the update. You may have to enter your passcode before installing. You will also need to update the Carrier Version. Go to Settings > General > About which will trigger the update. Complete this step after the 8.3 Upgrade. You should see 19.1 as the Carrier file.

2. Connect your phone to WiFi

Tap Settings > Wi-Fi on your iPhone. When WiFi is enabled, your phone will search for available WiFi networks. Tap the name of the network you want, enter the password and choose to join. Once you’re connected, you’ll see the WiFi logo appear in the status bar at the top left of your display.

3. Switch WiFi Calling on

Tap Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calls on your iPhone. Turn the Allow Wi-Fi Calls setting on. If you’re connected to WiFi, you’ll see WiFi Call at the top of your screen – and you’re ready to call and text over WiFi. It can take up to 24 hours to activate, but you will receive a text message when you are ready to go.

A couple of things to know before you get started
To begin with there are a couple of things which might make your call experience over WiFi Calling slightly unusual. Firstly, you’ll hear the international dialing tone when both parties are using WiFi Calling. And secondly, when a call is put on hold, the person on hold won’t hear the hold beeps. There will just be silence. We’re working to resolve these quirks, but it shouldn’t affect the quality of your service.

There may also be times when you’re using WiFi Calling when Visual Voicemail and picture messaging won’t work properly. You’ll still be prompted you have voicemail, and be able to access it in the standard way.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Doesn't everyone just have infinite free calls now? I have done for years and only pay £27 p/m for my contract.

8.3 has finally fixed the rotation problem though! Only took 7 months :confused:

SQ5
Doesn't everyone just have infinite free calls now? I have done for years and only pay £27 p/m for my contract.

8.3 has finally fixed the rotation problem though! Only took 7 months :confused:

It's all well and good having unlimited minutes, but if you don't have signal you can't use them ;)

An orange one
I've noticed recently that my 5S battery life has become shockingly bad.. From 6am with moderate usage it's down to 60% by 9am and has turned itsself off by 3-4pm. It was never usually like this,

Quite often now the battery life indicator plays up too so I can be outside using the camera with say 45% battery left and take a couple of pics and the phone turns itself off battery dead, won't turn back on. So I plug it in to charge and it comes back on at 45% again.

I'm still on ios7 is this apple forcing me into updating... ?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
indicator plays up too so I can be outside using the camera with say 45% battery left and take a couple of pics and the phone turns itself off battery dead, won't turn back on. So I plug it in to charge and it comes back on at 45% again.

I get this all the time. Annoying as s**t. I'm still on 7 however.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've noticed recently that my 5S battery life has become shockingly bad.. From 6am with moderate usage it's down to 60% by 9am and has turned itsself off by 3-4pm. It was never usually like this,

Quite often now the battery life indicator plays up too so I can be outside using the camera with say 45% battery left and take a couple of pics and the phone turns itself off battery dead, won't turn back on. So I plug it in to charge and it comes back on at 45% again.

I'm still on ios7 is this apple forcing me into updating... ?

My battery seems to have been dreadful of late too. Maybe I'm using it more, but not that I've noticed.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
No mate, I'm on 8. I assumed it was because my phone is always on/off charge. I plug it in in the car, then unplug it for a bit, then back in again etec.
Pretty sure that ruins batteries?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Don't get what's so hard to understand? It lets you use wifi to make normal calls and texts.

I had the phone randomly turning on/off at 30-35% or so on my 5. I couldn't find a way to fix it so I just bought a £7 kit from eBay and replaced the battery myself, worked a treat then.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It's all well and good having unlimited minutes, but if you don't have signal you can't use them :wink:

Good point! I spend half my life at work in concrete bunkers without signal... they've recently installed routers in them, but we're not allowed on them for some reason. Might have a case to fight here :)

Cupra
Is anybody running 8.3 on an iPad 2? Mine is still on iOS7 after all the reports of performance issues with the first release of iOS8 and was just curious if that had since been improved.