ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I-Pad Help Please...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Hello, the wife and I have decided we need an I-pad and with our daughters increased demands for childrens tv like peppa pig and the likes we feel we could do with one to free up some time to get our own tv back.
The question is which one. Whats the newest biggest smallest memory version. We would also like to put movies on there so when we go on our holidays we can take it with us to keep our little girl occupied. Is it also better to buy from apple or is amazon just as good and whats the best deals out there at the moment.

Advanced thanks, ian

Listerine & Poledo
A first-gen iPad mini will do all she needs. 16gb will suffice for most things and if you want to store movies etc. go for a 32gb
You can probably get them for around the £150 as a refurbished unit, less for a used one.

Sure, you could well get a brand new, top-of-the-line iPad Air 129gb wi-fi & 4g, but what I've seen where kids interact with tablets, you'll regret ploughing that much money into what swiftly becomes a slab with a busted screen.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I'm thinking of selling a second gen iPad if you're interested mate. It doesn't get used since I've had my MacBook. It's 16GB mind. Will hold plenty of films/music etc but not mountains of it as @Goodj suggested with the 32GB.

Listerine & Poledo
All I'd say is whichever one you get, make sure it's got the lightning connector.
Any older and if you update to latest iOS versions it'll run like a bag of nails.

SQ5
How old is your daughter?

No offence but if she's under 10 I couldn't think of anything worse! It's one of the worst things you can give as she will always want it, and then it'll end up being taken to meals etc...

See it far too much these days sitting in a restaurant and kids stuck to their iPads who whinge if it's taken away.

Listerine & Poledo
That is true. ^
There are plenty of parental lock options, but the quickest way to create reclusive, over-sensitive kids is to give them open access to the internet.
Pandoras Pad, basically.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Haha I know that already with my lap-top when she cant watch peppa pig. She is 3 by the way and whilst it will get used by her my wife will probably spend a lot of the time on it tbh.
I also fancy it for the apps so she can educate herself a little at the same time.
Oh and i'd prefer a new one but thanks for the offer @Typhoon

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator

No worries mate! Personally, I wouldn't buy a new one unless you're going to have constant supervision. The amount of friends whose children have dropped/smashed them is unreal. New is the way forward if you're going to have a constant eye on it though, solely for the warranty alone and especially with each iOS8 update rolling out more bugs.

Listerine & Poledo
VERY THAT! ^

Matwe of mine has 3 ipads of different styles, and a 2yr old.
Each one has a split in the screen of some size

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ok is an apple shop best or amazon or is there an even cheaper way on the internet for a new one???

Listerine & Poledo
Groupon / Wowcher.
those kind of places normally have a promo on the go for refurbs / old stock.

But if you want a current-gen one, then you may as well go to Apple.

SQ5
Haha I know that already with my lap-top when she cant watch peppa pig. She is 3 by the way and whilst it will get used by her my wife will probably spend a lot of the time on it tbh.
I also fancy it for the apps so she can educate herself a little at the same time.

If she's already like that with a laptop then f**k getting her anything more mobile!

3 years old, THREE YEARS OLD! FFS I think I had a ball and some toy cars!

Mental, absolutely f**king mental!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I guess that's just the way things are nowadays.
Back in my day I had the same as you I think.

SQ5
I guess that's just the way things are nowadays.
Back in my day I had the same as you I think.

But why is it? Its an easy way to get a kid to shut up and that's about it, but then it turns into "I'm going to f**k about until I get the iPad" it's basically rewarding shitty behaviour.

My children will not be having their own iPads as well as not using mine or the missus, they can okay with toys and have an imagination like I used to have to do. Not grow up brainless like 90% of children these days because they've sat in front of a screen since the age of 3

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
From my knowledge of iPads and what I've been advised by others who have children and android tablets, it may be sensible to go for an android tablet as you can enable proper parental locks on it (stop access to the internet/emails/App Store etc)...and they are a lot cheaper as the don't have the "Apple tax".

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My kids are allowed 30 minutes a week on my iPad/their DS's. If they use that allowance up by Monday night it's tough s**t. Those are the rules!

My son brings some of his mates home and they're mongoloids. Utter mongoloids. No clue whatsoever how to entertain themselves.
Give my boy a book, some toy cars, or a football in the garden and he's good to go.
His mates will just sit and stare at a blank TV waiting for me to put the XBox on. I haven't even got an Xbox! Lol.

Kids have the rest of their lives to be consumed with gadgets and technology. Let them develop their own brain first though for god sake.

(In general, not aimed at you Ian!)

SQ5
Glad to hear that @Daniel.

We have friends who have three children, that are 1, 8 and 10 and they have similar rules, and everything is supervised.

It just seems the easy way out now, not realising your f**king your kids life up with it never being able to entertain themselves.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Proper chuckled at that, that'd make a awesome sketch!
They look at me like I've just sawn my own leg off in front of them when I tell them we don't have a games console in the house. Or TV's in the kids bedrooms.

That's another pet hate of mine...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
But why is it? Its an easy way to get a kid to shut up and that's about it, but then it turns into "I'm going to f**k about until I get the iPad" it's basically rewarding shitty behaviour.

My children will not be having their own iPads as well as not using mine or the missus, they can okay with toys and have an imagination like I used to have to do. Not grow up brainless like 90% of children these days because they've sat in front of a screen since the age of 3
Or weigh 18 stone when they are into their early teens. I get it lol