ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed on 1.6 16v (1999-200) wheels!

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

Hi there,

Had the car a while and love it - though I wish they hadnt changed the 16v into a 1.6 for this model :p

Anyway, At the minute I just got some crappy 5-spoke 15" Softline alloys on with 195-45-15 tyres. I want to get some 17" wheels on it as it already has a manafacturer fitted bodykit (including nice rear spoiler, and side skirts) plus full renault leather interior...so apart from the wheels its pretty nice looking already.

Some nice big wheels to fill the arches is all i want. So, to aid my searching on the net, can anyone tell me the specs for the wheels i should be looking at please? The offset and all that malarky? Its 17" ones I want. Ill post a pic soon if anyone needs to see it but hopefully youll know what im on about!

Cheers Lads,

Daz

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

Cheers mate. When you say *should* be fine, do you mean thats a definite rule for my model of car?

The trouble is, whenever Ive tried telling people what my car is they either think i really mean a 1.8 16v or an RSI or they tell me my car deosnt exist - LOL. I guess thats the problem with having one of those in-between type models that you dont see that many of eh?

Thx for your help - if anyone else has advice on where to buy or some style recommendations etc then feel free to reply.

Cheers

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

Oh, also. At present, with my 15" wheels, I had a right f**k around trying to fit them as it turned out I needed spiggot rings all round. How do I know if I will need them with any future alloys i purchase?

Sorry for being thick! :p

Daz

A well built VW

Any company worth its salt will sell the wheels that are right for your type of car and any spigot rings it may need if its a Mk2 clio 98 on then the above applies

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

Thx mate.

Ive done some reading and ive looked at these:

http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=10&P_ID=631&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=96http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=10&P_ID=631&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=96

If you look at the 17" ones, they say its 4x100 et38. Some people seem to have these on the same car as mine on the net. WIll they fit mine? some places say that et35 - 38 will fit.

I like the look of these and theyre pretty cheap for what they are, any good?

Thx again

A well built VW

Yeah mate they should be fine 35-38 not much difference just make sure you get the 4x100 ones , thats a good price aswell for wheels and tyres

Remember if its not lowered then it will look like a 4x4 with the low profiles

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

yeah thats what worries me. It seems a lot of hassle to get it lowered but im conscious of the fact that it may look like a bag of c**k with big alloys and 205/40x17 tyres on it.....with like a 10 inch gap between the tyres and the arches.

That being said, anyone know somewhere that I can get it lowered in the northwest reliably? And a price average for this type of thing?

Does anyone actually own the same car as I do and had similar issues?

Cheers!

Daz

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

Hmm. I just phoned up Rochford tyres about the link I posted above for the Dezent H alloys 17" on 205/40/17s. After telling him my car he obviously inputed into his computer and he said....hmmm yes, it will fit but you will get some rubbing and the speedo will be out by about 6mph.

Now im peeved cos he said I shouldnt go higher than 16". Ive seen lots of 1.2 and 1.4 clios on here with 17" rims on so whats that all about??

So I have two problems:

1> I dont want my car to look like its on stilts if i fitted 17" rims without lowering (but if i lower it then based on what he told me then it will definelty rub on the arches if i lower it - as he said just putting them on without lowering might rub)

2> I Dont want to buy 16" alloys as its a weird size and only 1" bigger than what I have now.

Any clarification on this for me please as I had all but press the order button but now im holding fire.

Cheers

A well built VW
  Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

yeah, i may just go for the deal i saw as its a clearance offer and ive not seen any alloys anywhere for that kind of price with tyres and balancing etc plus delivery all thrown in. At the worst case, if they dont fit i muight lose a few quid having to sell em on.

Though if they fit on ok, I then have the problem of will the 17" look gay on an unlowered car?. They probably will but I guess with 17" on my car I wont have any option to lower it with 205/40s on it....

Ive looked into getting either 17" with 195/35/17 (which is a weird tyre and expensive - Pirellis) but it adds £180 onto the price. BUT this will give me roughly the same total Diameter as my 195/45/15s do now..... Or of course the middle ground which is to get 16" alloys with 195/40/16s but the alloys cost as much as the 17s and the tyres are again, non-standard so will be a premium too.....

tsk tsk. Why is nothin simple?

I think ill just get the 205/40/17 ones for £375 all in..... the alloys are to my taste (wouldnt be my FIRST choice if money wasnt an issue but i still think theyre much better than a lot of dearer ones). I know a lot of people dont seem to like the 5 spoke alloys anymore but I think when done right - they are nice.

Thx

Daz

A well built VW

5 spokes realy suit the mk2s remember the pics when they go on

You will be able to lower the car easy 40mm I honestly dont think youll have trouble with rubbing to be honest mate

Good luck matey

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

thx buddy,

You made up my mind I think! Im just gonna have to try and wangle a day/morning off now to recieve the delivery.....

Thx for ur help Yin. Ur a gent :)