ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to replace a headlight bulb - Clio 197

I thought this would be easy, but it isn't! Havings spent 30 minutes with a socket set having a look, it seem like more of a bodywork question than an electrical one...

Does anyone know how to do this on a Clio 3 / 197? There's pretty much no way that a grown adult hand can access the back of the lights to change a bulb.

There don't seem to be any threads on this topic - help appreciated! :D

I'd simply like to replace the blubs to offer a little more sparkle!

My 172 had xenons, but the 197 doesn't. Some reasonable bulbs came my way at a cheap price, so I thought why not?!

Ben H I too really want to know this!! My 172 had xenons and my 197 doesnt. I opened up the bonnet yesterday to try and fit some high-powered bulbs and after 45 mins of trying gave up!! It's near impossible! Any advice would be great!! Its pissing me right off. Taking the bumper off is an option i guess.

R5GTTx2,R11,Clio DCI
2 10mm nuts on pass side and job done. drivers side is a squeeze, more than 10minsfor the pair n u are a flid

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
A bumper off job to replace a headlight bulb!?!?!?! Dont think i will ever buy a new car

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I was told the 200 is a bumper off job. Nonsense. Takes ten mins to do both sides. People just lack common sense.

R5GTTx2,R11,Clio DCI
thank u brown bear! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a bit of ingenuity to do stuff rather than cry and send it to the dealer.

R5GTTx2,R11,Clio DCI
ah i take that back, looks like some of the people saying bumper off don't have a 197.....

RenaultSport Clio197
I read this thread after opening the bonnet on my Clio 197 and realising that changing the headlamp bulbs, particularly on the passenger side, wasn't going to be easy ...

I wanted to add my experience.

It is possible and I only had to take the top cover off the battery surround and the lid of the fuse box.

Then I got my hand past the air inlet adjacent, to where there is plenty of room to turn the bulb and get it into place (this for the main beam bulb which is the most difficult).

My advice is - do it at night, or in the dark, using a head torch - the concentrated light of the head torch really makes it easier to see what's going on.

I replaced both the main and high beam bulbs on both sides, all without taking the bumper off ... ;-)

Clio GT 1.6
Tried upgrading my bulbs on my Clio GT last night 2009 model. Spent about an hour too see if the headlight can come out at all and as for the bumper I found mine had been riveted on including the 2 bolts on either side!

There is room on the passenger side but its the driver side where the air con pipes etc are that is a struggle.

Is going the direct way without taking anything off the best option?

Craig_B

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
I've always heard that is is a bumper off job. But it isn't! It might make it easier, but why take the time taking it off.

For the passenger side take the air intake off and you can get your hand down there. Little bit harder on the drivers side but it is possible! Changed two sets over in just over an hour.