ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Indicators not working

I've had a look under my offside front wheel arch and there is (was) a black wire cable running through the wheel arch which I can see has started to tear apart. Would this cause my indicators to not work (no tick or lights). I have checked the fuse and they are still ok. Any help would be appreciated.

Spoke to a few people and one person has suggested it could be the fuse relay. However I don't know which one it is or how to test these. Can anybody shed any light? Thanks

Just had a look and they are all in place, had a fiddle and they are all nice and tight. How do you check if they have 'blown' if that is what they do? And do you know which one is the indicator light relay or which one affects the indicators???

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
The indicators have a fuse in the interior fuse box, have you checked it?

Looks like the auto electricians it is then. :( More money to someone else. Bloody french cars

To be honest i've not checked them when i've had the indicators on. Surely if they're 'knackered' they wouldn't make a noise or anything?

Ok so i've been to the auto-electrician and he has said that is it something to do with a UCH? I've been to renault and booked it in for a diagnostics check but from what i've researched, I may need a new UCH? Expensive? All this just because my indicators have decided to stop working!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Just set up a basic switch/relay system to make the bulb flash. should be do-able completely separate from the UCH.

Hm there is no way I could do this myself. Wonder if there is anyone out there that would do this? Do you think if I asked an auto-electrician they would?

You don't happen to know if it is one of these that controls the indicators currently do you? If so surely that could have just 'gone'??? Thanks though

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Believe the UCH is a lighting control module type of thing which doesn't rely on relays, although I'm not entirely sure.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I think the best way to resolve this is a call to Mick@Diamond Motors. He is a genious with renault electrical stuff.

I think the best way to resolve this is a call to Mick@Diamond Motors. He is a genious with renault electrical stuff.

I've already pm'd this guy. I've told him I would be in touch again once renault have diagnosed the problem. I really hope this doesn't cost me loads!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The UCH is a multifunction unit. It's a microprocessor controlled logic box filled with numerous micro-relays that turn on/off all the things you take for granted such as electric windows (up/down)' central locking (lock/unlock), lighting (side, dipped, main beams, indicators and hazard warning), security and access as well as it being the main multiplexing hub for the various controllers on the cars Canbus network (ECM, ABS/ESP, SRS, HVAC, EPAS, XENON)

Yes you could wire a so called simple circuit but it's not as simple as you'd think especially if you want it to look OE.

Personally, I'd say if it needs a new UCH that you have it replaced. You need to find out why yours has gone though... Age is becoming common now for failures but so is water ingress and if it's water damage, failure to fix the issue, will result in money wasted and the new parts warranty being voided.

Mick

Well I certainly have learnt something new with all that! Where is the UCH? Is there a common reason why water leaks in or where from?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Passenger side footwell area to the side of the glovebox. Water can ingress for many reasons; poorly replaced windscreen, blocked drain points, modifications to wiring loom grommets, etc

If this is the cause rather than age then you must find it and fix the issue first.

I like the UCH's though, so much so my R19 is running one to control all the basics i need and give it a good diagnostics capability to.

Mick

Oh ok. I've got no idea how to find the source of a leak that may not even be there! I guess I can try to find the drainage points and see if they're blocked and then wait to see what the diagnostic test comes up with. Thanks for the advice Mick.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Opening the UCH up and looking for faults will give you a better understanding of what has caused it to fail.

Age/component failure normally displays no signs of failure but water will leave a ring mark and you may Ben see signs of burnt out tracks on the PCB.

Go from there but it's easy stuff really.

Mick

Ok thanks very much. Really hope I don't need a new UCH as they are quite pricey are they not?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Last one I did was around £300. Not great but not terrible either. Be thankful you've not got a Megane II needing a steering lock module!

Mick

£300 isn't too bad actually. Ok well i'll check what you've been saying and wait for this diagnostic test to be done on Thursday at Renault. Thanks again.

Quick question. There is a cable running just behind the arch lining on the drivers side front wheel. I know that's a bit vague but has anyone got any idea what it is for as it is pretty badly worn, as in you can see the actual metal cable as the plastic has been worn though (too low when I first put my coilovers on).

I only ask this because the indicators stopped working not long after this cable was damaged.

Last edited: