ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Humming noise - wheel bearing?

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I'll try and keep this brief. Got a problem that's driving me mad.

Could hear a bit of a humming noise I think from passenger rear wheel.

Changed the rear discs (as they needed doing) and therefore the bearings along with them. So it now has new rear bearings.

Thing is, now I can hear the humming a bit louder. I noticed this the same day I fitted the new discs. At first I had lightly greased the shaft the bearing slips onto. I then thought maybe the whole bearing was rotating rather than the inner part staying still while the outer part rotated around that. So I took the disc back off and cleaned it of grease, put it back together and the noise is still there.

One thing that confused me during the procedure was a ring thing at the back of the bearing. The new disc and bearing did not have this ring thing. The ring thing was separate from the old bearing so I put it back on the shaft and put the new bearing on top. Without this ring thing, the disc slides (in my opinion) a little too far onto the shaft and the abs ring then does not sit right underneath the sensor.

I'm wondering if this ring this is causing the humming.

Here are some pictures of said ring thing...

This is it at the back on the old bearing (top arrow):

16052008107.jpg

and this is it in my hands after taking back apart to degrease the shaft:

24052008121.jpg

24052008120.jpg

I'm putting it on the shaft with the bevelled inner circle on, facing the car (other way round than in the pic above).

Please some one tell me if I do need this ring thing.

The humming noise is doing my nut in. I did the drivers side the exact same way but I can't hear any noise from that side.

Could be the front that's possibly causing it but it just seems a coincidence that the day I do the rear discs, the noise is worse. I have checked all the wheels for a bit of give by shaking them and they all seem fine. The brakes aren't sticking, the wheels aren't rubbing.

Help greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

RB 182 cup
have you checked the tyres? have seen a few go slighly out of shape causing a wheel bearing type noise.

you should be able to hear its the bearing when the wheel is spun freely if not the id swap the wheel front to rear or something to see if the noise moves

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Hi there i just replaced a rear bearing on my 172 2 weeks ago.

The ring is called a thrush washer and be careful as to how you put it back on, i got it wrong and it subsequently broke into about 50 bits, phoned reno (they didnt stock the part, so factory in france had to send it at a cost of £6.87).

The bearing kits dont come with the thrush washer apparently so keep that in mind for the future...

If you dont put the thrush washer on the wheel wont spin when you tighten it up. Have you changed the bearing on the other side did you say or did bearings come with the discs you replaced?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Tom, I don't think it's the tyres. I've had the same Goodyear Eagles on each side on the rear for about 18 months and the noise just seemed to get worse the day I did the discs.

Danny, ah is that what it's called. One side of it is angular but one other side (the side you see in the pics) is bevelled and it seems to marry up with the end of the shaft. I'm sure that's the way it goes (in fairness I'm not certain). I've changed both rear bearings as they came with the rear discs.

Don't know what the hell to do now. If I take it to a garage explaining all this, they'll probably rule out the back if it's had new bearings and replace the front. That's going to cost me if it is the back casuing it.

Surely a new bearing should be ok?

:S

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
So you replaced both the rear discs, both of which had new bearings in them, and its still making a humming noise?

If its a prolonged humming noise whilst driving then id bet its a bearing.

Yeah the bevelled edge should only marry up to one side (and that i could not possibly explain with out showing you how i done it) I tell you though i was well pissed when it snapped, a part so small and simple had the car off the road for 3 days!

When the cars on the jack have you spun both wheels to find out what side its coming from?

I've spun both wheels and they sounds fine. They spin freely.

You get the odd slight scrape from the pads but that's normal.

Doing my nut in.

Last edited:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
That is odd, is it coming from one side or both? Thats the only thing i could think it would be unless theres some sort of contact from the callipers maybe>?

left hand side.

no contact with calipers.

just gonna have to take it in to a garage some time i reckon and see what they say. I have to go in to a garage soon anyway as it's making (another!) funny rattly noise from the engine during idle.

groan.

Cheers for your help though.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Hi Chris,

I never had a noise on my car, the problem for me was that the washer smashed into several pieces on doing the nut up due to the wheel bearing on the new disk coming apart.

The garage just ordered a new washer, replaced the bearing and job done.

On my old ST170 when i first got it, if going above about 50 on a smooth surface i would get a humming noise, when i got the rear tyres replaced as they were low the noise stopped. Are the tyres you have continentals? If so thats what was on my Focus when i had the noise, after a bit of research its not uncommon for continentals to go egg shaped over time (production fault maybe?)

Maybe try swapping your front and rear wheels to see if the noise then shifts to the front of the car? Might also be worth heading down to local tyre center and getting the wheels balanced as well for the sake of £20 max (£5 per wheel generally)

Other than that mate im afraid im not really sure what it could be. As you say by replacing the disks you have new abs rings and bearings so there shouldnt be any noise.

Keep me updated with how you get on.

Russ

Mondeo TDCI 130
Eagle F1's? have had loads of cars in with them, they drone like hell in my opinion! Andy's exclusive has 2 on the rear, and the whine like a b**ch!! Start there matey! bet the edges are wearing a bit!

^^ Cheers guys.

Got home from work today and first tried the spare wheel, test drive - no change :(

Took off the spare and then the disc, greased up the thrust washer, put original wheel back on, test drive - no change :(

Took both wheels off, swapped the discs and bearings over on each side, cleaned the thrust washers, greased them up a bit, test drove - hmmmmm maybe a bit of change. I'm sure it's a little bit quieter. Took the passenger side back off and had a good look at the thrust washer. Seems it's very slightly bent, just the outer ring bit. Think this was caused by trying to prise of the old bearing. Anyway, straightened it up and greased it and I definetly think the noise is less. Not loads less but enough I think to suggest I'm getting closer to locating the problem.

What a carry on I've had with this!

It was never loud and passengers could't hear it but you know the annoying noise that you know is there and it's all you can focus on.

I think I might try buying a couple of new thrust washers and hopefully that will sort it.

If not, I'll just have to live with it until it gets worse.

Thanks for the input all.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Maybe get 2 new thrush washers? That could possibly be causing it should be around £12 for two new ones, or could be a flat spot on one of the tires perhaps?

I put a new thrust washer in but made no difference.

Noise wasn't terribly loud to be honest. I've had wheel bearing trouble before.

Will always get a lot louder in time. I just lived with it as it was only noticeable to me.

Was more inclined to think it was the tire or something else. Bearing was new and I swapped the whole disc and bearing to the other side and I could still hear the noise from the original side.

Anway due to other issues, traded the car in last month.

ClioSport182
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

ive changed front & rear disks pads & rear bearings and the noise still persists ! aaaahhh

I know what you mean. Never got to the route of the problem but ended up trading it in (not due to that I might add!).