ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to remove the starter motor?

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
Possibly needing to replace my starter motor or get it refurbished. Are there any guides on how to do it? I'm hoping its pretty easy to bolt on and off.

1.6 MK2 PH2 Petrol Clio.
Are the starter motors for all the models the same?

Megane dci 130
Dissconect the battery earth lead
Undo the 3 13mm bolts from the top.(various air boxs , resinator boxs and brakets will have to be removed)

Go underneath and dissconect the main live and the smaller exiter wire.

Remove offside front wheel and withdraw the starter from the wheel arch.

182cup & 172 racecar
This seems to get asked a lot.

You should do a guide for people.I think it would be very helpful.No good me doing one as half the bits on our car are missing anyway.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
A guide would be most helpful. I've not removed one before, so usually I find a visual guide with pictures to work with before tackling it myself. I think I may have found the 3 bolts that you mean, but I can't be sure. I guess I'll just have a bash when I get a day to do it.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
Managed to get it off today. Here's what I did....

Removed K&N filter (where the airbox usually is).
Take off the heatshield and loosen the manifold bolts (you dont have to do this, but I found it allowed the maniifold to move a little later on to give more room)
Move anything else like rubber hosing out the way so theres easier access to the 3 x 13mm long bolts that hold on the Starter Motor. 2 are paired together and 1 on its own.
Once they are undone, I unclipped any wiring I could see attatched, a couple of wires led to copper bolts so I just undid the bolts because it was easy.
Now the tricky bit, the starter motor came loose with a quick tap with a hammer, so it was now just getting it out.
I got under the car, and found a wire running behind the starter. Followed it and it unplugged it. It was a bit tough, but pulled right out. Move this out the way.
Now the starter motor has room to move around, you want to wiggle it out towards the drivers side. Pushing up on the manifold once the bolts are loosened gives you more room.
I didnt have to take off the drivers side wheel, or any driveshafts, you just have to be crafty at how you get it out the maze.

I'm putting a new one in tomorrow, so fingers crossed it works!