ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hunting on idle and down on power dCi 65

The wifes '04 DCi 65
This morning my wife went to go to work, but her car did not sound right. Started first turn of the key despite the cold but sounded like a bag of spanners.

Upon investigation it was hunting on idle, refused to rev up hardly at all nevermind smoothly, EML permanently lit, glow plug / elec warn light coming and and off randomly.

Tried again tonight, again it started first turn of the key but displayed the same symptoms. I struggled with it for a mile to try and warm it up, got 2 bars on the temp display, no change, there was a fair bit of smoke coming out the back when I was driving along but as it's dark can't confirm colour. Sometimes there's a nasty sounding rattle which I assume is it nearing a stall, sometimes in first gear it drives reasonably ok if you rev it hard and steady.

Last serviced July 09. Done 15k miles since so yes I know it's overdue.

I was first concerned with the fact the car had 15l in the tank and I filled up with another 15 on Monday night, but checked receipt and I 100% put diesel in. Been back to the garage and no reports of contaminated fuel (happened at a different local garage not too long ago).

The only thing I can think of checking is the MAF, but despite googling I still can't figure where it is, and the fact it's dark doesn't help! I'll have to try and take it to a garage to get any stored fault codes read too.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It sounds like a Level 1 fault and really needs diagnostics matey - I've got a K9K coming in today for a similar issue but i'm sure its Thermoplungers at fault.

The K9K is normally a simple enough unit to work on and could be a MAF, EGR or a glow plug/thermoplunger fault but whatever you do don't rag it everywhere matey as faulty diesels have a habbit of bending rods or destroying fuel pumps when they're being pushed but not running right. The diesel knock you describe could indeed be because its nearing a stall but it could also be because the AFR or fuel pressure is completely wrong... get it looked at rather than bury your head because the lumps aren't cheap to replace!

Mick

The wifes '04 DCi 65
I know it needs diagnostics to be sure of what's wrong, but I was wondering if unplugging the MAF or cleaning the EGR valve might shed some light on it?

It's now booked in to be looked at on Monday so it'll be drive it slow as or try and borrow a towing bar. Cheers for the reply, as at least I have an idea of what the causes could be so the garage don't leap to the most expensive conclusion. Which would be fuel pump disintegrating taking the injectors with at a cost of £1500! Due to the poor running I'm pushed into taking it to the nearest garage rather than my preferred one that I regularly use and trust.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Unplugging the EGR valve/position sensor assembly will only trip the MIL to come on all the time and won't really do much more than make it run worse/smoke like a train and IIRC the Clio II with the '65 1.5 K9K doesn't have a MAF and uses a MAP sensor so that can be ruled out. Diagnostics first and go from there matey - The one I had in today with a poor running issues was also "suspected" fuel pressure regulator, injectors and pump problem by another local garage which in the end turned out to be nothing more than the Thermoplungers control relay so ask them loads of questions to make them backup the diagnosis IF they try to extract that kind of money from you.

If you need help my phone number is on my website to so gimme a nudge and i'll try to help out if I can.

Mick

The wifes '04 DCi 65
It's back with us and sorted, was the EGR valve, AGAIN, so £200 lighter in the pocket but car's fixed. Second EGR valve we've replaced in 2yrs. Thanks for the help :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Really and these were 100% new Pierberg/Renault EGR valve and position sensor assemblies? Glad its sorted but an EGR should last longer then 2yrs.

Mick