ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iMac Screen Fault!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Ok, my iMac has just developed a problem (literally 10 minutes ago).

Looks like screen burn to me but this can't be possible as the screen was only left for 1 - 2 hours max.

And yes screen saver is switched to on - I find it unreliable as it doesn't always kick in!!!

Image is prominent when background is grey, other than that it's difficult to see.

I've ran a couple of minutes worth of image retention remover and it doesn't seem to be shifting.

adujy7uj.jpg

Before anyone asks, I'm familiar with image retention and screen burn after owning a plasma tv for the last 5 years.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Right, I managed to get rid of it by running the image retention remover for another 10 minutes.

Bag of s**t.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Right, I managed to get rid of it by running the image retention remover for another 10 minutes.

Bag of s**t.

I've had to leave one running for about 2 hours once.

It isn't/wasn't recommended as it can potentially burn out pixels but it was either that or bin the monitor.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I've had to leave one running for about 2 hours once.

It isn't/wasn't recommended as it can potentially burn out pixels but it was either that or bin the monitor.

Yeah!

I've had this iMac for 11 months now and never had a problem then all of a sudden, boom!

If I'd sat there with a static image for 24 hours then fair play but that's not the case.

I'll keep my eye on the problem and fortunately I have apple care but from what I've read on the interweb, it's unlikely the "retention" issue will go away. I'm also unsure what kind of card apple will play...

"Sorry sir, you're not covered as we're of the opinion that the screen was left on with a static image of a muff for 24 hours plus while you competed in a world championship wankathon!"

I want to avoid a repair if possible just in case apple trash/scratch/ruin something else.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
"Sorry sir, you're not covered as we're of the opinion that the screen was left on with a static image of a muff for 24 hours plus while you competed in a world championship w**kathon!"

They caught me out as well and somehow knew that's exactly what I wa... wait!

Have to give them their credit, they are by far the best at customer service I've ever witnessed.

I have had 2 brand new handsets from them in store - 1 because my iPhone battery wasn't all that great and 2 because the home button was a bit stiff! (From when I was trying to set my record)

No questions asked.

ST
They caught me out as well and somehow knew that's exactly what I wa... wait!

Have to give them their credit, they are by far the best at customer service I've ever witnessed.

I have had 2 brand new handsets from them in store - 1 because my iPhone battery wasn't all that great and 2 because the home button was a bit stiff! (From when I was trying to set my record)

No questions asked.

Indeed, i had my iPhone replaced on thurs last wk as the battery was humped, granted the original 5, i've had since 1st Oct 12' was replaced in Nov 13' for having a black dot in any pictures i took with rear camera.

The replacement i was given last Nov was dropping 5% -10% in a matter of mins with no use at all, i'd had the handset in with them in Jul and they said take away and restore it and come back in if the problem persists, so booked it in, the Genius spoke to his manager, explained i was in, in Jul - new handset given, the receipt states it would've been 209£ as it was out of warranty, but i didn't pay anything towards it.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Indeed, i had my iPhone replaced on thurs last wk as the battery was humped, granted the original 5, i've had since 1st Oct 12' was replaced in Nov 13' for having a black dot in any pictures i took with rear camera.

The replacement i was given last Nov was dropping 5% -10% in a matter of mins with no use at all, i'd had the handset in with them in Jul and they said take away and restore it and come back in if the problem persists, so booked it in, the Genius spoke to his manager, explained i was in, in Jul - new handset given, the receipt states it would've been 209£ as it was out of warranty, but i didn't pay anything towards it.

They're incredibly good to their customers Alan!

Although slightly out of order, my bosses wife dropped her phone and obviously cracked the screen. She went back and said that the case she had bought (which was official Apple) was too tight when she put it on, it had put pressure on the screen causing it to shatter. Did they question it? Nope. New handset!

Barring my actual like for their product, it would certainly keep me as one of their customers as it's rare you find a company nowadays that aren't money hungry and will pull your pants down at any given opportunity.

Even their repair prices if they do charge are very reasonable.

ST
They're incredibly good to their customers Alan!

Although slightly out of order, my bosses wife dropped her phone and obviously cracked the screen. She went back and said that the case she had bought (which was official Apple) was too tight when she put it on, it had put pressure on the screen causing it to shatter. Did they question it? Nope. New handset!

Barring my actual like for their product, it would certainly keep me as one of their customers as it's rare you find a company nowadays that aren't money hungry and will pull your pants down at any given opportunity.

Even their repair prices if they do charge are very reasonable.

Yeah since I've had literally every handset bar the 5s, it certainly made me reconsider changing my personal phone to the new galaxy s5.

I've had impeccable service towards my iMac and my MacBook Pro before too, as you say they don't try and shaft you, and they'll do their best to make sure you leave the store happy.

Unfortunately, image retention isn't uncommon with some IPS panels, which I presume the iMac uses?

I get the same with my late 2012 Retina Macbook Pro.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Unfortunately, image retention isn't uncommon with some IPS panels, which I presume the iMac uses?

I get the same with my late 2012 Retina Macbook Pro.

Yeah.

It's the first time I've ever seen it and I've never seen anything that bad before.

Fortunately it soon went, thankfully.

I've got apple care so should anything go wrong I'm hoping I'm covered.

It's an awesome machine though, worth every penny.

FF Clio 182
An issue I had after buying a 1st Gen Retina macbook was image retention. Apple issued a statement about the problem and replaced the screen free of charge. Another problem with ghosting of the screen. The Genius told me it was something to do with the first batch of screens they received from LG. Apple replaced the screen on my Macbook 3 times in the first year due to issues (Image retention, Faulty inverter and Dead pixel), I suppose that is what you get for buying a 1st Gen.