ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

I've no proper details yet Danny as I've not worked with BPM since the 6hr in 2009 but from what I have head it's bad, very bad and I am absolutely totally gutted for them. The lads worked so hard and carried on a great team from when I left to found Track-Group. It's not just the race cars either a lot of lads personal projects/cars were in there. Just absolutely s**t all round :(

ITB'd MK1
I went to Germany with Jim and Chris in May, and I've known Dave for years. Jim was meant to be taking his car over this year.....:(

Last edited:
  BMW Z4
The black GRP dash section the X85 runs? It's LHD for a start and attaches to the roll cage in the X85. It's also really expensive for what it is (circa 450 quid if memory serves).

If you want one doing our carbon shop can knock you something up in GRP for not too much more and it'd be RHD as well ;)

Sounds good. We can chat about that and other bits and bobs when I pop over to see you.

Best
Mark.

BMW Z4
You get a National B by doing a one day ARDS test, and completing (nb: not starting) six races to the satisfaction of the clerk of the course whereby you can remove your novice cross. I don't think you're allowed to do the 24hr as a Novice. Best to call up and check. One of those six races can be substituted by spending a day as a marshal.

Thats a big AH then and a hurdle all at the same time.

The black GRP dash section the X85 runs? It's LHD for a start and attaches to the roll cage in the X85. It's also really expensive for what it is (circa 450 quid if memory serves).

If you want one doing our carbon shop can knock you something up in GRP for not too much more and it'd be RHD as well ;)

Didnt know you had a carbon shop Matt! Are they happy to do low volume, one off bits?

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Should aim for next years Nurburgring 24hour event you need your licence and 12 signatures for completing 12 race events AFAIK

BMW Z4
Update

Hi Guys

Lots has happened since my last update and I left my camera in the Uk so only have these pics today till I fly back on 4th feb. I will do a better update then :)

Im guessing this s**t needs to come out :)

aircon.jpg

That's much better

airconout.jpg

What about losing the dash too while we are at it.

dash.jpg

Cooking with gas

dashout.jpg

A very dirty subframe

subframe.jpg

And all this off to the powder coaters along with the subframe

powdercoaters.jpg

I am glad matt is helping me with the wiring now (amongst other things)

wiring.jpg

The car is now completely stripped inside and out. The axle is off and all brakes etc with everything at various stages of blasting and powder coating. Once I have those bits back I can start building up the bottom with axle back on and new brakes and suspension. Then it's roll cage welded in and plastic windows in etc.

I will post more and better pics once I have my camera back. Got lots of nice goodies waiting to go on and then be photographed not least my new Sadev steering wheel with a nice blue suede top mmm.

The project has also taken some turns already after lengthy chats with Matt (top bloke) Now aiming for a track day in March possibly Cadwell and a first TDT race in June or July once I know their calender for this year.

Mark.

PS
I can't believe how much s**t has come out of such a small space LOL

Last edited:
  BMW Z4
Yes sure am the box of bits was taken to my mates press first to lose the old ones before powder coating :) Going to add a Whiteline at the rear too. Front hubs are being blasted and then adding new upper and lower ball joints and new bearings both sides. Might aswell replace everything whilst it's off eh.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Oh right good, I dont know if you know but you will have to tac weld the new metal sleves from the polybush kit to the wishbones. So you might want to get that done first then get the wishbones powdercoated, that way they will last longer :)

BMW Z4
Yes I saw that but why do you have to tack them in? Not like they are going anywhere once it's bolted up tight.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Will you let us know when the races you are competing in are please, I would love to come along and watch, can help out on the day if you need? I am pretty good at making tea and coffee :approve:

ITB'd MK1
Yes I saw that but why do you have to tack them in? Not like they are going anywhere once it's bolted up tight.

They're not a tight fit in the same way as the standard bush. They will move very easily giving the polybush nothing to locate in, and the metal sleeve will gradually cut into the subframe

BMW Z4
You HAVE to tack them in, if not the bush gets foooked for some reason. 100% have to tack them in mate.

Tackage coming on then. Matt will help me get as near as damn it to the class B limit of 175bhp at the wheels/ton Matt reckons we should do the Dubai 24hour

They help with shipping the car
I lived there
It's warmer :)
Track is awesome
There is a beach
A Spa
It's warmer
It dont rain
No wind
Sexy pit girls
Loads of money floating around hence sexy pit girls

Hmmm tempted, must do some track day trophy first though to cut our teeth with the car.

PS
Yes will let you all know when I take it to a tarck day or a race.

Lotus Elise
Dubai for the win.

The track time is a bargin and the shipping isn't that much either. Its the same price for us to do a test day at snetterton as it is to do a test weekend in Dubai when you take into account all the travel costs for the truck, car and people.

Qashcow
If you need a spare pit girl (26 yr old male) I'm free for Dubai that weekend. Previous burpspeed pit b**ch lol

Qashcow
i'll wear whatever you want ;)

good luck with the build and everything that comes with it, im currently midway through building mine back up with a supercharger and know the feeling when it all comes together!

Black Clio GT
wow, big respect for taking this on from scratch as a first race car build...
look forward to seeing this come to life over the comming months :)

Out of interest, are you going for standard suspension with some bushes added to keep costs down or is it not worth going further?

What about rose jointed arms?
Altered top mounts like the x85 cc cars etc?

You going for full rear coilovers or spring pans?

What suspension setup are you going for?

So what's planned for this then? Not really seen much Clio suspension stuff, loads of throttle bodied or charged engines etc but suspension wise just seems to be kws, ast top mounts and a whiteline arb.

Must be more than that? Especially on a big build racer

Renault Clio 182
Im so glad someone is doing this from scratch with a road car!

I would love to have the budget to attempt something similar but this following this from start to finish will have to do for now.

I've been to the Britcar 24h since 2007 camping with a few mates in most recent times and it literally is a great race to go to. Maybe get a few to head down from here to rule the camping roost @ the 24h come the autumn in support?

Anyway if you need a free spare pair of hands (taking my place in the queue for this one) I'd love to help out in any way possible. Although mechanically i'm useless i'll be there anyway come the race and im sure an odd job or two will need doing!

You HAVE to tack them in, if not the bush gets foooked for some reason. 100% have to tack them in mate.

The sleeves do move quite a bit if not tacked, mine did over a years use on track. Although it sort of shows some (well, a lot) of the stuff on this forum is b*llocks as I was told not to bother, then this happened. Whipped them off, adjusted, welded and refitted. Done another 16 months without issue. They looked like this once moved..

IMG_6805.jpg

IMG_6808.jpg

So what's planned for this then? Not really seen much Clio suspension stuff, loads of throttle bodied or charged engines etc but suspension wise just seems to be kws, ast top mounts and a whiteline arb.

Must be more than that? Especially on a big build racer

We do Proflex, JRZ, Ohlins and Quantum as our premium options but these are circa £1000 per corner. KW Competition twin tubes are perfect for Track Day Trophy/Endurance at an £2k a kit are well priced.

Rose jointed arms are a lot of cost to implement and don't provide a massive benefit unless you are on our "premium" suspension.