ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring a track car as 2nd car?

MR2 Mk1.5
Yeah been reading about that - it seems to be door bars higher than dash, unpadded cages and bucket seats that wrap around stopping you from looking to the side.
It's about time really. Obviously one death/serious personal injury too much.

I agree - when I was there last time there was a time attack astra using the tourist day as a shakedown

I just hope it doesn't spill over to cars like mine that are specced for occasional track days.
It's going to be difficult for them to stop the pro race cars using it as testing time and killing people - and not stopping people with their occasional track day cars who are on holiday and just want the experience :(

MR2 Mk1.5
It's a dangerous place but like is obviously appeal to even a part-time petrolhead. We've had a £multi-million claim from the ring and our guy didn't even crash! It also lost us one of our schemes unfortunately.

172, Tiguan
I suspect it'll all start kicking in over Easter, but I also suspect that if you find a quiet weekday when not a lot is happening you'll be fine.

Also applies to removable steering wheels. The cage thing is a grey area again, but it seems all cars with door x bars will be banned. My Clio fails on pretty much everything they've brought in. lol.

172, Tiguan
It's about time really. Obviously one death/serious personal injury too much.

There's a couple of ways to look at it really. If you have a crash there then i'd rather be strapped in a 6 point harness, in a seat with head protection and a weld in cage, than one without all of that.

The rules are trying to stop the VLN guys testing on a Friday TF session rather than the Brit going over in his trackday car really, so I agree that it probably needed to be implemented. As with anything at the NS though, not everything announced gets brought into reality.

This is the argument I nearly had on the bridgetogantry discussion. People saying it's long overdue as race cars shouldn't be allowed on TF days - which I agree with as they hoon around like it's a proper race.

But I think it's unfair to penalise everyone with a "track prepped" car who just wants the experience while on a holiday with mates. Having a roll cage in your car doesn't mean that you're going to race everyone an inch from their bumpers any more than having a kitchen knife means your going to stab someone. A lot of the germans don't accept that though and say if you have a cage then you've fitted it because you want to drive in a race style.

MR2 Mk1.5
There's a couple of ways to look at it really. If you have a crash there then i'd rather be strapped in a 6 point harness, in a seat with head protection and a weld in cage, than one without all of that.

A proper safety prepared car yes, your average 'ring prepared car from the UK with an ebay bolt in cage, not so much.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Djw Dave pointed me towards this thread, ill be in touch in the next few weeks, policy runs out either at the start of feb or march, ill defo be running a quote with you.

Ford Mustang 5.0
Djw Dave pointed me towards this thread, ill be in touch in the next few weeks, policy runs out either at the start of feb or march, ill defo be running a quote with you.

Excellent mate sounds great. If you wanted to PM me your contact number when you are ready for a quote i can run the price through for you personbally.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight Insurance
01277 376000

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Insured my clio with these today and it was cheaper than I was paying RIES last year on which I had to use all my no claims bonus.
Cheers :D

greenlight sorted a great price on my "track day" clio. made all the difference deciding having/not having a second car with 0 ncb (they mirrored the ncb on my daily)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Neil do you cover UK MX5's with half cage etc as well on the above track car biased policy?

Ford Mustang 5.0
Neil do you cover UK MX5's with half cage etc as well on the above track car biased policy?

Yes mate definately....I actually have an MX5 myself (well its a Eunos). The half cage wont be a problem either.

If you wanted to drop me a PM with your contact details id happily call you personally to run the quote, we chat about all things MX5.

Love the Avtar picture by the way!

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight
01277 376000