ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iMac 5k RAM Upgrade

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking at buying a 27" iMac in the summer (freelance graphic designer) which comes with 2x4GB RAM from the factory. The 16GB upgrade is an extra £160 when building on the Apple site. There is a total of 4 slots supporting 32GB, could I buy 2x8GB sticks from Crucial (£65) and add these in the two empty slots so there would be 24GB? I wasn't sure if the sticks all needed to be the same size.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear. I could buy 32GB for the price that Apple want for just 16GB. It seems simple enough to swap out too.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Do they let you do this with the newer models? Don't they stop you doing that to the new macbooks so you have to but the memory from Apple? That's what I read when looking to spec a macbook pro earlier this year.
Hopefully it'll not be the case the the iMac but could be worth checking.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Do they let you do this with the newer models? Don't they stop you doing that to the new macbooks so you have to but the memory from Apple? That's what I read when looking to spec a macbook pro earlier this year.
Hopefully it'll not be the case the the iMac but could be worth checking.

On the latest 5K iMac you can upgrade the RAM yourself. I did it back when I got our 2011 model and it looks just as easy to do it to the new ones.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I just wanted to make sure I could mix the RAM sticks (as long as they're paired up).