ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with laptop power on problem please.

I'm having trouble powering on my Sony Vaio.

Model number is pcg-71911m and running Windows 7 home if that helps.

It only powers on when I have the power adapter connected, once it's on I can disconnect the adapter and it runs fine on the battery.

When I try to turn it on without the adapter the power and battery light on the front light up but doesn't boot. There is also a faint buzzing sound coming from the vent at the side, same side as the power jack.

Not all the time but it has happened, the date and time are reset once I manage to get it on.

A search on Google makes me believe it's the CMOS battery and/or laptop battery that's the problem.

I've emailed Sony support so i'll wait and see what response I get but thought I would try my luck on here too.

Thanks in advance.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Date and time reset would suggest CMOS battery. Have you let the device totally run out of power before this happened? (Some systems will use all battery power, then drain it from CMOS battery).

I'm going to replace the CMOS battery and see if that will fix it. I have let the laptop run totally out of power on more than one occasion so what you say makes sense. I've only found out while searching to try and fix this that it's damaging for the battery to let it run fully flat, I thought giving it a full cycle of charge would do more good than harm so obviously my mistake has caused the CMOS battery to drain a bit.

Thanks Don, hope this fixes it.