ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iMac or Mac Pro?

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm debating getting a Mac to replace my worn out PC, mainly for photography use etc.....not much (if any) gaming.

I'm torn between choosing a 27" iMac or a Mac Pro.

If I got an iMac, it would be the i7 processor. I would upgrade the other parts myself as it's cheaper.

If I got a Mac Pro, it would be the bog standard one, and again I would upgrade the RAM myself, and install the HDDs out of my PC.

Now at those specs, they are about the same price.....hence my dilemma.

I'll list the pros and cons:

iMac:

Pros:

- All in one system - neat, great design etc
- Has a display - so I can use the 27" display AND my Dell 24" monitor too (so two displays)
- Just been refreshed, so latest gadgets

Cons:

- I would need an SSD and HDD. I already have an SSD in my PC so I would use that, and install a 2TB HDD. But that would involve ripping the iMac apart, which from what I've read, is a nightmare!!
- errrr....can't think of another con!

The main appeal of the Mac Pro is the upgradability, I could easily put my HDDS and new RAM in. Whereas the iMac is realistically not upgradeable - unless you can send it to an Apple authorised person who can do it.

The bottom line is......if I can get a 27" iMac with an SSD and large HDD (both of which I already have), upgrade the RAM myself.....then that would be amazing.

Thoughts?!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Surely the question to you is .. do you want to use it more than 2ft away from your desk ? If the answer is yes, then MBP it is ! If no, iMac FTW.

Helpful, I aren't.

:coffee:

Good luck !

You can do the HD/RAM yourself. The processor, you're going to get the best anyway.

You'll want to replace it with an iMac i92 running Simba long before it gets slow.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
27" iMacs are for people who are winning at life.

I R inadequate.

lol very true ;)

I think an iMac would suit be best, it's not like I'm editing Pixar movies!

But I would be s**t scared of ripping it apart, which I would HAVE to do. I cannot live without an SSD now I'm used to them, and I'm not forking out £400 for Apple's s**t SSDs!

Right.......pretty sure I'm settling on an iMac.

Now, can someone clearly explain how I could benefit from the student discount system when buying one online? (it would have to be online as I would be getting a BTO iMac)

Does it include AppleCare, and how does it go in my name if you (the student) is 'buying it'? (although I am)

So could I buy an iMac now (theoretically speaking) from that link you posted at the discounted price?

I presume I would have to provide some evidence?

^ are you sure about the apple care as it only gives you phone care for 1 year, and the £45 buys an extra 2 years phone support?

applecare-coverage080826-hed.gif

OMG! Just found out my sister has a valid student card! You would think I should know that, but we don't speak much.....b**ch.

So I may order online and show them that IF they ask for any proof.

The main thing holding me back is I hear Apple do great offers around June/July time, going back to school deals.......like free ipods/printers. Not sure if I could wait that long :(

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Wait until July and its a double whammy.

Free ipod and Lion. Should save you about £200!

If you pay to upgrade to Lion, does that count for every Mac you own?

I ask because I will undoubtedly upgrade my MBP, so if I can do my iMac too, then it's not worth the wait.....if you see what I mean lol

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If you buy the multi licence pack it does, but it costs more than the single licence pack.

(Although since previous versions have not had any sort of activation most people buy a single licence pack for multiple macs, naughty but possible)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Snow leopard was a tiny update, Lion will be a big one, I'd expect a single licence to be around £100. No idea on the family pack.

*Gulp*.....ordered it!

Configuration
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad

I have already ordered another 8GB RAM from crucial, and a 2TB HDD which I'll stick in along with an SSD. Not sure if I'll use my one I have in my PC or get a new one. As the iMac is SATA-III, I may well end up getting a new one. That way I can keep my Windows PC if I need it.

EDIT: Oh.....and that was via the student discount site. I'll wait to see if they run a check on me, but I have my sisters credentials to give if they do.